Carter IV

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
I'll start with the minuses. I can't listen through the Drake guest track. I pick through the R Ross guest track to listen to Wayne. Other than the Jada, the Tech N9ne, Cory Gunz and Outro power pack, the guest spots are terrible. The track with John Legend could have been a burner, but the fire gets doused with baby formula mixed with corn syrup and Irish Cream. Not that it's his disposition, but Legend's shit just sounds sour to me. Don't know how else to say it.

The rest hits the spot again and again. It's comfortable and surprising at the same time. A lot of good shit keeps turning that corner. I think Lil Wayne is a great lyricist - immaculate, tight as fuck syntax/arrangement.

I don't follow this shit, I just know everybody is rich. Is Lil Wayne sporting like Kanye and Jay-Z? I mean he must stack up about the same? If not neck-to-neck, in the same column? All to say different folks wear money differently. Fun vs hungry. Life or things. I like what Wayne is chasing.

Comments

• nice words bassie. i'm gonna get stuck in this weekend.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Big Ghost Review here, in that Big Ghost style:

http://rapsandhustles.com/2011/08/25/big-ghost-chronicles-lil-wayne-the-carter-iv-review/

Nahmsayin son.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    bassie said:

I don't follow this shit, I just know everybody is rich. Is Lil Wayne sporting like Kanye and Jay-Z? I mean he must stack up about the same? If not neck-to-neck, in the same column? All to say different folks wear money differently. Fun vs hungry. Life or things. I like what Wayne is chasing.

From www.celebritynetworth.com

Kanye West net worth = 70 million
    Lil Wayne net worth = 85 million
    Jay-z net worth = 450 million

Oprah Winfrey net worth = 2.7 billion
    Steve Jobs net worth = 8.3 billion
    Bill Gates net worth = 56 billion

That site is fun.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    His rhyme scheme is getting a little too predictable.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    His rhyme scheme is getting a little too predictable.

Yes, the comfortable part. But he's got some gems that keep me from being bored of it. The beats help A LOT.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    you're kind of confusing me with "Other than the Jada, the Tech N9ne, Cory Gunz and Outro power pack, the guest spots are terrible. " i mean, you just listed 7 of the 10 guests. i'd say that means overall the guest spots are good ? i think drakes corniness works on She Will somehow. get rid of How to Love, How to Hate and Abortion and this album would be greatly improved. i overdosed on WTT over a few weeks and havent listened to it since, we'll see how long this one stays in the disc changer.

I guess I'm counting songs, not bodies. The Ross, Bruno Mars (who is this person??), Drake, TPain and John Legend songs are pretty hard to get through.
    These folks are like the worst of the worst to me lol - I don't mean to beat it to death, but how terrible Ross, Drake and Legend are still hasn't ceased to amaze me.

get rid of How to Love, How to Hate and Abortion and this album would be greatly improved.

Yea

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    his verse on that jada song was awful

have you heard all of Rawse's oeuvre to me he freshens up a lot of stale songs

for example here he saves the day (and the good beat) not stellar but solid

weezy's verse here is on some birdman level of song ruining (remember baby's freeway feature)

wayne spaztick schtick has turned into horrible bars one clever line per 3 verse song
    that's not a good batting average

b/w is that T.O? in the video...the 4loko and cheap wine sponsorship khaled forces in are hilarious

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    bassie said:

From www.celebritynetworth.com

Kanye West net worth = 70 million
    Lil Wayne net worth = 85 million
    Jay-z net worth = 450 million

Oprah Winfrey net worth = 2.7 billion
    Steve Jobs net worth = 8.3 billion
    Bill Gates net worth = 56 billion

That site is fun.

birdman is close to the jiggaman @400mil

pcmr said:

lmho - I feel like he ruins most songs he's on.
    No, I can't say I've heard everything he's done. No doubt he has some less than terrible shit. I don't hear the appeal. His voice, his flow, his writing...man doesn't bring too much to the table imo.

I am not saying Weezy is batting perfect. I am saying I think what is good on this tape is amazing.

J i m s t e r said:

http://rapsandhustles.com/2011/08/25/big-ghost-chronicles-lil-wayne-the-carter-iv-review/

Nahmsayin son.

"Aubs" - perfect!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    bassie said:
    pcmr said:

lmho - I feel like he ruins most songs he's on.
    No, I can't say I've heard everything he's done. No doubt he has some less than terrible shit. I don't hear the appeal. His voice, his flow, his writing...man doesn't bring too much to the table imo.

I am not saying Weezy is batting perfect. I am saying I think what is good on this tape is amazing.

i've considerably lowered my standards to hail ross as refreshing and he has been everywhere so you definitely need to separate the wheat from the chaff

imo i thought rozay's stock was rising (solid albums) and wayne's was falling (YMCM&new; video) but I guess i'll pay closer attention to this tape (the interlude is my fav so far) also it's clearly a matter of opinion since to me ross's voice is his greatest asset. however i agree about the writing
    I wish sandman could make a comeback and rhyme over all of ross's beats

Yea, I don't watch the ticker tape, just listen for songs I like!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    pcmr said:

wow. how is that possible?

• bassie said:
    J i m s t e r said:

Nahmsayin son.

"Aubs" - perfect!

I am dying!

This is like listenin to kittens do ballet in slow motion yo.

This nigga probably sneezes out gummi bears son. If you punched this nigga in his stomach it would more than likely make a squeekin sound b. Fuckouttahere wit this shit Aubs.

• rhymed ???Burger King??? wit ???surgery???

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    am i the only one who has no desire at all to listen to this

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

Nahmsayin son.

"If you gay n you wanna say some homogetical shit like that its cool"

"Cant believe I had to listen to almost 1:40 min of T-Pain doin that wack shit he does (you kno???where he opens his mouth n sounds come out)"

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Brian said:
    am i the only one who has no desire at all to listen to this

no. I mean, Drake and John Legend are on this album. two dudes I go to great lengths to avoid listening to. that's enough for me to pass on it. I guess I could skip those tracks, but what the fuck are they doing on this tape to begin with then?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    pcmr said:

It's not--it's probably a self-reported figure.

And LOL @ Wayne supposedly having a net worth of $70 million--that's just as ludicrous. I'd be shocked if he was worth a tenth of that.

hogginthefogg said:
    bassie said:
    J i m s t e r said:

Nahmsayin son.

"Aubs" - perfect!

I am dying!

This is like listenin to kittens do ballet in slow motion yo.

This nigga probably sneezes out gummi bears son. If you punched this nigga in his stomach it would more than likely make a squeekin sound b. Fuckouttahere wit this shit Aubs.

"This that s**t Drake listens to on his lavender iPod when he usin' his flyin' umbrella to get from point A to point B son"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    birdman flossing those lugz dollar$

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Ecstasy is killing Hip Hop.

• faux_rillz said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    pcmr said:

And LOL @ Wayne supposedly having a net worth of $70 million--that's just as ludicrous. I'd be shocked if he was worth a tenth of that.

You doubt the black gold geyser of riches otherwise knowed as Bronald Oil & Gas, LLC?

hogginthefogg said:
    faux_rillz said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    pcmr said:

You doubt the black gold geyser of riches otherwise knowed as Bronald Oil & Gas, LLC?

Didn't a little investigative reporting establish that no such company even exists?

I ASSURE YOU THAT JAY'S BUSINESS VENTURES SUCH AS CAROL'S DAUGHTER COSMETICS AND FELA (THE MUSICAL) ARE VERY REAL, SON

Brian said:

It doesn't, Variety's regurgitation of Baby's baby mama-penned press releases notwithstanding

• Wait--I was lied to by a cranial tattoo?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    lil wayne is great on "i'm on one". if you cant feel "walk into the club, fuck everybody" then i guess we're just different

pcmr said:

for example here he saves the day (and the good beat) not stellar but solid

weezy's verse here is on some birdman level of song ruining (remember baby's freeway feature)

OK - just saw this now. Personally, I think the whole song is ass and ain't nothing anyone can do to really save it. I guess everyone in that room for Drake's opening verse had to think about the saddest thing they could muster up so to not laugh at Aubs showing the fam his raps.