Anonymous #opBart

TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
Looks like Anonymous has grown from a handful of disgruntled "V is for Vendetta" fans wearing masks and congregating outside The Scientology Celebrity Center into an international network of "hacktivists" who even get top billing on Democracy Now. They claim to be on the people's side of the BART protest yet they released many of those same people's telephone numbers, street addresses and passwords.
Are Anonymous a shadowy network of cyber- cherubs diligently protecting the good of the proletariat or just a bunch of wacktivist power-mongers using their internet skillz to get some shine?

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    They aren't even really a network, though. It's just like-minded people independently choosing to take similar action. They aren't even a they.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I love how they think claiming to do their shit "for the people!" gets them off the hook for the fucked-up stuff they do to...you know...the people.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    They aren't even really a network, though. It's just like-minded people independently choosing to take similar action. They aren't even a they.

So more like Roddy Piper than the Weather Underground?

It would be interesting to hear more about their intentions, I guess. Kind of creepy/Grandpa Simpson in the way they're currently making vaguely rationalized theats (that appear to harm the general public).

This is an aside (and not a perfect comparison), but I think the EZLN were fantastic at communicating clearly what they were about, and I think that made them more legitimate to people in Chiapas and D.F. I was just there (both places) on vacation and the situation in Chiapas in much better than before the EZLN got involved (and they are openly regarded as heros) - more resources from the state (which they sorely needed) and an (uneasy) balance of autonomy for the indigenous communities. I just think people are more likely to support change if it's popular but also clearly rationalized.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    It is somewhat amusing that a group of admitted hackers are whining about the "legality" of phone service being shut off.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    "legality"

Not really in question is it? Is it not illegal to shut down 911 service?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    "V is for Vendetta" fans wearing masks

And i am now realizing that it is possible for me to miss losers wearing Scream masks

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DOR said:
    Rockadelic said:
    "legality"

Not really in question is it? Is it not illegal to shut down 911 service?

Of course it is.

b/w

Pot Meet Kettle Related

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    "anonymous" derives from 4chan where every poster has the default name "anonymous"..its just stupid kids with nothing better to do with their life really..