Half Black - Half Latino Spiderman

2»

Comments

• I dont get the blanchett as dylan picture. Everyone knows she has a dick.

• All of 2099 was horrible.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    speakmumbles said:
    All of 2099 was horrible.

Yeah - it just wasnt sustained. Spider-Man 99 was alright.

Books based on alternate universes dont ever outdo the OG. Its cool for a hot second and shit withers eventually.

Once the guys who started the writing leave its usually a wrap.

• ultimate has been out for 11 years, and i think the story telling in most cases out does its 50 year counterpart. seeing the sinister six do enough damage to themselves and spidey was a long time coming, and i think that whole arc was well done. who knows if this new kid will be any good, and im still trying to figure out why its news.

maybe we need black frank castle back.

speakmumbles said:
    ultimate has been out for 11 years, and i think the story telling in most cases out does its 50 year counterpart. seeing the sinister six do enough damage to themselves and spidey was a long time coming, and i think that whole arc was well done. who knows if this new kid will be any good, and im still trying to figure out why its news.

maybe we need black frank castle back.

You cant possibly place an eleven yea run aganst a 50 years run and all its variants.

Thats crazy talk. If it was so much better they wouldnt be pullin this gimmick to draw more readership.

buggin.

• like i said before, i enjoy having characters killed to never come back again. ultimate killed off most of the characters during the ultimatium finale, and i've yet to see them show up again in the newer ultimate comics imprint. the main continuity has people cycle in and out of "life", and it holds no weight.

AND

they have restarted characters over and over again during marvels run, as has also D.C., retconning their products to make them seem more modern, or to gain a current/younger generations readership. thats essentially what the ultimate line was created for. now with the advent of digital comics, someone could essentially go back and read every issue to figure out what had taken place over 40 years, but before this was common, you'd just have to start collecting and reading and jump in...ultimate gave you a perfect spot. modern, crazy, and final.

speakmumbles said:
    like i said before, i enjoy having characters killed to never come back again. ultimate killed off most of the characters during the ultimatium finale, and i've yet to see them show up again in the newer ultimate comics imprint. the main continuity has people cycle in and out of "life", and it holds no weight.

AND

they have restarted characters over and over again during marvels run, as has also D.C., retconning their products to make them seem more modern, or to gain a current/younger generations readership. thats essentially what the ultimate line was created for. now with the advent of digital comics, someone could essentially go back and read every issue to figure out what had taken place over 40 years, but before this was common, you'd just have to start collecting and reading and jump in...ultimate gave you a perfect spot. modern, crazy, and final.

lazy bitches need to get their read on.
    Learn the game or pick up some fake bullshit that has the life expectancy of a celery stick.

read the bible or listen to Jesus Christ Superstar

• My friend wrote a nice piece on this:

http://roshow.net/2011/08/yes-its-a-marketing-ploy-so-are-most-things-you-like/
    ??"
    Yes, it???s a marketing ploy. So are most things you like.
    Posted by Rolando Garcia on Aug 4, 2011 in Non-fiction, Opinion
    There???s a new Spider-Man these days: Miles Morales. He???s half-black, half-hispanic, all controversial.
    Let???s forget about the racists who hate him just because he???s not white. There???s another group of people out there who have a genuine, non-race motivated argument which is still utterly baffling to me. It???s an argument that you hear not just among comic book nerds. It???s an argument we???ve all heard about a million things: ???this is stupid because it???s just a marketing ploy.???
    Well kids, I???m hear to break the news to you: whoever you are, whatever you like, if you pay money for it, odds are it was created as a marketing ploy to get your cash.

The only difference between awesome stuff, crappy stuff and everything in between is how good the execution of the marketing ploy is. If it???s good enough to serve as both a way to get your cash and to enrich your life then the creators have transcended and made awesome stuff. If it???s good enough to get your cash and pass the time, then it???s okay stuff. If it???s good enough to enrich your life but doesn???t get enough of your cash it???s awesome stuff for you but crappy stuff for the creator trying to make a living. And if doesn???t get your money because it???s so atrociously bad then it???s crappy stuff.
    No one thought to paint the Sistine Chapel???s ceiling because it would simply be ???awesome art stuff.??? The Pope wanted the painting as a marketing ploy to get him into history. Michaelangelo painted it as a marketing ploy to get some cash and fame to keep doing the sculpting he loved. If not for that marketing ploy we would have been denied one of the greatest pieces of art ever.
    Since we began by talking about comics, how about my favorite fictional character of all time, Batman? The idea for Batman did not come from artists with a passionate need to tell engaging stories about a nuanced character devoted to fighting injustice. The idea exists because a publisher said to some artists ???that Superman character is making a lot of money. Make me a spandex-wearing costumed crime fighter and I???ll pay you.??? That didn???t turn out so bad, now did it?
    All I???m saying is the fact that an idea was born of a marketing ploy is not a reliable indicator about how good or bad the final product will be. Many of humanity???s best ideas have their origins in marketing ploys to make a buck.
    The Wu-Tang Clan is undeniably the greatest rap group of all time. And their biggest reasoning for becoming that good was to create a marketing ploy that could get them out of the projects. In their no-holds-barred way they laid out the truth in a simple chorus from one of their earliest hits. I???ll end on their words:
    Cash rules everything around me
    C.R.E.A.M.
    Get the money
    Dolla??? dolla??? bill ya???ll
    "

it wont get my cash.

i dont know why dudes are defending it.

the Scarlet Spider was a failure. spidergril,spiderpig.......2099.

marvel can spin this character for whatever dumb demographic they want.
    in the end the og stands the test of time.

there are ploys and there are bad ploys that are more gimmick than thought out idea.

• Scarlet,cosmic,iron, spider-armor, fantastic four, cyborg, insulated,stealth,unlimited,future foundation and a black blob of goo. All changes promoted to capture reader interest.

good ol' bag head.

speakmumbles said:
    Scarlet,cosmic,iron, spider-armor, fantastic four, cyborg, insulated,stealth,unlimited,future foundation and a black blob of goo. All changes promoted to capture reader interest.

good ol' bag head.

I dont equate a costume change to a whole new character change.

Symbiote(Venon/Secret Wars Alien) wasnt a REBOOT it was written within the Spider-Man Story.
    (Even if it was Marvel way of altering Spider-Man during the Jack Kirby Lawsuit).

Hiding behind " its all supposed to just sell books" is some lazy critique shit.

Teenage Iron Man is not the same as Stealth Armor Iron Man.
    Ben Reilly Spider-Man is not the same as Fire Resistant Web Fluid.
    Red Hulk isnt the same as Mindless Hulk.

Read a Gimmick for what it is.

This is often done when trying to appeal to children or excitable adults, who often get more excited about the gimmick than the product.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    batmon said:
    it wont get my cash.

You just mad aint no black batman. Don't HATE homeboy.

- spidey

SPlDEY said:
    batmon said:
    it wont get my cash.

You just mad aint no black batman. Don't HATE homeboy.

- spidey

There is a 'Black' Batman. And they didnt paint/retcon Bruce Wayne to achieve it.

Dont HATT yourself homie.

BATWING of Batman INC.

• polybags,holograms, and diecut-foil covers

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Who wants to be who?

Really, if you want a predominate Black/Hispanic superhero just create one, put your marketing line behind it, and hire writers that have consistently proven themselves on it. There is no need to try and bascially shoe horn him in another persons spot cause all it does is create some resentment of the character based pretty much solely on his race cause now people think you killed off the original just to pander to/acquire another demographic. Sure the controversy will sell and it will give you free publicity but a month or two down the road nobody will really care and all you will be left with is a unfamiliar comic without the name brand of Peter Parker to appeal to people. I am all for multicultural superheroes, I just do not think this is the best way to go about it. (If you really want an ethnic hero give Black Panther a movie and put him in the upcoming Avengers movie. That Is what I mean by putting your marketing line behind something with an original character.)

:beer: