Counts "What's up front that-" OG check!

GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I just got but....The Label looks correct. The first multi-color dist. by Janus. And catalougue numbers is WB 2011 and all that stuff is right.But the cover is not brown cardboard inside. It's more white. Like it's from the end of the 70's!Anyone else with a copy who can let me know how their copy is?

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Does it say "canadian ltd." in the run out wax?

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    yes it does! and WB 2011

• White covers start in the mid 70s, the OG on this has slightly off-white interior, it is very clear if you have a reissue.

When this question comes up about a record, it could easily be solved by a simple feel/smell check 90% of the time.

It's from the 70's! but I have other westbounds from '72 and they have the brown cardboard inside.

This is also a non gatefold with a punchhole.

• It's from the 70's! but I have other westbounds from '72 and they have the brown cardboard inside.

Well, there is no gatefold ever on this release; the punchhole indicates that it's a promo or a cut-out; and there are also westbounds that have white insides (ie, s/t Funkadelic LP & America Eats Its Young).

Alls I'm saying is that the reish is hella obvious. Glossy, new smell, blurry pics, etc. This shouldn't be very hard to tell. In the future, rather than freaking about the brown/white card, just take a sniff test!

It's from the 70's! but I have other westbounds from '72 and they have the brown cardboard inside.

Well, there is no gatefold ever on this release; the punchhole indicates that it's a promo or a cut-out; and there are also westbounds that have white insides (ie, s/t Funkadelic LP & America Eats Its Young).

Alls I'm saying is that the reish is hella obvious. Glossy, new smell, blurry pics, etc. This shouldn't be very hard to tell. In the future, rather than freaking about the brown/white card, just take a sniff test!

Hmmm. my copy of America Eats Its Young has the brown cardboard inside?

I was only wondering it's a mid or late 70's reissue but the catalouge and label is correct.

• It's from the 70's! but I have other westbounds from '72 and they have the brown cardboard inside.

I was only wondering it's a mid or late 70's reissue but the catalouge and label is correct.

Maybe I have to check again on mine but fairly certain it's white card on America. I have a promo with the original poster. There might be different pressings though, different plants used, etc.

I don't think there is a late 70s reish of the Counts.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    How is this LP? I have the other 2 Counts LPs and the Fabulous Counts LP and don't really like any of them. People seem to talk about this one as the best. Truth?

DJ Ferrari

Maybe I have to check again on mine but fairly certain it's white card on America. I have a promo with the original poster. There might be different pressings though, different plants used, etc.

I didn't think so either. By the way, I also have funkadelic S/T with the white cardboard inside, but the one I have is a most definitely a mid 70's reissue with blue label dist. 20th century.

But if anyone out there have this lp please let me know if it has brown cardboard inside? It just seems strange to me that it does not have since the others on the label from that time do.

How is this LP? I have the other 2 Counts LPs and the Fabulous Counts LP and don't really like any of them. People seem to talk about this one as the best. Truth?

DJ Ferrari

Dope! Funk is usually not my number one choice but this one I really dig. Real raw and good sound. Also a bit soulful in places.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

DJ Ferrari

Yes, by far their best LP and the only one you need to own.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=C&page=14

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

DJ Ferrari
    I liked it a lot. I thought it was really solid end-to-end

I didn't think so either. By the way, I also have funkadelic S/T with the white cardboard inside, but the one I have is a most definitely a mid 70's reissue with blue label dist. 20th century.

But if anyone out there have this lp please let me know if it has brown cardboard inside? It just seems strange to me that it does not have since the others on the label from that time do.

Dog, that's what I'm saying - I've had 10 copies of this record in the past five years. They've all had (off) white insides. Maybe my memory is failing but I don't recall ever seeing a brown card cover for this.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    yeah, i had an original with the off-white inside cover too.

and yes, co-sign on motown's comment. great record.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

DJ Ferrari

Dope! Funk is usually not my number one choice but this one I really dig. Real raw and good sound. Also a bit soulful in places.

I was juuuuust listening to this last night, so it's back on the platter now.... I'd call it a combo of a few genres, psych-soul-funk. Love that intro to Thinking Single, and the lyrics to Bills are hitting me like "oof" right now! Fucking bills and parking tickets man...

edit: off white inner - it's not a paste on sleeve.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

DJ Ferrari

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    og has white cardboard

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    og has white cardboard

yes most definitely!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

DJ Ferrari

Dope funk record, Pack Of Lies is awesome, still the Jan Jan lp has some real ill organfunk also, and is imo just as nice!

DJ Ferrari

Dope funk record, Pack Of Lies is awesome, still the Jan Jan lp has some real ill organfunk also, and is imo just as nice!

You can also get all of the best Fabulous Counts' songs from the LP on 45 as well and save yourself a bunch of $$$.

• How is this LP? I have the other 2 Counts LPs and the Fabulous Counts LP and don't really like any of them. People seem to talk about this one as the best. Truth?

DJ Ferrari

You can also get all of the best Fabulous Counts' songs from the LP on 45 as well and save yourself a bunch of $$$.

I don't think all the tracks were released on 45 (all the good tracks maybe...)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    How is this LP? I have the other 2 Counts LPs and the Fabulous Counts LP and don't really like any of them. People seem to talk about this one as the best.

I see nothing wrong with the Jan Jan album - it's just a grooving set of straight-ahead early funk (as it was in '69). Not too rockish, not too jazzy. My version of it is: that album and the Westbound LP are the only Counts y'all need to fuck with. It's only on the last two albums (on Aware) that things start getting shady.

Jan Jan is alright... just boring after a few tracks. They probably work better as 45s. I think there's 3 of them that pretty much cover any highlights on the LP.

DJ Ferrari

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

DJ Ferrari

The LP is cheap though. One of the better $15 I have ever spent.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The LP is cheap though. One of the better $15$100[/b] I have ever spent.

JAN JAN is not a cheap a record (and not really worth a bill musically either)

You talking about UP FRONT?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    The LP is cheap though. One of the better <s>$15</s>$100[/b] I have ever spent.

JAN JAN is not a cheap a record (and not really worth a bill musically either)

You talking about UP FRONT?

Jan Jan is around too.

but yes, I was talking about up front.

$100 for Jan Jan????? really????

$100 for Jan Jan????? really????

Yeah, I got mine for $20 fairly recently. Never seen it for that much but I guess it wouldn't be too surprising.

DJ Ferrari

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Store I work at (which isn't AP or funkyou! style baller and does not specialize in funk by any means) threw it up one time and got a bill for it... went to a German I think?

That was maybe two years ago and I don't know if it was an aberration or not... it was a really nice copy.

The one I've never seen is UP FRONT but it sounds as if I should just go ahead and purchase? I've got the Pack of Lies 45... perhaps my favorite from them though is the post-LP Fab Counts 45 on Moira though

The Good Tracks, that's what I meant!

• I don't think all the tracks were released on 45 (all the good tracks maybe...)

The Good Tracks, that's what I meant!

You know, now that I go back and read it again, I think you got it right the first time. My apologies...