Syl Johnson sues Jay and Ye over "The Joy" off Watch The Throne

2»

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    skel said:
    Didn't you have me on ignore??
    Must have reset when the board changed formats.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I for one always find copyright law and practice and enforcement and the dirty goings on in the music biz interesting.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Damn.

Po-faced fuckers.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Is it because I'm broke?

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    There's really no two ways about this shit... it's 2011. Clear the sample or don't use it. Or youtube/whitelabel it. Don't put it on your gaudy ass, goldleaf covered blockbuster summer album where you rap about your gazillions of dollars.

Well put.

• There are obviously a lot of factors at play here. The fact that Kanye is friends with Syl and even worked with his daughter makes his refusal to monetarily honor the man's role in his craft almost a personal offense. At the same time, "Different Strokes" has been sampled to death! Along the lines of "UFO" and "Synthetic Substitution" both of which, more often than not, go unremunerated. It all comes down to money and whether you believe sampling should be a regulated craft where artists pick their source material based on how much it will cost them. The fact that Jay and Ye can pay to clear any sample they want makes it even more petty for them to turn a blind eye to this.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I need a pic of Syl Johnson in a t-shirt that says "RE MUNERATE ME"