Micheal Brecker needs help!!

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
IN today's NY Times there's an article on M. Brecker's health and how he needs a blood donor to replace unhealthy stem cells. I cant post the article maybe somebody else can.(dont know how)..duh. There was also an article in JAZZTIMES around 2 yrs ago, regarding health benefits for aging Jazz musicians. Various fund raising has been attempted to help those cats.Brecker has enough money to cover his expenses, but the industry has been lax in addressing musicians' health coverage. I guess its everyman for himself. ps..........anybody have any Brecker favorites?I always liked his solo on "Ease on Down the Road" on the WIZ soundtrack.

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i bought the WIZ last night on dvd, ill be watching it tonight for sure, HOT ISH!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I swa Brecker play with Idris Mohammed and despite a few SNL licks, he tore it up. He can have some of my blood if he wants it. I might be mistaking him with Randy though.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Saw M Brecker with Herbie Hancock a year or two ago. He was with his rendition of Coltrane's Naima.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    IN today's NY Times there's an article on M. Brecker's health and how he needs a blood donor to replace unhealthy stem cells. I cant post the article maybe somebody else can.(dont know how)..duh.
    There was also an article in JAZZTIMES around 2 yrs ago, regarding health benefits for aging Jazz musicians. Various fund raising has been attempted to help those cats.
    Brecker has enough money to cover his expenses, but the industry has been lax in addressing musicians' health coverage. I guess its everyman for himself.

ps..........anybody have any Brecker favorites?

I always liked his solo on "Ease on Down the Road" on the WIZ soundtrack.

Musicians, like athletes, work as contractors and are responsible for paying their own taxes and health care.

Both groups have proven to be poor managers of their money.

I think the reason we don't hear about this problem with actors is their unions have stepped up and provided medical and life insurance. Probabley also tax and legal help.

Most pro athletes are in unions and their unions should step up more. Lots of guys are $120,000 for a year, injured for life, and out on the streets.

Many working musicians are not union. I have no idea if guys like Willie Nelson or 50c join unions when they get their record contracts. I know the list of artists who had hits and then fell on hard times is almost as long as the list of artists who had hits.

Dan