House fire (aka insure your shit!)

bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
This happened almost a month ago, but I've been pretty butt hurt about the whole deal so have resisted writing an angry rant about it. I'm currently homeless - not the "sleeping on the street" kind (obviously) but the "I can only afford to crash with my friends" kind. I sleep on a couch, my clothes are in a spare shelf in my friends bed room. This post isn't about crying about my situtation - I've finally got a beter job that means I can move out into a better living arrangement. But since I've had no space I've had things stored in various places.

My records are in the smallest storage unit you can get, and it's crammed full. I have some things with me here, and the rest was all in a friends large shed. This included all my musical equipment, bar my rhodes which is loaned out and one crappy stanton turntable which my gracious landlord has hooked up.

The aforementioned shed butted up against the back fence which backed onto a little alleyway. Apparently, a little alleyway where people would smoke, according to the firemen who put out the fire. The whole shed is completely gone. By tthe time the firemen arrived half the house had gone up too, thankfully with no-one in it. Her cat was pretty badly burnt, but he's come through and is healing up ok.

Of course, neither of us had insurance.

Lost to the fire:

- 2 x technics 1200
- pioneer djm 2000 mixer (ha... what a beast)
- MPC 2000xl with card reader
- roland fantom XR
- microkorg
- electrix warp factory vocoder
- fairlight voicetracker pitch to midi converter
- all of my clothes except the suitcase I have with me.

There are various things I keep remembering over the last month that must have been in there too. It's pretty heartbreaking to lose all my gear, some of which I doubt i'll be able to replace. I'm not a talented musician, but i've been slowly working on various things for the last 5 years or so and finally felt like it was getting somewhere.

Anyway, why must I cry? INSURE YO SHIT!

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Damn. Sorry to hear that. I hope you are doing well. My apartment building here in the states requires proof of renters insurance as soon as you move in.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    sorry to hear that man
    glad no one was harmed, good luck with the rebuilding

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sorry.

I hope new beginnings lead to better things.

Dan