Rare Earth - Dreams/Answers

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
Am I alone in thinking this record is worthy of way more respect than it gets?

Is there any kind of reissue of it even out there, either legal or illegal?

There's not even vids up of tracks like "Land of Nod" and "Sidewalk Cafe" ... ?!

"Sidewalk Cafe" has the awesome fuzz cop of the "Get Ready" riff and hard drums, so good.

I think I bought mine for like $14 on eBay 6 years ago, because nobody cared.

Lyrically a little too flower power maybe, but this record shreds. 1968 blue-eyed psych-soul produced in Detroit by Theodore & Coffey? WHERE IS THE LOVE?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    WHY IS THE ONLY CLIP AVAILABLE FROM THIS RECORD FOR THE CORNIEST SONG?? CONSPIRACY!!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Agreed - this record rules and "Sidewalk Caf??" is a banger. "Land of Nod" was originally recorded as a 45 under their previous name The Sunliners with a slightly different mix from the LP I believe:

ah, see, now I've already learned something! awesome. yeah, that mix is different, like they stripped all the bottom end out of it. I think the LP version is better but that still burns. Now I know to look out for that single, too. that tape-loopy stuff is higher in the mix on this version, which is cool.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I ride

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Probably their best and the only one I haven't found in the field yet.

I don't have the set-up right now to rip and post an MP3 of "Sidewalk Cafe," but I did play it on my radio show last week (probably why this LP is on my mind) and if you want to hear that track it comes on at the 28:00 mark of this streaming MP3 - complete with custom Humphrey Bogart intro:

http://wmbr.org/m3u/Lost_and_Found_20110627_1200.m3u

feel free to listen to this rest of the show, too - although I swear this thread was not some elaborate attempt at self-promotion!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    After revisiting, I've decided that this record is SOFT.

Reynaldo said:
    After revisiting, I've decided that this record is SOFT.

It's no DRAKE, I realize that.

• Listening to right now

This record SHREDDS