Where does the term two-step come from?

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
I'm not talking about year 2000 two-step like MJ Cole or Artful Dodger but late 70s early 80s modern soul being coined as two-step. From listening to tracks being categorized so I can see the similarities but what kind of a "genre" is it? Who came up with it? I suspect the British. Who can shed some light?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    http://mickeynold.blogspot.com/search/label/leroy hutson

i never heard of it as a genre but this what i found yet no clear explanaton.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The dance.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    To me it's a chicago thing and a country western thing. Both based completely around the dance.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Dancers.

• like's been said, think about the rhythm to dance to it, its two steps on the left foot, two steps on the right...

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    the hood

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Early 80s term for that more sophisticated 70s produced soul sound with a mid-tempo beat, as opposed to the more driving 60s soul sounds that the U.K. underground soul scene were into at the time, and that is still going strong to this day (along with Northern Soul).
    The dance step move of one foot to the right, and then one foot to the left (back to your original position) is the origins of the term 'Two - Step'. Probably one of the easiest of all dance moves to learn and do!

• Options
    Polka!

Who saw that coming?