New record store in Nyack

Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
I suppose this could go inthe announcements, but I am not affiliated in any way, and this is for a good cause.

This store opened less than two months ago and is already making Facebook posts about probably going out of business. That would be sad.

Check out the Vinyl Lounge if you can!

http://www.vinylloungeny.com/

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    although I don't want to see any record store to go under, I have to ask, why do people open businesses without enough capital to get them through at least a year? The thought that you can open any kind of storefront and be sustainable within a month or two is delusional. Shouldn't a business plan include enough to cover overhead for at least year before you even open the doors?

• The_Hook_Up said:
    although I don't want to see any record store to go under, I have to ask, why do people open businesses without enough capital to get them through at least a year? The thought that you can open any kind of storefront and be sustainable within a month or two is delusional. Shouldn't a business plan include enough to cover overhead for at least year before you even open the doors?

my sentiments exactly

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    NYACK?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    That part of Nyack got hit by major flooding about 6 weeks ago, I wonder if that set them back.

b/w

Nyack does not strike me as a good place to have a record store (flooding aside).

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    "Currently Not Buying" is the worst business move a used record store can make....you ALWAYS have to look at whats being offered in case it's the motherlode. When I have seen this sign in the past at stores it was because the owner had a hard time telling people "No" when it came to buying their chud.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    "Currently Not Buying" is the worst business move a used record store can make....you ALWAYS have to look at whats being offered in case it's the motherlode.

So true, this is basically a white flag.

I have never, for a single day, said I wasn't buying. The closest I have come is, after buying a number of large quality collections, to tell my staff to be extra picky because we just spent a lot of money and have a ton of great stuff.

As soon as you tell that dude who needs rent money that you aren't buying he will just take his good records elsewhere where he can count on some dough.

If you aren't buying, then soon you won't be selling either.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    "Currently Not Buying" is the worst business move a used record store can make....you ALWAYS have to look at whats being offered in case it's the motherlode. When I have seen this sign in the past at stores it was because the owner had a hard time telling people "No" when it came to buying their chud.

There's a great store in New Mexico called "We Buy Music". They have a massive sign on the front of their shop, which is located on one of the busiest streets in town. Needless to say their New Arrivals section is stacked.

Horseleech said:
    Nyack does not strike me as a good place to have a WREKA STO.

sayin'

• Horseleech said:
    That part of Nyack got hit by major flooding about 6 weeks ago, I wonder if that set them back.

b/w

Nyack does not strike me as a good place to have a record store (flooding aside).

Yeah that flood was on their opening day. Good omen.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    I grew up 20 mins from Nyack. don't see how a record store could survive in that city regardless of flooding. it's a bar town. nice strip with some antique stores and such but horrible idea. I used to clean up in Nanuet at Tapeville USA tho. that closed like 10 yrs ago tho.

• Vinyl Lounge
    if you love vinyl, or music at all, in any genre, and would like to purchase it locally - i would probably do it in the next 2 weeks.

Vinyl Lounge zero customers = no bueno

Vinyl Lounge
    it's rent day! so come on down and let's keep the lounge open!

LOL what a business model.. reminds me of those jokers who set up a store near Wall Street marking up Shrine's back stock and lasted about 45 days.