Scuba Diving

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
Just got back from a 5 week trip to Mexico where I managed to satisfy one of my addictions, Scuba Diving (unfortunately the other addiction which we all suffer from, records, was unsatisfied!)

I've been diving now for around fifteen years and have clocked up around 200 dives. I've dived Australia, Cuba, Venezuela, Thailand (East and West Coast), Malaysia, Bali, Vietnam and Mexico.

Did my Divemaster about six years ago.

I've had plenty of cool dives. Been really lucky to encounter 3 whale sharks on random dives in Asia, did a five day live a board on the West Coast of Thailand and most recently dived in Mexico's Cenotes which were some of the best dives I've ever done.

My "white whale", Mantas and Hammerheads. Desperate to dive with both of these.

Anyway, what I want to know.

Who else here is a diver?

Where are the best spots you've dived? Why?

Where do you want to go next?

Best country to combine diving and digging?

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Always wanted to do this... there's a good chance I'll end up near good scuba diving territory when moving away from the US next year... can you still start when you're in your mid 40s and good physical shape?

Sierra Leone has to be crazy for scuba diving. When I was there, visibility was 20-30 meters, I saw ship wrecks when cruising around on a fishing boat. I did a bit of snorkeling, machete-dove for rock oysters and found a small black pearl in one of them. Had it set in a gold pendant for my wife:

If things work out like I hope they will, I might shift my focus from records to scuba diving and/or surfing (which also, I have never done but always wanted to) from next year on...

• Hi Frank, there's no age limit on diving. It really is one of the easiest physical activities. There is no competitive aspect to diving meaning that all ages and levels of fitness can participate. I've even taken out virtual non swimmers on dives!

• Yep, Rescue Diver, been diving for over 10 years. Have been all over, Cuba, Egypt, South East Asia, Indo, Brazil, Australia. Would love to go on and do my DM / Instructor tickets, get around to it at some time.

• pimlicosquirrel said:
    Cuba

I read an article that said Cuba was particularly good due to the lack of industrialization - was that your experience?

• Was a commercial diver in north East Arhnem Land here in Australia. Diving remote untouched reefs in a very remote part of Australia.

I was in my early 20's and I had never dived before and ended up in North East Arnhem land when i was hitchhiking round australia. I saw a job ad in a local job centre "wanted diver no experience needed will train" couldn't say no. My training was being shown a padi video before starting work the next day.

I did 6 months work and was under water 4-5 hours a day. When i wasn't working i was dreaming of being underwater. Caught tropical fish for aquariums and did some time diving for Trepang (Beche de mere,Sea Cucumber)

Also worked in Cairns (great barrier reef) and eventually did my Rescue ticket but didn't end up becoming an instructor as the pay is generally pretty shit. The only perks where the amount of women from around the world you could shag. ( a good mate was an instructor and I shared house with him)

Did go for a bizarre interview for another diving job where they asked if i was scared of sharks and crocodiles. I said that yes crocodiles were something i didn't want to see while diving and reef sharks weren't an issue to me but other sharks would induce more fear. They informed me not to worry they had a bloke with a shotgun on board trained on the water at all times. I didn't take the job.

Got two burst eardrums in a diving accident in tassie once too.