Attack the Block - wicked summer movie-R

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
Had no idea what to expect and came out of there saying I'm going back for a second time.
Really well done, great characters - even the women!, pitch perfect acting and the whole thing is eye-candy, with one particularly stunning sequence.

If you know a teenager, take her/him.
Some violence, drugs and swearing, but none of it gratuitous.

Best summer flick I've seen in a long time.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Oh shit.. I was wanting to see this. I should have bugged you to go see it!!!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    saw a sneak preview in may, thought it was great. think i remember some of the brits round here hating on it though......

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yea, I'm expecting the hatt. Whatever.

DOR - Yes, you miss out on all kinds of good things when you don't call me.

• bassie said:
    Yea, I'm expecting the hatt. Whatever.

I can't recall reading any bad words about it around here. I haven't seen it yet but have heard nothing but good things...

Although it seems weird to see Joe Cornish, better known here as one half of Adam & Joe, making Hollywood moves (think he was involved in the latest Spielberg film, too).

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    One of the best things about living in LA is getting to see sneak previews of movies like ATTACK THE BLOCK with a director Q&A, only to have producer Edgar Wright show up as well. The movie rocked, kinda like SEAN OF THE DEAD meets LA HAINE meets TREMORS meets Spielberg, which can't be a bad thing especially when the script actually has something to say and the actors go for it 150%.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This opened in the UK just around the time I moved abroad, so I never got to see it at the cinema. When I was back in the UK last month, I noticed the DVD was available for pre-order in some stores, so I may well have to cop when it comes out.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the trailer looks awesome
    thanks for putting me up on this

• thropethrope 750 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Saw it. Was pretty good! Enjoyed it thoroughly. Music was really great in the film. Set the mood.

Bassie. If you wanna see again. I'm down!

• Finally got around to seeing this. It's in second run here in Portland so you can see it for cheap and drink a beer at the same time which is perfect for this one.
    Its fun and it has some social commentary - like the best science fiction does.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Finally caught this on DVD last week, and I loved it. It has a definite early John Carpenter vibe, of which I approve heartily, and the young cast is pretty impressive. It was a slick move portraying the gang as a shower of nasty little toerags, even the ones with a conscience about being nasty little toerags ("Why you robbin' poor people, Moses?") because this makes it all the more surprising to find yourself pulling for them as the film unspools and they, or more accurately, Moses are offered an opportunity for redemption. Nice also to have a "we need to live together" moment at the end that isn't totally cornball and signposted in six-foot-high letters. 8/10.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Watched it mainly because of Nick Frost, but was pleasantly surprised. A grittier Super-8 in my opinion.

Basement Jaxx did a pretty decent job for the score.

Highly recommended!

• enjoyed it, but not as much as I was expecting to (massive fan of Joe Cornish, have everything he's done and listen regularly to his radio show). not a bad flick at all just not quite as epic as Shawn (still the best), and i'm getting a bit tired of Nick Frost playing the same character over and over. Felt some of the "yes bruv" characterisation was a bit too stereotypical but then again, compare to Kidulthood and such and it pales in comparison.

nice that this insight into our yoof appeals to those of you over the pond tho - one step closer to getting you to listen to Wiley. ;)

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    loved it! perfect popcorn flick (and then some)

good job on the monsters, too.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    LTTP but finally saw this as well.

Was a bit dubious going into it due to the inclusion of Frost on the cast list and the overwhelming positives I'd heard from people.

Was therefore delighted to find that I really enjoyed it and thought it was a really well made comedy horror film that managed to give nods to influences without the kind of smug winking approach of Shaun and other Edgar Wright projects. Use of minimal Frost was a good idea and the relatively novice cast were all extremely entertaining.

• I thought it pretty much totally sucked. wtf? That movie was awful.