Status Of Your Local Record Convention/Show

2»

Comments

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
    tuneup said:
    I truly believe that the overall dissatisfaction with ebay by both sellers and buyers is resulting in better sales at record shows again, and that the numbers are on the rise. I can again sell mid level records for close to a reasonable global price. This has not been the case for the last 7 years or so. High priced items are still best sold on ebay, but this is not much different than saving your records for the major shows and not for smaller local shows. I now save killer records for WFMU, and am doing more so all the time. The show that I promote here in Toronto in very successful with a great turn out, and they very much come to buy. No tire kicking, or at least very little. Shows are back. Just bring good stuff and decent prices. This does not mean cheap, just fair.

Honestly it had never even occurred to me to give selling at shows a go until reading this thread. I have a collection that's growing a bit out of control mostly due to the fact that I've never really found a way of getting rid of the stuff i don't bother with listening to that I've been happy with. I'm starting to think now that getting a table at a show might be a good way of thinning things out without having to let go of things in the $10-$20 dollar range for a buck or two to stores, or dealing with the hassle of ebay for stuff that isn't exactly hard to find. I get the impression that taking stuff like Pink Floyd, Jackson 5 records and the like to a show and pricing them all at $4-5 or something would be a good way to get stuff out to people for cheaper than they would pay at a store and without much hassle for me, and it seems like it might even be some fun and an interesting way to meet up with some other vinyl junkies in the Toronto area. Does this sound about right or am I way off track in the way I'm interpreting this?

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    soundsreal said:
    tuneup said:
    I truly believe that the overall dissatisfaction with ebay by both sellers and buyers is resulting in better sales at record shows again, and that the numbers are on the rise. I can again sell mid level records for close to a reasonable global price. This has not been the case for the last 7 years or so. High priced items are still best sold on ebay, but this is not much different than saving your records for the major shows and not for smaller local shows. I now save killer records for WFMU, and am doing more so all the time. The show that I promote here in Toronto in very successful with a great turn out, and they very much come to buy. No tire kicking, or at least very little. Shows are back. Just bring good stuff and decent prices. This does not mean cheap, just fair.

Honestly it had never even occurred to me to give selling at shows a go until reading this thread. I have a collection that's growing a bit out of control mostly due to the fact that I've never really found a way of getting rid of the stuff i don't bother with listening to that I've been happy with. I'm starting to think now that getting a table at a show might be a good way of thinning things out without having to let go of things in the $10-$20 dollar range for a buck or two to stores, or dealing with the hassle of ebay for stuff that isn't exactly hard to find. I get the impression that taking stuff like Pink Floyd, Jackson 5 records and the like to a show and pricing them all at $4-5 or something would be a good way to get stuff out to people for cheaper than they would pay at a store and without much hassle for me, and it seems like it might even be some fun and an interesting way to meet up with some other vinyl junkies in the Toronto area. Does this sound about right or am I way off track in the way I'm interpreting this?

totally on track in my opinion. if you want to do a record show, just drop me a line and I can try to help.