Paris recommendations (non record related!)

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
Gonna be in Paris for a couple days in the Buttes-Chaumont neighborhood (NW of center)

anyone have recommendations of what to do with a friend?
nice places to walk, interesting markets (getting there on sunday), cheese shops, other cant miss artisanal things...things of beauty and such.

im not trying to overplan or do intensive sightseeing, but i trust the struts real world experiences to the fullness! regardless, the travael threads always make for interesting conversation.

and definitely not interested in seeing any records!!! i heard le-toupts got the city locked down like bonaparte

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    the cemeteries there are kinda amazing. here's serge gainbourg's grave when i was there last

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    here's some pics i took.

you need to go to the Louvre. it really is glorious and huuuuuge

those are people not ants

also, Jardin du Luxembourg was my favorite park

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    for some multicultural steez go to Barbes..

for some unclich?? views visit Clichy-sous-Bois

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    merci soulstrut!
    my agenda was basically eat a lot of croissants and walk by the sienne

now i can flesh that out a little.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Jamal said:
    for some multicultural steez go to Barbes..

for some unclich?? views visit Clichy-sous-Bois

Barbes has got some good african food.

but skip this 2nd recommendation unless you favor ghetto voyeurism. srsly it's a lame suggestion; it would be like telling someone to visit a blighted block of East NY in order to see "the real."

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    the cemeteries there are kinda amazing. here's serge gainbourg's grave when i was there last
    ]

yes. there's hidden monuments all over this city. a little park by the sevres-babylone metro stop has a moving St Exupery memorial.

Somewhere there must be a website or guidebook dedicated to the statues/monuments, and, especially, the cool plaques the municipality puts up on the bldings where famous folks used to stay. you could easily do a whole tour of these.

my place was 2 blocks fro, this magnificent place: Parc des Buttes Chaumont

been a great couple days!

my place was 2 blocks fro, this magnificent place: Parc des Buttes Chaumont

been a great couple days!

• Hey t, I hear the Paris catacombs are a real trip...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    dunno if you eat meat, but steak frittes and escargot at Robert e Louise is a good way to spend some time in Paris...old timey steez.

64, rue Vieille-du-Temple, Marais, 75003 Paris, France

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    dunno if you eat meat, but steak frittes and escargot at Robert e Louise is a good way to spend some time in Paris...old timey steez.

64, rue Vieille-du-Temple, Marais, 75003 Paris, France

Plus the Marais is a beautiful walking neighborhood. Place des Vosges, Musee Picasso, etc.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    DrWu said:

Plus the Marais is a beautiful walking neighborhood. Place des Vosges, Musee Picasso, etc.

Yeah hit le Marais at night and wander around - lots of bars, food, a young crowd out late - and dont forget to hit the diners and jewish delicatessen joints in le marais for good eats -> schwartz' and sacha finkelsztajn.

le marais in the evening

schwartz

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Hey t, I hear the Paris catacombs are a real trip...

Definitely.
    Cemetaries got so overcrowded with dead bodies in the 17th century that the whole area around certain cemetaries became "filled beyond saturation with decomposing human remains", so they moved about 6 million human remains into the old city quarries underneath what used to be the outskirts of the city. But there are catacombs all under Paris - lots of urban spelunking going on.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    ^ the catacombs is def. a must to see. also there??s some nice underground partys going on down there sometimes, but be aware, best to go with some local company.

Montmartre is a nice place too for hanging out. It??s a little above so you have good views over the city. Anyway, i would recommend to rent a bike, they??re everywhere and cheap and you get arround easy and fast.

Also Centre Pompidou is a Must:

if you??re into modern art and a perfect contrast to the more old fashioned Louvre.

For shopping check out the stores arround Colette, many nice small labels in that area. (Avoid if you??re with your better half, may cost you a fortune...)

have a good time!

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Check thy PMs.

yeah i'll be heading back there. maybe regularly if i can swing it.
    all the strutco recomendations look awesome, the ones i didnt get to i will file away for next time
    i definitely ate some snails tho

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    you can visit edith piaf and jim morrison at Cimeti??re du P??re-Lachaise.

peace, stein. . .:)