proto-noise 2-piece...recently reissued...posted a few years back...

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
please help me figure out what this was. it was in the "Poast a psych record that SHREDS" thread from the last incarnation of the strut, tried searching around on wayback machine but to no avail, and its not on here either.

it was a 2-piece from like 1972 or 74 or something, kinda noisy, bass and drums, almost like a more free, slower Lightning Bolt but from the 70s. it was being reissued, probably by somebody on here. the name of the group was just the two dudes names. ___ & ___. i feel like the cover was a monochrome picture of the dudes in some room by a window. the drummer had tons of percussion shit surrounding his kit.

if anybody knows what im thinking of PLEASE chime in. my friend is doing some research on origins of the blastbeat and im trying to let him know this thing exists, haha

also whats up soulstrut??

Comments

• Options
    It's the "Daily Dance" LP by Doug Snyder and Bob Thompson, reissued on Cantor Records. You have some of the details wrong but that's the one you're looking for.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    last time i saw/heard it was 2008 so i probably invented/imagined a lot of the shit, but this is definitely exactly what i was looking for.

thanks so much!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    talk to the one canonical here or on dermy he had a lot to do with the release

• Options
    ako said:
    last time i saw/heard it was 2008 so i probably invented/imagined a lot of the shit, but this is definitely exactly what i was looking for.

thanks so much!

Here's some info about related recordings:

"Doug Snyder and Bob Thompson-ROBOTS cassette (New Frontiers)

Most BLOG TO COMM readers (at least the ones who ain't a buncha pansies who got oh so offended over what I write like old maids with blue pencils as they used to say) are well aware of the shutter-rock classic DAILY DANCE, a 1972 recording by the duo of Doug Snyder and Bob Thompson which successfully merged the concepts of the even-newer free jazz thing with o-mind rock ending up somewhere in between FUNHOUSE and the late-seventies no wave experiments which owed more'n a few nods to Snyder and Thompson's effort. As "time" has proved DAILY DANCE was a pretty on-target u-ground rockist effort, one that ranks up there with PARADIESWARTS DUUL and HERE COME THE WARM JETS as some of the best early-seventies faux Velvet Undergroundisms recorded by guys who weren't geeky short-haired Bostonians singing about being in love with the Modern World which I guess sez somethin' purty important!

The subsequent Snyder/Thompson efforts didn't exactly ooze rah-rah's outta the same people who waxed eloquent over DANCE, what with their more electronic sound (not in the sixties Velvetist speak so common during the day) and comparatively clean natures. I even get the feeling that most of you readers who were titfed on Snyder and Thompson's early-seventies guitar/drum duels had pretty much written the pair off as having succumbed to the clean eighties rock streak which had watered down more than a passel o' once-potent seventies visionaries. Well tough turds to thee, for I gotta admit to liking the dickens out of the various post-DAILY DANCE efforts of Snyder either on his lonesome or in the company of his longtime percussionist pal. And ROBOTS is just one of these faves of mine, right up there with THE RULES OF PLAY, the Sick Dick and the Volkswagens tape, TOUCAN SMILES and maybe even THE CONVERSATION which I sure wish I had readily available considering how the only copy I have is an ancient cassette tape dubbed for me by one Mr. Bill Shute, a name that should ring a bell with you somehow.

This tape reminds me some other bright lights in the eighties canon recorded by seventies underground rockers, mainly the first O-Type tape which had MX-80 backbone Bruce Anderson and Dale Sophiea doing some insane quasi-metallic hard lope with a wailing wall of guitar sound playing against rhythm machine cadences. True ROBOTS has that eighties MIDI sound that I sure wanted to run fast away from at the time, but here in the teens it sure holds up a whole lot better'n some of the underground careening that I actually thought was the end-all regarding people having something to say...that would interest me, that is. Snyder's electronic keyboard work with its techno-edge at least has a drive and energy to it that thanks to the repeato-riff droning does seem like the logical late-eighties end result in a style and swerve that began with WHITE LIGHT/WHITE HEAT a good twentysome years earlier. Not quite as jarring perhaps due to the upgrade in recording quality, but still bound to cremate Taylor Swift's Premium Ham fans at forty paces.

Come to think of it, this does have that sorta 1978 late-night college radio feel to it that reminds me of something I would have loved to have heard on an especially humid summer evening (preferably a Sunday) while doing the age-old demon rasslin' that still gets me blues workout. And hey, along with some of those latterday Harmonia excursions that I've glommed this is some good old fogeys do well with up-to-date technology kinda music that doesn't sound like a squeaky-clean take on the post-electronic cyborgisms we've been inundated with for ages already! An outta-nowhere winner that I'm surprised didn't make last week's "Cassette Caga" rundown of oft-ignored soundscapading from deeper in the vaults that I ever would have imagined."

http://black2com.blogspot.com/2011/05/due-to-recent-day-long-blogger-outage.html#links

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    gnarly, thanks dudes.

• Options
    Also, there was talk somewhere about the Sick Dick and the Volkswagens tape getting an LP reissue, but I forget what (if anything) happened with that.