August finds

exte82exte82 202 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
Photobucket

Last two seems to be quite rare...

Comments

• Found this the other day, but unfortunately without the cover.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    exte82 said:

Last two seems to be quite rare...

I've had a couple of Ebony Singers LPs, I think that one sells for the cover more than anything. You think it's going to be Spiritual Jazz but then it goes all Gospel Opera.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    OK, Bump? .... got these on the last day of July I think. One came from SlickRick_1988 (I ordered it in June ) The rest were a buck.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    gordon_gartrell said:
    Found this the other day, but unfortunately without the cover.

I found a copy of this earlier this year, but with the cover. Not much thought put in the cover, but a nice message about McGee from the exec. prod.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    jumped into a garbage container, trying to salvage a shitload of water damaged 45s, after sorting and cleaning, and ending up throwing half of these back where they came from, now my kitchen is smelling very much like sour fungus, daaamn haha

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Got a small but tasty package from Nigeria two days ago... Highlights are the Clusters 45, the (seemingly unknown) Orlando Julius & Evelyin Dance Band 45 on Philips and the Sahara All Stars LP which was a longtime want. The rest are mostly spares to be displayed at inflated prices at the FMU fair this October.

African Reggae for the most part has a bad rep. I don't know a thing about Reggae but am really digging this track: Ghanaian Band The African Brothers International recorded this 45 in London while on tour in 1974 for a private label run by Akie Deen from Sierra Leone. Someone must have bought this copy and brought it to Nigeria where my Ghanaian friend Ken found it and sent it to NYC. Probably not a particularly hard record to find in England. So deep and so hauntingly beautiful...

Hwe Anna

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Frank said:

African Reggae for the most part has a bad rep. I don't know a thing about Reggae but am really digging this track: Ghanaian Band The African Brothers International recorded this 45 in London while on tour in 1974 for a private label run by Akie Deen from Sierra Leone. Someone must have bought this copy and brought it to Nigeria where my Ghanaian friend Ken found it and sent it to NYC. Probably not a particularly hard record to find in England. So deep and so hauntingly beautiful...

Hwe Anna by Voodoo Funk

This sounds like a reggae take on something very familiar. Nice and mellow though.

EDIT: Something very familiar sounds like a take on Hwe Anna:

???

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Frank said:

Hwe Anna by Voodoo Funk

This sounds like a reggae take on something very familiar. Nice and mellow though.

I know, it somehow sounds almost eerily familiar but I can't put my finger on it...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Or maybe something else!

Something made me think The Kinks, too.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

A short sneak preview for both sides of the Clusters 45.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• I think the Assagai deserves a bit more prominence in that first photo. Nice find!

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    upskiboo said:

Jazz Quintet '60, woop!!! Nice find.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

a long time want: Vitamin C on 45

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One local HPB had a sale last night from 9 to midnight that was quite unusual....they advertised for 2 weeks and about 30 people showed up.....at 9:00PM straight up they wheeled out 15 carts of records with 200 per cart.....everything was 4 for a dollar.....it was an amazing sight with no sharp elbows and no bad vibes at all....I bought 47 LP's and these were the highlights....condition was tops on everything I bought....they say it was a success and will happen again.

Lower right corner is Yesterday's Children from Cisco Junior College and featured this dude.

Who made it big many years later....

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    This week's cops: Zoser 45 (Minnesota psych from 1971), Italian neo bootboy glam Giuda LP (new) and a perfectly-sized vintage Capitol Records 45 box a co-DJ gave me in the parking lot at last night's Blackeyed Soul Club gig in LA:

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Love that Zoser 45, it's a long time want of mine.

:feelin_it:

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    My neighborhood thrift yielded some rad central american 80s heat and an SOUL:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Craig said:

it needn't have been a long-time want, this guy has been selling off original stock copies for years now:

http://www.rockitrecordsusa.com/catalog/Zoser_Hexagon.php

they were $10 a couple of years ago, now they are a still amazingly-cheap $20.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    Craig said:

it needn't have been a long-time want, this guy has been selling off original stock copies for years now:

http://www.rockitrecordsusa.com/catalog/Zoser_Hexagon.php

they were $10 a couple of years ago, now they are a still amazingly-cheap $20.

Thanks a lot mate Ive just grabbed one.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Rock

Funny cuz I saw the sign but it mentioned nothing of records. thought it was simply a book sale.

• musica said:
    My neighborhood thrift...

S.O.U.L. for peanuts at a thrift shop is the very definition of coming up, congrats. that bishop norman lp you got is pretty cool also.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Highlights from Mexico City's first record convention. While people was paying 60 bucks for Beatles stuff I managed to pick up these (and some other minor stuff) for the same amount. No raers or anything, but worth the visit:

Detail of the bottom right LP (mexican comp of funk inc James Brown, Fatback Band, etc.):

Some mexican stuff:

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    update from an ongoing excavation, jam packed home/basement of a apparently deceased 70s dj/activist/promoter type person. Its all second hand info and ive no direct access to the site, but the guys shoveling the stuff out are letting me snoop through it first so whatever the story is, its working for me so far. plus a few other things mixed in.

^ B. Wilson autograph from an acquaintance who worked at Amoeba in LA, got it at his "lucky old sun" instore in 2008

^ german Beatles from another source. this is the one with the different mixes i believe.
    super stoked on the esther williams. its that sort of collection, cool surprises that have been buried since like 1980.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    today I bought a 1500 piece collection of mostly brazilian records. Lots of great psych and stuff.
    I havn't looked through all of them but i picked a few random ones to post here:

Sorry for the bad quality, maybe I will post better ones tomorrow.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    today I bought a 1500 piece collection of mostly brazilian records. Lots of great psych and stuff.
    I havn't looked through all of them but i picked a few random ones to post here:

Shiiiiiiiiet.

Set sale coming up?

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    finelikewine said:

Damn, this is a treasure.....!

Dante said:
    finelikewine said:

Unfortunatly

Shiiiiiiiiet.

Set sale coming up?

yes, unfortunatly. After buying this collection I'm completly broke. I have no other chance than to sell a big part of it.
    I don't have a clue how to price them, though... Popsike, collectorsfrenzy & discogs can't help here, because lot of obscure brazilian stuff isn't listed. In the collection are a lot of brazilian pressings of classics and lots of psych/kraut rock raer.
    I have no clue if these brazilain pressing are worth more or are more sought after than the regular pressings.
    Can anyone school me on this topic?