Cocktail Strut

pimlicosquirrelpimlicosquirrel 772 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
What are you feeling out? what are you making at home? Rep some cocktail jernts.

Out
Martini, no tricks.
Aperol Sour's, cotdayum these are good and ghey.

In
Sazerac, It's costs me a nearly 100 dollars for a bottle of Buffalo Trace in Australia, that's like 300 in US dollars for a 30 dollar bottle. Economics is weird.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    that sazerac sounds good

my two summer faves are caipirinha and my own italian mist (gin,fresh grapefruit juice,splash of fernet, tonic) this local Quebec gin is off the hook

in the winter i go for
    Bison apple martini

+

+

+
    Cider pressed Apple Juice

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    In the summer I mostly stick to tequila and rum.

Daiquiri - Lime, Rum and a little sugar shaken with ice. You need to use demerara sugar or it won't dissolve properly.

Most of the time though Rum or Tequila, a little tonic and some lime. Nothing fancy but really refreshing,

Been drinking a lot of this lately.

• pcmr said:

uhhh.... lemme holler at THAT. im an absolute fiend for gin. this summer has been dominated by hendrick's n tonic with a cucumber slice. and when it comes to rail, it's always bombay or bust, fuck a tanqueray.

• Made a habenero tequila grapefruit margarita last week and it was damn good.

drop half a habenero in a bottle of 100% agave (liquor store recommended a really great bottle -- can't remember the name but it was damn good for the price (19.99). Let infuse for 24 hours or so.

Mix with fresh grapefruit juice over ice and a salted rim. You prob won't want more than 1, but it's a tasty drink.

Otherwise, I'm drinking bourbon or beer.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    CousinLarry said:

LOL! The mere mention of Barbancourt around my (former) Haitian in-law's stirs up quite the ruckus.

HarveyCanal said:
    CousinLarry said:

LOL! The mere mention of Barbancourt around my (former) Haitian in-law's stirs up quite the ruckus.

They don't like it? Why?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    pcmr said:

uhhh.... lemme holler at THAT. im an absolute fiend for gin. this summer has been dominated by hendrick's n tonic with a cucumber slice. and when it comes to rail, it's always bombay or bust, fuck a tanqueray.

i was a straight bombay man myself, then hendricks came along, fuck gordon's and anything else
    the quebec herbs give this gin a nice twist (you try victoria canadian gin yet?) and @ 30$ its a no brainer
    sadly they are drying up here in QBC (crossing my fingers bottles are left when i go tomorrow)
    you need to come to quebec to cop might as well make a trip out of it

so glad barbancourt is back in the province
    maracuya juice+rum 4 dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I don't usually like gin but this was pretty damn tasty.

Corpse Reviver No. 2

Ingredients:

Ice
    3/4 ounce gin
    3/4 ounce Lillet Blanc
    3/4 ounce orange liqueur, preferably Cointreau
    3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon Absinthe

Directions:

Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Add the gin, Lillet Blanc, orange liqueur, lime juice and absinthe. Shake well, then strain into a chilled cocktail (martini) glass.

Garnish with the cherry. (when I had one a couple weeks ago it was garnished with a star of anise)

• chrisflyerchrisflyer 275 Posts
    I'm all about dark & stormys, but i'm having a hell of a time finding a ginger beer I like. gonna have to cop loose bottles of a regional brew from a pizza spot that gets them in bulk, since they don't sell them in grocery stores.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    summer means just either a greyhound or gin (Hendrick's) and tonics for me

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    You can't go wrong with a well made mojito in this heat.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    CousinLarry said:

They don't like it? Why?

They love it...far too much in fact.

HarveyCanal said:
    CousinLarry said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    CousinLarry said:

They don't like it? Why?

They love it...far too much in fact.

I can relate, it is a great rhum, especially for the price.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts

Suffering Bastard, they way they make it at Anvil (Houston), is a perfect summer cocktail.

1 oz Bourbon (Buffalo Trace)
    1 oz Gin (Beefeater)
    1 oz Lime Juice
    1 dash Angostura Bitters
    4 oz Ginger Ale (Polar)

Pour everything into a double old-fashioned glass filled with ice cubes. Garnish with a mint sprig and orange wheel speared with a cherry.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Mezcal Margarita:

Del Maguey Crema De Mezcal contains 90% Mezcal and 10% unfermented agave syrup as sweetener. 100% pure organic agave, nothing else added, 40% alcohol.

I fill a pitcher with ice, add a third of a bottle of Crema De Mezcal, juice from 4 limes (depending on the limes you might need more, sometimes 3 will suffice, key limes are best and because they're small and sweet you can use a lot of them) and 1 orange... so good! Normally, you shouldn't use a salted rim for a premium Margarita but in this case it compliments the smokyness of the Mezcal.

Tequila Margarita (I poasted slightly different recipies before, this is the latest and improved version):

If you're on a budget, Cazadores Silver is a great value for the price. If you want to spend a bit more try Centenario Plata. Spending over $35 on a Margarita Tequila doesn't make sense but don't touch any of the bottom shelf stuff that's not 100% agave, what you would get is 80% corn alcohol, good to defrost a windhield but not recommended for human consumption. I don't use Triple Sec or any type of sour mix. Triple Sec, Cointerau or Grand Marnier are nothing but cheap brandy with sugar and citrus aroma, who would want to ruin perfectly good tequila with this shit? Instead, I make my own citrus syrup by simmering a whole, thinly sliced orange and a lemon (don't use lime for this -unless you managed to find key limes, the peel from some larger limes can turn the whole thing bitter) in pure cane sugar (about 6 table spoons for half a bottle of tequila) with two shotglasses of water for maybe 20 minutes. Only use organic fruit for this! Cool down the pot in a sink full of ice water. Fill a large pitcher with ice. Pour the amount of tequila you want to use into a smaller pitcher and add some of the syrup (after removing the slices of citrus) and fresh lime juice (about 6 large ones or 12 key limes for half a bottle of tequila). Now it's all about tasting and finding the right ballance of strength, sweet and sour. The quantities mentioned are pure guesses, the acidity of limes and the amount of juice you get from one fruit always varies. Once you're there, pour it over the ice into the large pitcher add some thin slices of lime (never use the ends they can be extremely bitter) and find a place in the shade.

It might be the most un-hip drink ever but I have to admitt that I'm a big fan of a nice Mint Julep. Last time I used Jim Beam Rye and shit was dangerously delicious.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Lavender steeped Lemonade(Newman's Pink or Virgin) w. Vodka

Black Currant Juice and a splash of club soda w/ Vodka

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Jim beam rye is a massively underrated whiskey....very cheap and way better than most overpriced small batch hoity toity whiskeys.

Frank said:
    Mezcal Margarita:

Del Maguey Crema De Mezcal contains 90% Mezcal and 10% unfermented agave syrup as sweetener. 100% pure organic agave, nothing else added, 40% alcohol.

I fill a pitcher with ice, add a third of a bottle of Crema De Mezcal, juice from 4 limes (depending on the limes you might need more, sometimes 3 will suffice, key limes are best and because they're small and sweet you can use a lot of them) and 1 orange... so good! Normally, you shouldn't use a salted rim for a premium Margarita but in this case it compliments the smokyness of the Mezcal.

Tequila Margarita (I poasted slightly different recipies before, this is the latest and improved version):

Cazadores Silver is my favorite Margarita Tequila and a great value for the price. I don't use Triple Sec or any type of sour mix. Triple Sec, Cointerau or Grand Marnier are nothing but cheap brandy with sugar and citrus aroma, who would want to ruin perfectly good tequila with this shit? Instead, I make my own citrus syrup by simmering a whole, thinly sliced orange and a lemon (don't use lime for this -unless you managed to find key limes, the peel from some larger limes can turn the whole thing bitter) in pure cane sugar (about 6 table spoons for half a bottle of tequila) with two shotglasses of water for maybe 20 minutes. Only use organic fruit for this! Cool down the pot in a sink full of ice water. Fill a large pitcher with ice. Pour the amount of tequila you want to use into a smaller pitcher and add some of the syrup (after removing the slices of citrus) and fresh lime juice (about 6 large ones or 12 key limes for half a bottle of tequila). Now it's all about tasting and finding the right ballance of strength, sweet and sour. The quantities mentioned are pure guesses, the acidity of limes and the amount of juice you get from one fruit always varies. Once you're there, pour it over the ice into the large pitcher add some thin slices of lime (never use the ends they can be extremely bitter) and find a place in the shade.

It might be the most un-hip drink ever but I have to admitt that I'm a big fan of a nice Mint Julep. Last time I used Jim Beam Rye and shit was dangerously delicious.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Rhum Barbancourt is so damn good.

Just got a bottle of Brugal, can't wait to open up that sucker.

My drink of choice is just good clear rum + good tonic, toss in a lime. Glad to see someone else on here rocking the R&T, even bartenders give me weird looks all the time b/c they say nobody ever orders that.

Pimm's Cups also. bottles of Pimms are surprisingly cheap at my grocery store ($16 for a 1/5!). i make them with tonic usually instead of lemonade--or preferably a mix of both. garnish with cucumber when i'm not too lazy too buy them. at places like whole foods you can get cucumber soda, those make the best Pimms Cups.

have also been making cocktails with Sake. my favorite is mixing it with Aloe juice and a splash of tonic.

Jim beam rye is a massively underrated whiskey....very cheap and way better than most overpriced small batch hoity toity whiskeys.

I found it kind of thin when I tried it. I like Rittenhouse Rye, it is 100 proof and holds up really well on ice.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    chrisflyer said:
    I'm all about dark & stormys, but i'm having a hell of a time finding a ginger beer I like. gonna have to cop loose bottles of a regional brew from a pizza spot that gets them in bulk, since they don't sell them in grocery stores.

I've posted my love for these in the past. Right now I'm using GUS (Grown Up Soda) ginger ale instead of ginger beer. Maybe my tastes have changed, but Reed's is way too sweet for me these days.

I also like a generous squeeze of lime, and getting a quality lime makes a big difference.

I've invented my own twist on these by adding some organic coconut milk - I call it a Snow Storm. Mix dark rum of your choice, lime, coconut milk and ice and shake well then add a splash of ginger ale. A little grated nutmeg can be added to put it over the top (but then you're getting into Painkiller territory).

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    at Tales of the Cocktail last weekend (real cocktail heads know the deal) I had a damn good high-class pina colada -- 10 Cane rum, coconut water, coconut milk, and fresh pineapple juice

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    NEGRONI/BIG>

• Nobody can hang with this dude

• Sazerac for anyone who's interested......

• meistromoco said:
    Made a habenero tequila grapefruit margarita last week and it was damn good.

drop half a habenero in a bottle of 100% agave (liquor store recommended a really great bottle -- can't remember the name but it was damn good for the price (19.99). Let infuse for 24 hours or so.

Mix with fresh grapefruit juice over ice and a salted rim. You prob won't want more than 1, but it's a tasty drink.

Here's that tequila -- best under $20 I've tried

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    meistromoco said:
    meistromoco said:
    Made a habenero tequila grapefruit margarita last week and it was damn good.

Here's that tequila -- best under $20 I've tried

Im gettin sick of vodka and friends every night.

I copped some Blanco and Grand Marnier last night. Gonna whip up some Margaritas for the game tonight.
    Ive done the habanero thang before but i just muddled a fresh pepper in the shaker.
    Gonna swap between Grapefruit(like above), I have a Blood Orange, and Limes.

Half rim of salt.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    some of my warm weather favorites

Chilton (Local thing that I picked up)
    Squeeze one lemon over ice
    equal parts club soda and vodka
    serve in a salt-rimmed glass

Texas Mule
    Infuse some vodka with jalapenos (a week or so)
    Squeeze one lime over ice
    equal parts ginger beer and jalapeno vodka

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Caipirinhas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caipirinha

Keep 'em coming.

Used to be a Tequila fan until Duder dropped a mortal blow on my liver.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Caipirinhas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caipirinha

Keep 'em coming.

Used to be a Tequila fan until Duder dropped a mortal blow on my liver.

by far the most dangerous summer drink