Gloria Walker & The Chevelles - You Hit the Spot Baby

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
On Flaming Arrow...is this a particularly tinny pressing? Can't tell if it's the recording or the record with this one. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm close to buying one and can't tell if the dough is fair or not given the pressing. It's clean, but hot/treble-y.

• It sounds god awful. Better off getting the cover version by that Otis Funkmeyer Band. Cheaper, too!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    lol - shameless self promotion.
    all joking aside, the Otis Funkmeyer version is really good.
    and the original Gloria Walker is trebley as hell.

Thank You!

Orly? And where does one cross paths with the OF 45?

• bassie said:
    Thank You!

Orly? And where does one cross paths with the OF 45?

Aside from Ebay and Big City Records in NY, I may be the only source left. I still have a handful (only 500 pressed). Check your PMs!

Here is our version:

and here is a live version of us doing "what do you see in her" into the A-side (original), "why are you refusing my love":

No YouTubes at work and I can't get into my Inbox - what's the hell?
    I'll respond as soon as I get in.
    Thank You SoulStrut!!

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Really you guys? I think this record completely slams. The trebles are clean and not shrill by any means, and the low end is monstrous esp. on a good system. I mean, there's a reason that its one of the most spun and danced to 45s in the funk world ever. 100% club ready to these ears, and I think the -literally- thousands of different people I've seen dance their asses off to it would agree. But, maybe my eardrums are just shredded from enjoying too many loud funk and soul nights over the years. who knows.

• No, not really.

The guitar and horns are trebley, but not the record overall.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    button said:
    Really you guys? I think this record completely slams. The trebles are clean and not shrill by any means, and the low end is monstrous esp. on a good system. I mean, there's a reason that its one of the most spun and danced to 45s in the funk world ever. 100% club ready to these ears, and I think the -literally- thousands of different people I've seen dance their asses off to it would agree. But, maybe my eardrums are just shredded from enjoying too many loud funk and soul nights over the years. who knows.

I'd cosign on this.
    I've played this record out uncountable times and it never occured to me that there would be any sort of a problem with it and I'm usually very picky when it comes to playing out stuff that somehow doesn't sound right. Otis' cover version is fantastic by the way.

It is a solid solid 45; the B side is really why I'm getting it.

bassie said:
    the B side is really why I'm getting it.

super tearjerker :cry:

by the way, your femme soul mix from a while back gets heavy heavy play round here. it is one of my favourite mixes off the Board - never did say Thank You, so, Thank You!

Oh thanks!! I remember that thing chirping its way to the bottom of the board pretty fast. Glad you caught it in time. haha