woo-hoo! I am a TEACHER!

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I signed my contract and I'm officially a Special Ed teacher in San Diego City Schools!I'm running a learning center at Kearny High School's Digital Media and Design School. I'll be working with kids reading at the pre-K to 6th grade level. I'm a little freaked out! But excited. I'm an intern, so I'll be teaching during the day and taking credential classes in the evening. I've never taught reading, should be interesting, I'll be using a program called Read 180, anyone used that before?I set up my classroom yesterday and the hallway was lined with dead 2-3 inch cockroaches, yippeee. Anyone who knows me knows I have only one fear in this world and that is the cockroach. Guess I'll have to get over that!

Comments

• Anyone who knows me knows I have only one fear in this world and that is the cockroach.

dont let your kids know about that!

CONGRATULATIONS MS. K!!!

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Congrats.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    CONGRATS! that's awesome...minus the roaches, blech.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Congrats.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

CONGRATULATIONS MS. K!!!

GET AM ME PHO LUNCH YOU WORK 2 DOORS DOWN PROLLY, LOL

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Anyone who knows me knows I have only one fear in this world and that is the cockroach.

dont let your kids know about that!

CONGRATULATIONS MS. K!!!
    Word up, don't show no fear. Kids can be brutal!! Seriously though, congratulations on making that power move. Teachers are sooooo underrated (and underappreciated).

• Congrats! My Dad was a teacher (retired) and my wife's a teacher. It's good work.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Good luck! You've come a long way since our first conversations about teaching. Have fun.

• Congrats! My Dad was a teacher (retired) and my wife's a teacher. It's good work.

Both my parents and 2 of my grandparents were teachers.

My brother is in business so i guess that little tradition died in the me first 80s-90s.

dave

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Good luck! You've come a long way since our first conversations about teaching. Have fun.

thanks for the advice and the inspiration, Motown. I will keep you updated on my adventures in the classroom.

• I signed my contract and I'm officially a Special Ed teacher in San Diego City Schools!

I'm running a learning center at Kearny High School's Digital Media and Design School. I'll be working with kids reading at the pre-K to 6th grade level. I'm a little freaked out! But excited. I'm an intern, so I'll be teaching during the day and taking credential classes in the evening. I've never taught reading, should be interesting, I'll be using a program called Read 180, anyone used that before?

I set up my classroom yesterday and the hallway was lined with dead 2-3 inch cockroaches, yippeee. Anyone who knows me knows I have only one fear in this world and that is the cockroach. Guess I'll have to get over that!
    FIRST OF ALL CONGRADUALATIONS, second of all i have a funny roach story. it happened monday as a matter of fact. me and my friend wayne had come back from picking up this civic that im gonna buy from a friend. we're outside my apt smoking cigs and i go "damn! look at that HUGE roach by the front door!!!". he was chilling right by the doorknob. my homie wayne gets his cellphone to try and scoot him away, the motherfucker straight up starting flying towards us!! so we took off running haha. we finish smoking and we're looking around for the roach(he was a BIG ol guy) because we didnt see where he flew off too since we ran in the opposite direction. i didnt see him so i thought it was safe to unlock the door. just as im opening the door the roach landed on my head. im freaking out trying to get the damn thing off me and in the process i must have punched the doorknob with my left hand(didnt even feel it when it hapepned but its bruised the fuck up right now). the roach falls off my head to the inside of the my apt. wayne makes it inside and is trying to kill it, i am still stuck outside! he cant catch it quick enough and it flies again this time landing on the door, so he slammed the door. im still stuck outside and the damn thing is still on my front door! he finally took off flying again and landed on a pillar some 15 feet away. i finally made it safely inside. god i hate roaches!

• hope your experiences as soulstrut moderator have helped to shape your teaching skills.
    ban the fuck outta those rowdy students!

congrats and enjoy your new job!
    mike

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Congrats Anna! Holler at me if you need any help, lord knows I've had my fill of working with the lil' tykes.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Anna,

Congratulations!!!! I wish you much success in your new and challenging career!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    CONGRATS!!!!!

so... how are we celebrating?????

I'm hungover this morning. kinda. Lets make it so that i'm hungover tomorrow morning too!

CONGRATS!!!!!

so... how are we celebrating?????

I'm hungover this morning. kinda. Lets make it so that i'm hungover tomorrow morning too!

word! Cas is back, let's celebrate!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    this is awesome anna! congratulations

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    this is awesome anna! congratulations

Seriously

Much respect Anna, teachers should get paid what movie stars make!

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I believe the children are our future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

"Give it up for my band, Sexual Chocolate...and Anna!"

Congratulations and good luck!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Congratulation...my girl is a teacher and she can't stop talking about how rewarding it is.

FBPlastic: That roach is out to get you thun. Better change the locks on your apt. lol

awww, thanks guys!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Congrats, Anna! You should invite Cas & Dibbs for the very first Show 'N Tell!

Herm

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Congrats!

• awesome news Anna!
    I wish you would have been my teacher when they tried to put me in special ed (yeah, I had some problems back when...). Anyways, watch out for the one dood that tries to rage. Some kids in special ed could really pull a 'Ikon' on a dood/dudette.
    Pea.s.