Sleeve Repair, YAY or NAY?

doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
at times it happens you stumble accross a record in nice conditon but the cover is busted. Do you fix or let it as it is?
I for myself fixing sleeves sometimes, happens mostly with exotica rekkids that i know will stay with me or if the seams has allready been fixed but not in a proper way. If you fix, what tape/techniques do you use and if not, why?
Discuss

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This needs to be decided on a cover by cover basis.

Is it an import where the glue has failed? Re-gluing is a no-brainer for me.

Split seam on an American paste on? Nope.

It really depends on the style of manufacture and the nature of the damage.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If it's your record do what you want.

If it is for resale just drop it in a plastic sleeve and let the future owner do what she wants.

I clean covers that are for sale, remove stickers, etc.
    I have been known to mask rips or wear on black backgrounds with a sharpie, but only on less expensive records.

I had a friend who was doing detail color repair on covers. I gave him Bobby Byrd to fix up, and hated the results.

If you are reselling repairs should be noted.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    This needs to be decided on a cover by cover basis.

Is it an import where the glue has failed? Re-gluing is a no-brainer for me.

Split seam on an American paste on? Nope.

It really depends on the style of manufacture and the nature of the damage.

cosign on all your words. of course it depends on the case. but in general do yall think is ok to put tape arround if needed or just put that flimsy thing in a plastic outter and keep it like that. what speaks against a proper seam repair?

LaserWolf said:

If you are reselling repairs should be noted.

no doubt!

yeah, ive seen crazy repairs, especially from colombia, i got an redone Arsenio Rodriguez that guy who did it must have been nuts.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    If I have busted sleeves on nice records, I try and put the LP in a plain white 12" single jacket and house the busted sleeve with it in a LP bag. At least it wont get more busted. I made many minor seam splits worse by simply flipping through them, taking the record in and out...so i've been trying this lately.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    If I have busted sleeves on nice records, I try and put the LP in a plain white 12" single jacket and house the busted sleeve with it in a LP bag. At least it wont get more busted. I made many minor seam splits worse by simply flipping through them, taking the record in and out...so i've been trying this lately.
    Great idea! If a top or bottom seam on an American record is totally split I construct a little sort of "piping" that I make out of a grocery store paper bag. Find the side of the bag that is folded and then trim parallel to the fold about an inch out on both sides. Put some glue neatly on each "panel" or side of the fold and then sandwich this in between the front and back cover. the fold now serves as a new seam! If you are neat about it you won't even know!

Also RE: black sharpie - I did that on one record but the sharpie parts are shiny and the other black parts are matte. It's tricky business man.

• TheKindCromang said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Great idea! If a top or bottom seam on an American record is totally split I construct a little sort of "piping" that I make out of a grocery store paper bag. Find the side of the bag that is folded and then trim parallel to the fold about an inch out on both sides. Put some glue neatly on each "panel" or side of the fold and then sandwich this in between the front and back cover. the fold now serves as a new seam! If you are neat about it you won't even know!

You find a lot of records here with folded over club/gig flyers inserted to mask/avoid worsening split seams. Often a fun exercise to check what they are.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I use invisible tape (which I know isn't really invisible) to tape up seams. I never actually planned to resell any LPs when I bought them & taped the seams up. Sorry dudes.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    I recently won a semi-grail Japanese LP with the oh-so-raer obi, but the obi is torn in half at the top where it folds.
    Im still contemplating whether to fix it, and if so, how...

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    plainstone said:

You find a lot of records here with folded over club/gig flyers inserted to mask/avoid worsening split seams. Often a fun exercise to check what they are.

someone's been buying records at Flash Ranch I see ;)

mattB said:
    I recently won a semi-grail Japanese LP with the oh-so-raer obi, but the obi is torn in half at the top where it folds.

only thing i would do is a clear tape fix, easy to do with tidy results! forget any other potential solution, it will only end in tears ( of both varieties)

tokyobeats said:
    mattB said:

only thing i would do is a clear tape fix, easy to do with tidy results! forget any other potential solution, it will only end in tears ( of both varieties)
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, and on the inside of the obi no less.
    But actually, I think Ill be going with the Johnson & Johnson approach.

tokyobeats said:
    plainstone said:

someone's been buying records at recofan I see
    not hating. it's a good idea...

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    As someone who works in the library/archives field, I have to suggest avoiding tape of any kind. All tape will eventually yellow and fall off, cause further damage, etc. My personal vote would be to go with placing everything into a plastic sleeve. If you do want to perform a repair, I'd take a look at archival techniques. Archivists and conservators use binding materials that do not yellow and adhesives that can be removed years later with a small amount of water.

Check out this procedure on matting and hinging (specifically the section on hinging) from the Northeast Document Conservation Center. Though you wouldn't be creating a hinge, the technique and materials would be similar:

http://www.nedcc.org/resources/leaflets/7Conservation_Procedures/04MattingAndHinging.php

You may want to check out some of the other leaflets for other kinds of repair:

http://www.nedcc.org/resources/leaflets.list.php

Here is a good source for supplies:

Probably the simplest product to use ... a Japanese paper coated with acid-free adhesive:
    http://www.gaylord.com/adblock.asp?abid=15702

Or if you'd rather go hardcore:

Wheat paste:
    http://www.gaylord.com/adblock.asp?abid=14708

Japanese paper (the $44 package should last a long time if used conservatively):
    http://www.gaylord.com/adblock.asp?abid=13511&search_by=desc&search_for=japanese paper&mpc=WW

mattB said:
    tokyobeats said:
    plainstone said:

NEVER seen a flyer inserted into the split seam of a recofan record, and I've bought triple figures from there..... recofan has yielded some gold over the years, no doubt

Gaylord, Your Trusted Source LOL (what a name for a company)

good point with the yellowing of a tape. How long you think it takes to yellow out?

if i fix i only use a special transparent permacel made for aircraft repair, its very flexible and extremely sticky. though, theres no chance of removing it.

ok

tokyobeats said:
    mattB said:
    tokyobeats said:
    plainstone said:

NEVER seen a flyer inserted into the split seam of a recofan record, and I've bought triple figures from there..... recofan has yielded some gold over the years, no doubt

ok

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    thanks to Snagglepus for dropping knowledge!

ive done glue repairs on records i plan on keeping. but i am meticulous about it, refolding every scrap pf original paper back where it belongs so its as close to original look as possible. it can take many days of work (letting glue dry before continuing) to get it right. using weights and clamps etc.

i wouldnt do it to big $$$ records though - just ones where glued or unglued wont make a difference value wise, because the sleeve looked trashed and now looks good, but is glued. i call that a wash.

and yeah its definitely got to get noted if being sold, its still a defect even if it was a great repair job.

in comic books, even a tiny amount of restoration hurts the value - even if its super pro work and looks mint - headz want strictly OG or they want a big discount. it will sell for more than a trashed copy (i.e. what it looked like before restoration), but definitely not for as much as an unrestored copy at the same apparent grade. it gets crazy - blacklights + more are used to detect glue, japanese paper repairs, recoloring, etc.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I almost never do repairs, for the same reasons I've never gotten plastic surgery.

It's not that I don't need it, it's just that it will only make it worse.

karlophone said:

• mattB said:
    karlophone said:

This, in spades, and very pertinent right now as a lot of archivists in Japan are concentrating on trying to help out with documents damaged in the tsunami. Plenty of knowledge being dropped on dealing with water damage to film and video too. My wife's NPO are involved in the latter.

Oh, and re Recofan and Flash ... can't remember the last time I was in either store. I does my diggin' out of town these days ;-)

You coming to our One Box Record Fair on July 31st, D?

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    on my own records i use a variety of felt tipped colouring pens (sharpies have been mentioned, must be the same thing) around the edges, spine, seams and tears. sometimes on the front and back artwork too if i have a very close match colour and can get away without it looking noticeable. if i say so myself i have been able to do some brilliant looking restoration work IMO. totally pushes it up a grade at least, and i hate ratty covers anyway so it's only for my own benefit.

plainstone said:

You coming to our One Box Record Fair on July 31st, D?

I think i'm down for such activities ;)