why is the-breaks so wack?

2»

Comments

• Krautbeats, didn't you also start out small when getting into collecting and didn't someone help you and give you knowledge?

In my case I got all those crazy SABA/MPS/BASF stuff unplayed for cheap several times and didn??t know how crazy people went over that stuff during that time!

Or records like EMPHASIS out of Switzerland (rainbow orchestra on COLORIT or something that way) I got doubles

and tons of private pressings all going out for real cheap and in most cases unplayed!

Instead of that I got "the knowledge" of average-hard-to-catch US albums like Ohio Players on Westbound and so on.

I don??t know if you can call this the "real deal"!

Nowadays I am far too expensive in many cases because of those reasons,
    it??s sad but that??s how I learned about it!

But to some extend I think you are right, giving knowledge to someone who doesn't appreciate it just not worth it.

It??s still give and get of course but there millions of people on this earth to deal with so I am sceptical in first place (language check)

Sind hier eigentlich viele aus Deutschland vertreten?

Ich glaube eine Menge "lurker", der aktivste Deutsche ist ja sicher der Grope,
    der mich auf das Board hier gebracht hat :-)

Salut
    Seb

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    it's mostly the age factor...but proportionally, there's as much assholes over there than over here. Talkers will remain talkers, no matter where it's posted.

• Just sayin'... I live in a large city (600,000 inhabitants). I left a ??? 7 Pazant Brothers Loose & Juicy copy at a well known inner-city store for about two years. Not hidden. Right in a Soul & Funk box.
    I had a copy for myself, so I left it just to check if there were any other diggers around. I finally bought the record myself! I talked to some Funk & Soul DJs that call themselves vinyl enthusiasts. They had been at the store I'm talking about and they were going through the box with the Loose & Juicy copy. They are DJing for great clubs, but only play comps. Dudes don't even know Kool & The Gang has some good records! They are acting like big dudes. Their comment to Romano Mussolini: hey, I like Cafe Del Mar!

Noone around my old hometown has much to share when it comes to records. Only the old guys that I cherish a lot!
    Don't tell me you're sorry for that mate! Maybe it's hard not to share your passion with homeboys... but do you know what it's like to wake up at 4 in the morning to go at flea markets for 5, and then you have to fight with 20 diggers (who are looking for exactly the same records than you) just to reach a crate full of crappy records cause 20 other diggers came before you and clean the place one year ago..
    It's sad to go digging alone.. but it's hard to dig with 20 guys too!

Please invite me to your place, I would please to go and dig with you

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Don't tell me you're sorry for that mate! Maybe it's hard not to share your passion with homeboys... but do you know what it's like to wake up at 4 in the morning to go at flea markets for 5, and then you have to fight with 20 diggers (who are looking for exactly the same records than you) just to reach a crate full of crappy records cause 20 other diggers came before you and clean the place one year ago..
    It's sad to go digging alone.. but it's hard to dig with 20 guys too!

Please invite me to your place, I would please to go and dig with you

You're invited!!! But don't expect to find anything good at flea markets. My local flea market is about 20 meters away from one of the best record stores in Southern Germany. My last good flea market find was in 2000, maybe even 1999 At least you got good flea markets at your place. It's all about record stores over here. Mostly checking out small towns!

It's just that there's a huge lack of digging communities in German cities. It would be cool to meet other people and talk about old music. People get excited about old music and love the image of record collectors and Jazz and Funk musicians, but noone is really interested in digging itself. Plus, it oftens appears to me that German people would never expect that there was German music worth digging for... They rather buy US Funk compilations and wear cool t-shirts with funky logos. They like to wear afros and oldschool sunglasses... carry record bags... be DJs... (you wouldn't believe how many DJs over here claim they play Funk, Latin, Boogaloo, Rare Groove and Breakbeats, but really, they don't know sh*t. Even the hip hop people over here don't know much about records.)

Like I said, you're most welcome! I'm near Frankfurt AND near Stuttgart!

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Fuck Germany, come to Norway! Found a Rimshots "Harvey Wallbanger" 45 at the Salvation Army for the equivalent of 0.25$ the other day, and these things happen ALL THE TIME!

- J

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    some of the thread titles are pretty

- Whats your digging technique?

Well, first I like to have something to eat. Something light, because by the time I???m done, I like to be ready for a big meal. You know, there??? s nothing like record-shopping and then having really good Indian/Thai/West Indian food. I have to have had a coffee, because if it???s going to cut-throat, I have to be sharp.

I case the joint as soon as I walk in. Look for potential competition, sections, new arrivals, listening station, possible sharp corners that my jacket might get snagged on.

Who???s working the counter? Pretentious, young whipper-snapper, wants to be the next Shadow type? Bitter, crusty, partied with the Dead, hates all customers type? Will talk your ear off, psych rock/girl-group-loving, stoner type? Make eye contact, smile, but do not engage them right away ??? there???s work to be done. Maybe ask if I can put my bags behind the counter if the policy is not already there.

Get list out and refer to it now and then. Do not put it out where everyone can see it or so that it gets in the way of others.

Now dig. Ask questions as they arise.

If there???s a lot of people waiting to listen and I have like 10 or more things I want to listen to, I???ll do it in threes and fours. It sucks waiting for a long time for the turntable.

Divide into love it, not sure and put back. See how much the love its come to, decide on the not sures (maybe re-listen) and then put back the put backs.

*VERY IMPORTANT: Do not touch face or rub eyes whil digging. It's so dirty.

Small talk while paying. Possibly more if have a relationship with him/her. Don???t forget stuff from behind the counter.

Decide what I feel like eating. And never ever forget to wash hands once at the restaurant.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Well, first I like to have something to eat. Something light, because by the time I???m done, I like to be ready for a big meal. You know, there??? s nothing like record-shopping and then having really good Indian/Thai/West Indian food. I have to have had a coffee, because if it???s going to cut-throat, I have to be sharp.

I case the joint as soon as I walk in. Look for potential competition, sections, new arrivals, listening station, possible sharp corners that my jacket might get snagged on.

Who???s working the counter? Pretentious, young whipper-snapper, wants to be the next Shadow type? Bitter, crusty, partied with the Dead, hates all customers type? Will talk your ear off, psych rock/girl-group-loving, stoner type? Make eye contact, smile, but do not engage them right away ??? there???s work to be done. Maybe ask if I can put my bags behind the counter if the policy is not already there.

Get list out and refer to it now and then. Do not put it out where everyone can see it or so that it gets in the way of others.

If there???s a lot of people waiting to listen and I have like 10 or more things I want to listen to, I???ll do it in threes and fours. It sucks waiting for a long time for the turntable.

Divide into love it, not sure and put back. See how much the love its come to, decide on the not sures (maybe re-listen) and then put back the put backs.

Small talk while paying. Possibly more if have a relationship with him/her. Don???t forget stuff from behind the counter.

Decide what I feel like eating. And never ever forget to wash hands once at the restaurant.

to be put up on my refrigerator

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Second greatest thing I have ever read on Soulstrut!

• am i missing something or is is really that weak?

i don't think you're missing a thing, you're spot on. my take on the-breaks site is that it's very nature goes against the notion of creativity and originality in making music.

imagine a website about paintings where the focus was on the brand of paint that was used. it might be interesting for reference but anyone caught up in it is missing the point.