School me on Meireles

DanteDante 371 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
I recently found this:

Mexican issue from 1974. I'm liking it, but can't seem to find too much info about it.

Who was this guy? Does he have more stuff like this? I only found one copy on popsike for $100, seems too much for something I found diggin' here; going rate? Etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    $100 for that record is way too much, that auction was years ago and probably rode the coat tails of his record w/Copa 7.

It was pressed in a number of countries and is more like a $30 record.

His name is usually spelled with two 'L's, you'll find more about him that way.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Horseleech said:

His name is usually spelled with two 'L's, you'll find more about him that way.

Cool, thanks.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i did not know he did other stuff than copa 7
    thanks for the info
    is this one also latin jazz?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    pcmr said:

Also Copa 5

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    pcmr said:
    thanks for the info
    is this one also latin jazz?

Well, I guess you could say that. Brasilian stuff, mainly.

It opens with a heavy moog version of Also Sprach Zaratustra (2001 theme) over a brasilian beat:

Then, more jazzy/funky and some samba-ish stuff, which I think is the best in the album.

• Don't confuse Meirelles' Copa 5/Copa 7 with the baile conjunto Copa 7 on Top Tape...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I found multiples of that album when I was in Chile so I guess it can't be that rare. Cool album though. I like "Regla Tres", "Kriola" and "Cosa Nostra" best.

He made two volumes of the "Brazilian Beat" series for EMI Odeon. (Vol. 2 and 4)

I bought No.4 for cheap in spain and besides a decent version of "Pais Tropical" it's nothing special on there. Too much easy listening for my taste.

Not sure if he's the same Meireiles who also appears on this album:

But there's a killer batucada named "O Orvalho Vem Caindo" on there.