anybody mess with databending?

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
anyone? a while ago i uploaded a file to vimeo and as usual, when it comes to computers i really dont know what im doing. the file got jacked up cuz i think the bitrate was wrong and i was also using the wrong codecs. it looked pretty cool tho. i want to emulate it and there are quite a few folks messing with it but it seems that you need to know computer pretty well to fudge the data. theres some quick and easy tutorials but they dont seem to work. help plaese!

Comments

• I can't help but I'm interested also. Along with full length high res downloads of examples.

PPU fuxed with it a bit on the video party joint.

Also does anyone know how to create short loops from AVI movies to use as a full screen web page?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    One time I accidentally opened a spreadsheet in Acid Pro. Shit sounded ominous.

• it's of no help, but i just happened to be looking at these images before reading this thread:

http://butdoesitfloat.com/1625725/-a-fetish-made-of-crystals-and-electricity-animated-by-our-wishes

they seem to be on a similar databending vibe...

• mumbosaucemumbosauce 480 Posts
    This video is dope. I like that they had a clip from a rare essence pool party video. (atleast thats what i think it wAs)

I like thiseffect. I didnt know it was called databending. I think kanye or kid cuddy had a vid like this. I have seen other videos on mtvu that use this effect pretty well too.

• neil_something said:
    it's of no help, but i just happened to be looking at these images before reading this thread:

http://butdoesitfloat.com/1625725/-a-fetish-made-of-crystals-and-electricity-animated-by-our-wishes

they seem to be on a similar databending vibe...

Also not of any help but, you can achieve an effect similar to this if you xerox or scan a photo and move it down as it being copied. Just something trippy to do to photos. Dope video BTW

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    cool. Thanks for posting this.
    there goes my productvity for the day!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I don't know much about databending, apart from the vague stuff I've picked up in passing on the processes used, like opening up picture files in text editors and messing with them that way.

::digression::
    In general I'm not a fan of the bending scene, as most of the people I met involved in it were complete knobheads. But this is mainly based on the whole glitch electronics bending thing that was popular a decade or so back. A lot of the 'art' produced by these people seemed heavy handed and formulaic.
    ::end rant::

I like the whole manipulation of old video and messing with the digitising process though. There seems to be a lot of it about these days. Tumblr is full of that ish.

I'm a fan of these dudes work - http://www.aavv-videos.com/ - he gives a short explanation of his process on the first page.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    haha! the scene. ok, well let me ask something more specific. anyone know how to use aviedit to cut off the keyframes (p-frames)? thats what i need. almost all the programs that cost money wont let you do these kind of edits because they will result in a busted clip. but these freebie programs will, the only problem is they arent user-friendly for dudes that dont know computers.

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    You may have more google hits with "datamosh" if that's what you're after.

I've been messing with this a bit, p & i frames are the key. you cut out the frame(whichever one it is) with the new colour info at the start of the cut & the movement controlling frames continue with the previous cuts colours overlayed

This three part tutorial on youtube with links to the free software you need is all I needed to get started. A little confusing at first but great to play with if you like geeking out video-style

yeah, my friend google hipped me to datamoshing, but that kit is for mac users. which is why im running the aviedit, but theres no hand-holding tutorial to show me how to cut the p-frames with aviedit. they suggest virtualdub but virtualdub no longer allows the same amount of control over true frame by frame editing.

ive even went so far as to render out to tiff sequence in after effects thinking i could databend each frame using the wordpad effect. but thats not working either, plus that wordpad effect is kinda bunk.

it is possible to use audacity to databend as well, but still, the output is unreadable by all the picture editors i have.

oops!

• this may be a tad tangential, but it kind of reminds me of the visual easter egg thing aphex twin did some years back.

if you run his song "equation" [off the windowlicker album] through a spectrograph, the visual representation of the tone waves actually show a picture of his face.......

5:27 for the money shot

edit: the song was clearly made for this exact purpose, because it's otherwise unlistenable.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    oops!
    Have you tried using ffmpeg? I've had some pretty interesting effects from that when encoding's gone wrong.

^
    yeah, someone just sent me the pc build of ffmpeg. its meant for macs tho. gonna work it out tonite, hopefully.