jj os

DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
just got my mpc 1000 and i guess my question is the jj os really better for the mpc does it matter? smh

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I use an mpc1000 but I'm not very technical with it. But yes - it's infinitely better. Don't hesitate, just make the switch.

(Disclaimer: maybe they've improved the akai system drastically over the last updates. I doubt it though.)

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    huge improvement
    grid editing all kinds of shit

• I struggled with the factory OS for a few months when i first copped my 1000, then copped the free JJOS, and never looked back. Life's too short for chopping in the Akai OS, global editing and like dude said grid editing is the schitt.

I was seriously considering selling it and going back to Reason, then totally changed my mind after I started running JJ.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Way way better. Chopshop/non-destructive chopping is great.

• thanks a million, when downloading jj os does it effect anything already saved into memory? whats website do you guys recommend me to download jj os from?

• TLinTLin 18 Posts
    yes the jj os makes a huge improvement. it's honestly a completely different machine when you update the OS. There are versions of the OS you can choose from, just get the full paid version, trust me...well worth it.

you can get it here: http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/

looks like a 1990 website, but it's the official one for the OS's. It's a guy from Japan just doing it on his own.

next step - added RAM and new pads...

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Whats the deal with updating the JJOS? I got my MPC 2nd hand a few years ago & it already had the JJOS on it. Im not sure what version im on but could i possibly get some free updates for it as the downloads on the website look pretty recent?

• ZomB said:
    Whats the deal with updating the JJOS? I got my MPC 2nd hand a few years ago & it already had the JJOS on it. Im not sure what version im on but could i possibly get some free updates for it as the downloads on the website look pretty recent?

It should say what version you're running when you start it. just download the most recent update if there is one (jjos1 hasen't been majorly updated in a while), and, put on your cf card and load it up.

Also, if the previous owner only bought os1 you won't be able to use os2 or os2xl without purchasing a password for full price. At least i think thats how it is now.... dude has changed the way he sells the different versions multiple times in the last couple years.

Also, remember that beats made on os1 won't be fully compatible with os2/os2xl. mostly just attack/decay settings and shit like that not being the same. Transition is worth it, tho, as os1 does not have the non-destructive chop feature....

for more in-depth (but not fully reliable) jjos nerdery and the great, "just got a mpc. i wanna make some DOPE beats!!!!what records do i sample??" thraeds.... take that shit to mpc-forums.com!

• walter_chron said:
    ZomB said:

It should say what version you're running when you start it. just download the most recent update if there is one (jjos1 hasen't been majorly updated in a while), and, put on your cf card and load it up.

Also, if the previous owner only bought os1 you won't be able to use os2 or os2xl without purchasing a password for full price. At least i think thats how it is now.... dude has changed the way he sells the different versions multiple times in the last couple years.

Also, remember that beats made on os1 won't be fully compatible with os2/os2xl. mostly just attack/decay settings and shit like that not being the same. Transition is worth it, tho, as os1 does not have the non-destructive chop feature....

for more in-depth (but not fully reliable) jjos nerdery and the great, "just got a mpc. i wanna make some DOPE beats!!!!what records do i sample??" thraeds.... take that shit to mpc-forums.com!

sorry i trust soulstrut nerdery then mpc forum nerdery, but thanks for the input

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    un-jj related, but when i owned a 1000 i figured out how to put a bmp image file into it as your load up screen. worth looking into!