When the fusk is the new THE WEEKND mixtape gonna drop

2»

Comments

• the single in toronto is "high for this" off of HOB. i've heard it on our horrible "urban station" a handful of times.... usually after 11pm.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    bassie said:
    The interpretative/unofficial videos are just terrible.
    The b&w one for What You Need which has the EP cover's image in it is not even 'official' supposedly.
    The Morning is my favourite track of HOB and I started watching a video someone did and had to stop. Embarassingly bad.

I enjoyed a couple of 'em, but it trips me out how many people make unofficial videos for his songs. The quality on the majority is pretty decent too. I know it's much easier to put together a good-looking video these days, but I don't remember seeing this many for other artists.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ^^hipsteR&B factour

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Hipsters have nice cameras!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Junior said:
    changing producers

this one sounds real flat to me - maybe this is one reason why?
    real boring and not at all what I would say is a logical follow-up to House of Balloons.
    The Birds 1 is about all I can stand.

ketan said:
    Body Work/F*ck My Brains Out

the funniest shit I've heard in a long time - I am not exaggerating, I laughed out loud!
    it's a joke, right???

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    bassie said:
    ketan said:

the funniest shit I've heard in a long time - I am not exaggerating, I laughed out loud!
    it's a joke, right???

No, that's really the name of the latest The-Dream epic. While ridiculous on its face (I shook my head when I saw it), I have high expectations that it will be tight.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    bassie said:
    Junior said:
    changing producers

this one sounds real flat to me - maybe this is one reason why?
    real boring and not at all what I would say is a logical follow-up to House of Balloons.
    The Birds 1 is about all I can stand.

Yeah I don't think I have the heart to go into a google searchathon on it this morning so hoping someone else can confirm. It certainly sounds that way to me and the lack of any sort of depth to the sound compared to the first EP is really leaving me with very little to interact with beyond some half hearted song compositions, tinny sounds, and a whiny voice.

Junior said:
    lack of any sort of depth to the sound compared to the first EP is really leaving me with very little to interact with beyond some half hearted song compositions, tinny sounds

Yup, exactly.

ketan said:
    bassie said:
    ketan said:

it's a joke, right???

No, that's really the name of the latest The-Dream epic. While ridiculous on its face (I shook my head when I saw it), I have high expectations that it will be tight.

Oh you haven't heard it?!
    Mmmmm, tight is not really the word I would use.

reminds me of when a guy tries real hard to be sexyromantic and you have to do your very best not to laugh because his heart is in the right place but he's too caught up in his act rather than the lady's feelings b/w when you hear Prince but miss the point

double

ketan said:
    thanks, i should've just listened to it online before...

bodywork is really good - top flite.

the second half is a bit laughable. "when you hear Prince but miss the point" - yes!

then again, he is jocking Jodeci on the new album title. so maybe the point he's missing is: Devante Swing.

re: The Weeknd, I didn't love the first batch of stuff I heard on here. BUT, some of the instrumentals themselves are pretty tight. glass table girls!

just listened to the new one - lonely star, gone and a few others are nice! not really into heaven or las vegas. the only nu-dub i can handle is rhythm & sound, thanks. (EDIT: and kode9/space ape.)

definitely want to hear his stuff on a big system at some point.

ketan said:
    the only nu-dub i can handle is rhythm & sound, thanks.

Yes.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    bassie said:
    reminds me of when a guy tries real hard to be sexyromantic and you have to do your very best not to laugh because his heart is in the right place but he's too caught up in his act rather than the lady's feelings b/w when you hear Prince but miss the point
    That's pretty sharp (the analysis, of course, not the music--The-Dream has plateaued sonically, still writes like a cockstrong fifteen-year-old flipping through channels, and remains sexually unconvincing; better than WEEKND, for sure, but still embarassing)--did you write that, bassie, or is it something from the other end of that link?

Whatever the case, good shit, and very on-point.

• Wow. I am definately not feeling Thursday at all. House of Balloons is soo dope and I just cannot get into this one at all. I needle dropped it first and was like this is garbage. Then I gave the thing 3 solid run throughs and couldn't believe I wasted my time on that.

Like I said I ride hard for the first one. This second one sounds like throw away tracks from the sessions for the first joint.

Oh well. Sad, I was hoping this would be really nice based on the first one. Hopefully the next one will be better.

james said:
    bassie said:
    That's pretty sharp (the analysis, of course, not the music--The-Dream has plateaued sonically, still writes like a cockstrong fifteen-year-old flipping through channels, and remains sexually unconvincing; better than WEEKND, for sure, but still embarassing)--did you write that, bassie, or is it something from the other end of that link?

Whatever the case, good shit, and very on-point.

I wrote it. And that compliment from you made my week. Thank You.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah... I'm not writing this one off as garbage like some of you, but there is a bit of a 'left overs from HOB' feel to the material. 'Life Of The Party' is still as strong as any of the HOB material to my ears, but beyond that, I can't see this one staying on rotation for nearly as long as the first one.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Junior said:

Sure I read something about him changing producers so perhaps that's the difference or maybe tracks like Happy House convinced me to overlook the shortcomings. Either way I'll give it another go.

I thought Thursday was entirely produced by Doc McKinney and Illangelo, just like the first one?

I also liked the first mixtape better btw, but this might grow on me, I wasn't feeling every track on HOB at first either, but now I like the entire mixtape.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    1000fm said:
    Junior said:

Sure I read something about him changing producers so perhaps that's the difference or maybe tracks like Happy House convinced me to overlook the shortcomings. Either way I'll give it another go.

I thought Thursday was entirely produced by Doc McKinney and Illangelo, just like the first one?

I also liked the first mixtape better btw, but this might grow on me, I wasn't feeling every track on HOB at first either, but now I like the entire mixtape.

Hmm, looked into this and it seems you're right. Not sure where I saw it had changed but reasonably confident it didn't just play out inside my head. Considering the production team are the same and it seems unlikely they would have deliberately fucked with a winning formula then I guess it's just the song compositions themselves that don't work for me this time round.

Tied to listen through it again and honestly found it a trial to do so. I guess what partly sold me on HOB was the overall feel of it along with the potential for something different in songs like HOB-Glass Table Girls. This time round it feels like they've stripped all the depth out of the sound and I'm left with something that sounds like half finished song ideas that have had the kitchen sink thrown at them (do we really need screechy badly dubbed guitar riffs and tinny claps on what seems like half the songs?) in an effort to hide the lack of memorable composition at the base of it. IMHO.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    The songwriting on HOB was definitely better. I've only listened to Thursday once and didn't hear anything that stuck with me like The Morning or Glass Table Girls did. Will give it a few more listens though.

• oct 24th

vintageinfants said:
    oct 24th

What? Is this when the next one is dropping?

• Kinetic said:
    vintageinfants said:
    oct 24th

What? Is this when the next one is dropping?

yeah. apparently three were made or were to be made. October 24th is the tentative release date ofthe third.

Yeah, I knew he was dropping a third one, but I had no idea it was planned to be released so soon after Thursday.

Also, I have to say Thursday as a whole package has grown on me somewhat. I doubt anyone is gonna ever suggest that it trumps HOB, but I still like it.