do any of you guys sell your music on ITUNES?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
i'm really trying to get my head around how digital music sales works. any ideas or suggestions would be great.

peace, stein. . .:)

Comments

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Yes.
    Tunecore.

That simple.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    thanks! will look into that.

peace, stein. . .:)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    look into Alphapup as well.

I owe you a call

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Thes is right. Tunecore is all you need to know. It actually used to be better in terms of pricing, but it's still decent. $50 a year and they don't take a cut at all. I've made a fair amount of money and it's totally passive, I do nothing and I'm not famous.

• TLinTLin 18 Posts
    yes, x3 regarding TuneCore.

I have been using it for a number of years now and find it quite easy and decently priced. They don't take any of your earnings (like CD Baby, and some others) but you DO pay a $20 annual fee to keep your music online. You don't have to have physical copies created, you can simply just do digital. They also don't charge for a UPC code or ISRC codes. So essentially as long as you make at leased $20 a year on your music/album, you're making money.... you can also tailor it in terms of iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc...just put it on iTunes, do it all, etc. which is a good option.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Tunecore recently raised their annual renewal from $20 to $50 per album as quietly as possible -- no announcement -- you found out when (if) you read your next renewal invoice. They have pulled lots of disingenuous, ebay-like moves in the time I've been using them. For instance, you can't cancel autorenew on an album yourself -- you actually have to request it by email, and then a second time when they try to talk / scare you out of it. Shady by any definition. A lot of people are unhappy but similar to ebay, it's kind of the only game in town if you're selling at a certain level -- in this case $500 or so annually on an album or more. For albums liable to sell less than that, it makes more sense to go with CD baby, which takes a rather small cut and no annual fee if I recall correctly. Yes, CD baby has an unfortunate name and image, but they seem to have a good customer service reputation, and all of these companies are really just different ways to get your stuff onto itunes. You can chop it up, it's all the same to the consumers. As my label's slow stuff runs out the clock on tunecore I'll be migrating it away, which is a pain in the ass but worth it to cut down on my dealings with scumbags.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Is there a way to modify an iTunes store listing?

My situation is this: Some of my music is on iTunes, but it's credited to somebody else (I'm pretty sure I understand why it happened...honest mistake, nobody trying to be shady). So how do I put it in my name, and more importantly, how do I make sure I get paid for it?

Also, some of my other stuff is on iTunes with me properly credited, but I've never gotten any money from iTunes...maybe the label is intercepting it all?