Funkiest white man ever?

2»

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Two contenders. Steve Gadd:

Black Pus:

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Greg Errico. Go to the 2:00 mark of the video and check the man laying down a slamming breakbeat wearing a fringed cheetah print jumpsuit in Harlem. It's impossible to be funkier.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    OXYMORON

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    :racist:

I most likely sound white!

asstro said:
    Greg Errico.

Sly and The Family Stone
    Betty Davis - Production and Drums
    Graham Central Station

I think most of the breaks yo taken from these artist are done by Greg Errico.

• DaptunesDaptunes 55 Posts
    Surely must be Michael Jackson

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    batmon said:
    asstro said:
    Greg Errico.

Sly and The Family Stone
    Graham Central Station

I don't recall Errico playing on the GCS albums. I do remember Willie "Wild" Sparks playing on the ones with the braeks. I could be wrong....

stratasphere said:
    batmon said:
    asstro said:
    Greg Errico.

Sly and The Family Stone
    Graham Central Station

I don't recall Errico playing on the GCS albums. I do remember Willie "Wild" Sparks playing on the ones with the braeks. I could be wrong....

Ooops...my bad.

• andy newmark was a better drummer than gregg errico

crabmongerfunk said:
    andy newmark was a better drummer than gregg errico

Better and funkier are two different thangs.

Wasnt the drum machine way more prevalent by his era w/ Sly?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Newmark knew there was more to being funky than just knocking f*ck out of the snare.

Don't get me wrong, there's a time and place for f*ck-knockery, but I am speaking of Les Nuances Ill.

• cosine what jimster said.

in terms of drum machines, i think that "there's a riot" has a few tracks that have that going on (family affair, etc) but i think most of those are also mixed with live drums/percussion....

imho, newmark took sly into a waay more sophisticated and funky thing on "fresh" and "small talk" before the latter started to really burn out.no disrespect to errico but he never played anything as funky and complex as this:

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    maybe not the funkiest. But these deserve a mention.

Nick Straker!

Pino D'angio

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    my friends dad. BARRY RICHARDS is the funkiest white man i've ever met. he's been a dj/music hustler his whole life.

sorry embedding was disabled.

peace, stein. . .:)

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    We'll have to agree to disagree on Errico vs Newmark. I personally like drummers who beat the shits into the floor. I appreciate finesse but give me the Errico/Bonham/Ward style bashers any day.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    asstro said:
    We'll have to agree to disagree on Errico vs Newmark. I personally like drummers who beat the shits into the floor. I appreciate finesse but give me the Errico/Bonham/Ward style bashers any day.

you sound not-funky.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Mick Jagger. I just watched the TAMI show and dude followed James Brown and tore the place down.

With all due respect, you're probably one of the few people who think following JB with the Stones was a wise decision. I love the Rolling Stones, too, but...

The TAMI show?
    James Brown had just put on the most amazing show leaving the audience exhausted and confused, and then the Stones, who had yet to write any of their best songs yet, came out and did an electrifying set.

Are you seriously suggesting that Roy Head or Dennis Coffey could have come out and done a better job?*

* I know you are not.

Wolf, when the Stones filmed their scene, they had to wait a half-hour or so for the whole auditorium could cool down. JB was at the height of his powers that day, and no act - black, white, whatever - could follow that. That was one of the Stones' finest performances, but it terms of energy buildup, they really should have let JB close the show.

(Sorry for the late reply - I somehow forgot to check back on the progress of this thread...)

willie_fugal said:
    asstro said:

you sound not-funky.

certain Funk works well with a hard steady thump. Other types need a subtler touch.

buddy Miles pouning type shit fits fine with that era. Compare Miles to Mitch Mitchell when Jimi got funky and ill take the hard shit.

I couldnt see Errico doin what Mike Clark is doin in a fusion setting.

willie_fugal said:
    asstro said:

you sound not-funky.

certain Funk works well with a hard steady thump. Other types need a subtler touch.

buddy Miles pouning type shit fits fine with that era. Compare Miles to Mitch Mitchell when Jimi got funky and ill take the hard shit.

I couldnt see Errico doin what Mike Clark is doin in a fusion setting.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What, no love for Riff Raff?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    WTF, NO DAVID MATTHEWS??????????????????

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts
    Beatsoup said:

Bob Babbit

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Mick Jagger. I just watched the TAMI show and dude followed James Brown and tore the place down.

With all due respect, you're probably one of the few people who think following JB with the Stones was a wise decision. I love the Rolling Stones, too, but...

The TAMI show?
    James Brown had just put on the most amazing show leaving the audience exhausted and confused, and then the Stones, who had yet to write any of their best songs yet, came out and did an electrifying set.

Are you seriously suggesting that Roy Head or Dennis Coffey could have come out and done a better job?*

* I know you are not.

Wolf, when the Stones filmed their scene, they had to wait a half-hour or so for the whole auditorium could cool down. JB was at the height of his powers that day, and no act - black, white, whatever - could follow that. That was one of the Stones' finest performances, but it terms of energy buildup, they really should have let JB close the show.

(Sorry for the late reply - I somehow forgot to check back on the progress of this thread...)

Well, yeah, I agree, JB should have closed the show.
    But he didn't.
    I can't think of any one who could have followed that better than Jagger did. Thus he gets my vote for funkiest white man ever.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Come on lets get to the roots-two words-JOHNNY OTIS

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    youngEINSTEIN said:
    my friends dad. BARRY RICHARDS is the funkiest white man i've ever met. he's been a dj/music hustler his whole life.

sorry embedding was disabled.

peace, stein. . .:)

Dude, this guy is rad. I had never heard of him before, despite growing up in the DC area. Really enjoyed these clips. The Groove-In clips are amazing!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    :hi:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    wait ... really? 3rd page of this thread and NO Skip Easterling??

:dominoes: