Dave Lee?

down_beatdown_beat 57 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
This guy was a session drummer in NY, played on Strata East records (in fact I think he is actually a Descendent of Mike & Phoebe) as well as other jazz in NY, early 70s onwards. He released an LP called Evolution as Dave Lee Jnr on Supernal Records, NY. Small press I'm sure. Anyone know more about him & his family? Anyone know what else he did, and where I might find a copy of that LP?

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    That's Spike Lee's dad.

• That's Spike Lee's dad.

I believe Spike Lee's dad is Bill Lee, a bassist...

• legendlegend 124 Posts
    This guy was a session drummer in NY, played on Strata East records (in fact I think he is actually a Descendent of Mike & Phoebe) as well as other jazz in NY, early 70s onwards. He released an LP called Evolution as Dave Lee Jnr on Supernal Records, NY. Small press I'm sure. Anyone know more about him & his family? Anyone know what else he did, and where I might find a copy of that LP?

i have one.

• David Lee Jr. was from New Orleans and resides there now. The Supernal LP holds a Strata-East catalog number, but must have been overlooked when it came time to issue it. Lee's playing can be found on the Alan Braufman LP on Indian Navigation (excellent record), the Charles Rouse LP on Strata-East and a few other things here and there through the '70s. I wrote about the Evolution LP in an old column in Wax Poetics. FYI, Lee unfortunately has no more LPs at the crib.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i think van halen fell the fuck off as soon as sammy haggar got hatched.

• blakatomblakatom 95 Posts
    Christ I'm 6 years late to this discussion but thank you (voyeuristically) for the information. I've been on a real bender listening and searching for this music lately. Amazing music in the Strata-East, Strata, Black Jazz realm at the moment.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    There's rumor of a dealer with small quantity on the Evolution LP, but they are quite pricey (despite being sealed).

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    Thanks for the Info DC, i def. need to check out that Indian Navigation LP.

Also Evolution is available as a deluxe Reissue by SoulJazz/Universal if i remember correctly?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    musica said:
    There's rumor of a dealer with small quantity on the Evolution LP, but they are quite pricey (despite being sealed).

Who? I've been after this for years but I'm not paying $500 for a VG/VG+ copy. I'd drop some doe for a sealed one quick.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Breez said:
    musica said:

Who? I've been after this for years but I'm not paying $500 for a VG/VG+ copy. I'd drop some doe for a sealed one quick.

PM Sent