Boston Whats Good?

dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
heading to Boston on Friday for a road trip, wanted to see what was good for rekkids/sound/food and anything else, i looked through the city guide but it was lacking in the Boston area "Stereo Jacks" which was added by axefoley closed back in Mar 2010. last time i was there was 20ish years ago i am sure a lot has changed.

thanks!

Comments

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    In Your Ear in Alston (Best shop in the area) Cheapos On Mass Ave in Cambridge, Weirdo Records On Mass Ave as well. Thats all you'll really need if you have limited time. If you have more time there are more shops in the general area but they're hit or miss. Hit up Soul On Ice, dude is dude and could help alot more than i.

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    We're still open at least for a few more weeks and still buying records .. In your ear, cheapo's and looney tunes are your best bets..

whoops sorry x beat me to it haaa

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    I need somewhere to score some gospel records in Boston, i wish Skippy would bring more stuff to the shop, though Matt Starr running around doesn't help me in the least ;)

peace,xavier

Yes, the starr man is unstoppable lol

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Is In Your Ear in cambridge worth hitting, i haven't stepped foot in there in like 2 years, that place was depressing last time i checked it out. I did find Juanita Johnson on Folkways but that took like an hour of digging w/o another thing to show. Ughhhhh, i sound bitter as fuck.

ehhh not really, I got that Karin jones lp for cheap last year but besides that, nada. Yeah it is depressing in there.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    ^ Damn nice find. Trips to Boston have slowly just turned into "family day out", more so than checking for records. I'll dip into In Your Ear or Cheapo for an hour or so and call it day.

peace,xavier

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    is skippy white still alive? what does he do these days?

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    He has a shop. It's mostly cd's with scattered boxes of records here and there. Nothing like the old spot. Last time i went i scored some HSE records and Private MA Gospel. There seems to be nothing coming in though, i asked him about bringing more gospel in, he said he'd call me when he did, that was 2 years ago.

peace,xavier

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    axefoley said:
    We're still open at least for a few more weeks and still buying records .. In your ear, cheapo's and looney tunes are your best bets..

sweet i'll pop in for sure...i'll be in town for a week or so, thanks for the heads up on the shops as well!