Ringtones, Sample clearance ??

OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Quick Question, maybe just a thought...I was reading an article this weekend in the NY Times about ringtones and how popular they are among the public. In the article it stated that Beyonce's 'Crazy in Love' has been downloaded (with a fee) over a million times. The ringtone is as we all know the Chi-lites, no lyrics from B, just the sample. My question is this, who gets paid ? do Beyonce and her people with a very small percentage going to the sampled artists? or do they just pay a single usage fee to said artist while they keep bringing in the dough?-B-

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    im sure the Chi-lites arent seeing shit.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Most likely who ever is listed as writer and publisher. If the original writer and publisher received no writing and publishing credits on the Beyonce tune, then chances are they are getting nothing on the ringtone.

I'm no lawyer.

I was amazed in the Monty/BEP thread who unfair and convoluted all this stuff is.

Dan

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    when I saw the Chi-Lites at the State Fair a year and a half ago, they were extremely grateful to Beyonce... they did the song "Crazy" is based on twice, and thanked her both times...

my guess is they probably get a cut of the ringtone fee equal to whatever the sample pays... and they're probably really happy to get boatloads of money that they never would have seen otherwise too

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The Chi Lites aren't listed on the credits so they might have just got paid a flat sample fee and asked for a point or 2. If they were that happy about it at the fair it would seem they are getting something. Unless they were just happy to be sampled and not paid, which you never hear about!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    OK found a better site with more detailed info and Chi Lites are given credit as composers so they are getting paid beyotch!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    OK found a better site with more detailed info and Chi Lites are given credit as composers so they are getting paid beyotch!

RADD