HALP! I'm DJing outside in the sun!

empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
I'm DJing a silent disco (haha) tomorrow in Times Square for an open to the public event. The production company didn't really consider my needs (but neither did I until I saw the floorplans) and I don't have a canopy / shade. I've learned from this experience having DJed outside with the heat / sun beating down hindering my ability to see my laptop screen and warping my control records. SO, I'm seeking some advice on what sort of quick & easy solutions to discreet shade DJ equipment.

Thanks.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    damn... i should have thought of that. got me thinking of korean grandma visor steez now...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Maybe you can hire a third rate rapper from Brooklyn to climb a light pole and block the sun for you!

empanadamn said:
    damn... i should have thought of that. got me thinking of korean grandma visor steez now...

it's funny that you say that because right after i posted that thread, i sent an email to the production manager for the event asking if we could hire that dude to MC for me since he seems to know the area well.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

white won't warp

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Man, I've been looking for one of those for forever.

But does it squeak?

DOES IT SQUEEEK?

For real tho, I would find any and all way to get a table sized umbrella and use internal mode if shit hits the fan.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    put a track on, switch to internal, take the control record off the platter

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    If you have a mac, press apple-option-control+8 to see the screen better

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    just don't use the control records do it all onscreen of the laptop with the mp3s.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Sadly, I bought one of these for work. And love it.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    mr.brett said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Sadly, I bought one of these for work. And love it.

Are you a beekeeper?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Problem solved

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    What is their policy on gazebos yo?

hey dudes,
    thanks for the advice and recommendations. i pretty much winged it and rocked only 1 turntable (throwing automatic doubles on internal on the other channel). for the morning, i didn't really have to worry because of the shading from the buildings, but after noon i had to deal with the sun over top. luckily i brought an umbrella with me and had it laying over the turntable. i didn't have an easy fix for the glare on the screen. i did use the negative screen trick, but that was also limiting. the main problem was tracking the cursor on the screen. i accidently hit the preferences for track listing, so that, by chance, helped me see the files better since they're cover art based. then i got the idea to just increase the font size super huge for everything. that helped a lot, but still had to deal with the hard to see cursor. overall, a pretty fun experience. normally i hate times square, but being by there for this party i definitely hit a great cross-section of spectators. one of the greater gigs i've played in the past.
    b.

• JalvemoJalvemo 9 Posts
    Another way of doing it next time: