volumes related

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
Quick DJing question:

I'm way more a record geek than tech and gear geek, so whats the best way to have your volumes configured when you're spinning? Like, generally you have two channel volumes, a main mixer volume, and then a PA/house master volume. As far as sound quality/fidelity goes, should the channel volumes be set lower so that the the main or master volumes are set higher? Or is it the other way around? Or does it not really matter at all?

Comments

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    button said:
    Quick DJing question:

I'm way more a record geek than tech and gear geek, so whats the best way to have your volumes configured when you're spinning? Like, generally you have two channel volumes, a main mixer volume, and then a PA/house master volume. As far as sound quality/fidelity goes, should the channel volumes be set lower so that the the main or master volumes are set higher? Or is it the other way around? Or does it not really matter at all?

I'm no tech or gear geek either, but my approach, always, is:

Don't fuck with the venue's PA, just tweak your mixer. The PA is supposed to be set properly according to the venues specs., so you just have to tweak the mixer's levels depending on each record's levels.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I dunno, I DJ at pretty scrappy places usually. I don't think anything is tweaked to venue specifics where I go.