Channel 4 calls out Banksy in Graffiti Wars documentary

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
Channel 4 just aired a documentary basically attacking Banksy's integrity and his standing in the graff world.

clips might be taken down soon

Comments

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    I guess it was inevitable, tv loves drama, something the grafitti world has in spades. Pretty ridiculous though.

• holdddddddddd up. channel 4 weren't calling out banksy, they were documenting the robbo vs banksy beef. Banksy went over a Robbo piece which to many was considered the first of its kind in London. They used this a spring board to discuss the void between "street art" and "graffiti", which is an interesting and relevant debate - why is it that banksy's pieces get encased in perspex where as many classic writers get their pieces cleaned off? The discussion with the guy at the council (an analog to the MTA guy in "style wars") was interesting - he said banksy pieces stay "because they add value" whereas graffiti doesnt. and the whole thing of Banksy basically biting Blek Le Rat's style needed documenting - people have said the same during Banksy discussions on here, and thats the first time Blek has ever admonished any annoyance at seeing his distinctive rats and figures palmed off . I thought it was worthwhile, many people have bitched about the whole Robbo vs Banksy thing, so it was cool to see Robbo on screen, telling his side of the story, particularly as he is apparently in a coma due to an accident. yes it was a bit dilettante in some sections but fuckit, well done channel 4.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It was an interesting doc. Say what you like about Banksy, or his art, he plays the game pretty damn well.

But like nickolas says Channel4 weren't attacking his integrity. They gave control of their programming of the previous night to Banksy.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    yeah true - lil bit of topic title baiting.
    I also thought the comment about it being city council policy to leave banksy work and erase other because banksy 'adds value' is a real wtf moment.

• thanks for posting.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Finished watching, too bad he got hurt. Interesting story, but it's weird that this is TV fodder these days.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Robbo and folks were saying its wrong for Banksy to go over Robbo's first classic piece.
    I thought it was awesome that he did, its the streets. To deface the canal wall and city property is not wrong?
    Its street art not a fifth grade exhibition, banksy just went to the next level by putting his mark. Breaking the rules in
    graffiti they said?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "I dont beleive in global warming" to "I dont believe in war" wasn't much of an improvement now was it?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Speaking of this dude...anybody checked this yet?

it's a trip that this graffitti task force dude, a borough employee, has his team out there repairing bansky pieces. hard to maintain your street cred when you've got the city touching up your work I guess.

• SteepSteep 31 Posts
    Banksy never fades. Globe travelling artist supreme.

just finished. pretty good fusking doc! super sad, too.

I felt genuinely happy for dude when his show went well, even though I don't know him. interesting irony in his finding success as a gallery artist in the end. the zoe kravitz bit was the soulstrut icing on the cake! security dude giving him the once-over @4:09 of the last clip was priceless.

(IMO banksy's painting over the oldest piece in London was bitch, but not half as bitch as his claiming he didn't even realize the importance of the piece he was going over. dude: you had to take a kayak to access the site; if you went through that much trouble I'm pretty sure you knew what you were doing. and yeah, any exposure of the blek ripoff -- which 99 % of banksy fanboys are doubtless totally unaware of -- is a plus).

tripledouble said:
    thanks for posting.

• Sheeet...only got through part 1 and its taken down.

• Here you go. Fingers crossed this one last a while.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    All clips are taken down now.
    My comment on biting in the graff world (Banksy/Blek le Rat): biting is a part of graffiti, it's a pretty limited style that has expanded to some degree between, let's say, 1973 and 2011, but not too much really. The influential stylists can be counted on two hands and their styles are going global.
    So, in my opinion it makes no sense at all if you have problems with biting in the graff world. And Banksy took it to a level Blek didn't, full stop.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Any chance one of you saved this? I really want to see but they're all taken down so quickly.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    leon said:
    All clips are taken down now.
    My comment on biting in the graff world (Banksy/Blek le Rat): biting is a part of graffiti, it's a pretty limited style that has expanded to some degree between, let's say, 1973 and 2011, but not too much really. The influential stylists can be counted on two hands and their styles are going global.
    So, in my opinion it makes no sense at all if you have problems with biting in the graff world. And Banksy took it to a level Blek didn't, full stop.

Some of those of Blek stencils are amazing!! Anybody on here that does stencils, knows how tedious and time consuming they are. They may not be grafitti in most peoples eyes, but damn do they look stellar on concrete walls when done right.

All these dudes blow mind in their art, but who goes out of their way to 'change out' just released Paris Hilton CD's for their own explicit taste, and to tag middle east border walls. Not riding, it could be anybody, just saying.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I lean towards the conservative side when it comes to graffiti, so i side with robbo, but the same thing that makes him a real writer and a king, is exactly what works against him in a gallery. that show looked horrid.

i hope he recovers, and my thoughts go out to his children and his family

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    That king adz quote in the beginning says it all for me
    "counterculture is against hedge fund managers and bankers - they're the ones who dont buy warhols and picassos anymore, they buy banksys" And yes, this is banksys goal, by design.
    talmbout purposefuly commodifying something that doesn want to be commodified.

Also - the blek biting is such a nono. Where is the originality of vision? its just a cynical repackaging to serve your own purposes now, isnt it?

To me, the statements (political etc.) banksy makes in his works are like lite commercial versions of common sentiment - you make an anti paris hilton statement, then design madonnas record cover. Orly?

The 'tagging' of the israeli wall, with all these trite statements about freedom - to me its basically like getting one over at the expense of palestinians and israelis, to pat yourself on the back - because 'banksy is against the wall and for freedom'

Puhlease- what the fuck have you done for either people now, really, that wasnt a self serving pr stunt? In the end, its all about banksy selling to the pitts, isnt it? Or has banksy been giving some of his millions to palestinians, or any of the pc pr causes he endorses? nah son.

Additonally, the bit about him telling Robbo - 'never heard of you', being slapped and running off, then denying this ever happened? c'mon now. going over a classic and cherished piece of london graff history with some ghey ass street art, a bitch move, done out of spite for lack of recognition from 'real' writers.

Seen painted the hollywood sign in 85, when Banksy was still shitting his di.apers. No ulterior motive, except for getting up. Banksy ate his heart out. No cliche political statements needed.

Seen and the Hollywood Sign - Graffiti Stories #1 door FondationCartier

Lee did his 'stop the bomb' whole car in 78 or 79 - illegally, freehand, on a train, not to sell to galleries. It was a real heartfelt statement coming out of the largely apolitical, undergound graff world. What is banksy adding to or improving on? In my eyes, nothing. He's just reselling a stenciled version of something that already existed to make money and get mainstream recognition. I dont buy it.

bonus better than banksy piece :

ITS NO BIGGIE EVERYDAY YOU EAT SHIT MAY AS WELL CHOOSE YOUR FLAVOR INSTEAD OF SOMEONE ELSE PICKIN IT OUT... 3 MEAN FLAVORS

REAS AOK/RIS whole NYC subway car, mid-80s. Eat that, banksy, warhol and fab5freddy.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    dam, you put a lot thought into that last response. I don't care who does what I'm watching from the sidelines,
    and I'll do my own thing.

• staxwax said:
    To me, the statements (political etc.) banksy makes in his works are like lite commercial versions of common sentiment - you make an anti paris hilton statement, then design madonnas record cover. Orly?

Wasn't it Mr Brainwash who did the Madonna sleeve?

Possum Tom said:
    that show looked horrid.

Yup.

I wonder what happened to dude? Got jumped? Attacked with a bat? Dude looks pretty beastly size-wise. *PASUE*

I trip out on the fact that Banksy hasn't been outed yet. I pretty much lost faith in "the code" at this point, and holmes seems to be working with people who wouldn't follow any kind of street code regardless. He's probably gotta be careful about pissing people off.

• Herm said:
    Possum Tom said:
    that show looked horrid.

I trip out on the fact that Banksy hasn't been outed yet..

well, so the story goes, this is him

and this is him as a kid

but the thing is, people are more interested in the myth than the man.

heres that story if you want to read it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1034538/Graffiti-artist-Banksy-unmasked---public-schoolboy-middle-class-suburbia.html

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    Herm said:
    Possum Tom said:
    that show looked horrid.

I trip out on the fact that Banksy hasn't been outed yet..

well, so the story goes, this is him

and this is him as a kid

but the interesting thing is, people are more interested in the myth than the man.

Yeah, I've seen that (and believe it), but I meant publicly outed. I figure by now some news outlet would be rushing to be the first.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Face fits the description people have made of him in the past (down to the wearing of glasses that Robbo said he picked up and ran way with when he slapped him in the pub).

• Here's Banksy's (he co-directed) The Antics Roadshow from Channel 4 the night prior to Graffiti Wars.

The Antics Roadshow - An Incomplete Guide To... by CasseTrop

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    The Blek thing is enough to cause a hipsteur backlash.

• Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    The Blek thing is enough to cause a hipsteur backlash.

Are the hipsters responsible for his continued success? I always assumed he was far more mainstream than that now. He's like the Athena art of the past decade.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    The Robbo piece was actually pretty illegible by the time Banksy did his piece: