No for real, Hip Hop is over now.

2»

Comments

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    sad.. although it aint new..

Imagien if that shit was rapped in this track. Update of 2011 , common adding a verse.. "she" would end up a saaaad ass bitch.

Hiphop is a culture, with many artforms, that are created by people from the streets. thats where it belongs.. Easy accesable to anyone. Wanna make beats, all you need is a mpc(and many other bla bla), or a program and vinyl and/or instruments. Wanna mc, all you need is a pen and paper, and if you wanna record, a program and a mic. Wanna break, go outside join a crew, join a practice club, wanna bomb/write..shit bomb and write..
    etc.
    Its accesible now more than ever..the beauty of art is figuring shit out for yourself, and dwelling through all the mysteries of it.

but what the hell..fuck it.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    punk is as mainstream as rap.
    Hardly. When has there ever been a radio station that played punk songs with the regularity of rap songs? I never saw Jerry Only selling you shampoo. Henry Rollins hawking vodka and owning a clothing label distributed by Macy's. These are too very different genres.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    when i talk about punk in this context i'm talking about green day, and all the rest of the mall shit. same thing with rap. i haven't seen k-rino sell me vodka, but i've seen puff do it. same thing with punk. green day had a musical on BROADWAY. nuff said.

SIRUS said:
    when i talk about punk in this context i'm talking about green day, and all the rest of the mall shit. same thing with rap. i haven't seen k-rino sell me vodka, but i've seen puff do it. same thing with punk. green day had a musical on BROADWAY. nuff said.

There have been precious few crossover punk acts, rap is closer to country than punk.

Fela has a musical, is Fela mainstream?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    SIRUS said:

Gotta agree. We can argue whether Blink 182 or whatever is valid as punk, but they believe they are and so do their fans. And that type of shit is played on pop rock stations everywhere. Because punk is considered part of the wider genre of rock, it's mixed with other strains of rock on those stations. Hip hop is generally considered a genre unto itself, so it has its own stations, except for those who rock the "urban" pop designation and mix R n B and hip hop.

DB_Cooper said:
    SIRUS said:

Gotta agree. We can argue whether Blink 182 or whatever is valid as punk, but they believe they are and so do their fans. And that type of shit is played on pop rock stations everywhere. Because punk is considered part of the wider genre of rock, it's mixed with other strains of rock on those stations. Hip hop is generally considered a genre unto itself, so it has its own stations, except for those who rock the "urban" pop designation and mix R n B and hip hop.

Blink 182
    Green Day

vs.

Biggie Smalls
    LL Cool J
    MC Hammer
    Outkast
    2Pac
    Beastie Boys
    Eminem
    Will Smith
    Nelly
    Puffy
    Vanilla Ice
    50 Cent
    Dr. Dre
    Fugees
    DMX
    Jay-Z
    Salt-N-Pepa
    Kanye
    Lil Wayne
    BEP

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    As to the important (ok not that important) question; is punk taught in schools? The answer is yes.

• hip hop university in minnesota. it HAD to get to this point.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    man I can't stop laughing at this video.

peep 4:22.

that shit ahs me rolling. I've rewound it like 6 times.

the multilingual countdown was hilarious
    the books shown in the ad seems like a collage of wikipedia articles

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    tuneup said:
    DOR said:

jesus..... Phill is just so damn good. listening to the snippets now. amazing.

believe that! and then cry when u know prolly half made their way to JAPAN, and I can't even get my hands on one......*loud sobs*

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    To me this is very much like rock music camps - if you have talent in this field then you don't need to go to school or camp or any of that shit.

It's a fine line between dreams and delusions.

sayin.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    barjesus said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    SIRUS said:

Blink 182
    Green Day

vs.

Biggie Smalls
    LL Cool J
    MC Hammer
    Outkast
    2Pac
    Beastie Boys
    Eminem
    Will Smith
    Nelly
    Puffy
    Vanilla Ice
    50 Cent
    Dr. Dre
    Fugees
    DMX
    Jay-Z
    Salt-N-Pepa
    Kanye
    Lil Wayne
    BEP

Sum 41.....

Sex Pistols
    The Clash
    Patti Smith
    The Talking Heads

These folks are under the radar?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

Is that a butch lesbian on the left??

batmon said:
    barjesus said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    SIRUS said:

Blink 182
    Green Day

vs.

Biggie Smalls
    LL Cool J
    MC Hammer
    Outkast
    2Pac
    Beastie Boys
    Eminem
    Will Smith
    Nelly
    Puffy
    Vanilla Ice
    50 Cent
    Dr. Dre
    Fugees
    DMX
    Jay-Z
    Salt-N-Pepa
    Kanye
    Lil Wayne
    BEP

Sum 41.....

Sex Pistols
    The Clash
    Patti Smith
    The Talking Heads

I think it's telling that you had to reach back to the '70's to find groups relevant to this conversation. Sure, a handful of Punk groups have crossed-over to the mainstream in the last 3 decades, but they are a drop in the bucket compared with the complete dominance of the Mainstream airwaves by Rap/Rap related music in the last 10 years. I mean even the production techniques of the majority of pure pop these days is more closely related to Rap than even Rock (let alone Punk) these days. Be realistic.

barjesus said:
    batmon said:
    barjesus said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    SIRUS said:

Blink 182
    Green Day

vs.

Biggie Smalls
    LL Cool J
    MC Hammer
    Outkast
    2Pac
    Beastie Boys
    Eminem
    Will Smith
    Nelly
    Puffy
    Vanilla Ice
    50 Cent
    Dr. Dre
    Fugees
    DMX
    Jay-Z
    Salt-N-Pepa
    Kanye
    Lil Wayne
    BEP

Sum 41.....

Sex Pistols
    The Clash
    Patti Smith
    The Talking Heads

I think it's telling that you had to reach back to the '70's to find groups relevant to this conversation. Sure, a handful of Punk groups have crossed-over to the mainstream in the last 3 decades, but they are a drop in the bucket compared with the complete dominance of the Mainstream airwaves by Rap/Rap related music in the last 10 years. I mean even the production techniques of the majority of pure pop these days is more closely related to Rap than even Rock (let alone Punk) these days. Be realistic.

I think you're having the "what's more mainstream" argument while we're having the "is it mainstream" argument.

barjesus said:
    batmon said:
    barjesus said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    SIRUS said:

Blink 182
    Green Day

vs.

Biggie Smalls
    LL Cool J
    MC Hammer
    Outkast
    2Pac
    Beastie Boys
    Eminem
    Will Smith
    Nelly
    Puffy
    Vanilla Ice
    50 Cent
    Dr. Dre
    Fugees
    DMX
    Jay-Z
    Salt-N-Pepa
    Kanye
    Lil Wayne
    BEP

Sum 41.....

Sex Pistols
    The Clash
    Patti Smith
    The Talking Heads

I think you're having the "what's more mainstream" argument while we're having the "is it mainstream" argument.

No, I'm having the punk is not popular or mainstream enough to have University majors dedicated to it argument. I might be having it alone though.

barjesus said:
    DB_Cooper said:

No, I'm having the punk is not popular or mainstream enough to have University majors dedicated to it argument. I might be having it alone though.

Ah, I got you. I don't think anyone will be teaching punk rock as a university major any time soon. It's made its way into mainstream pop is all I'm saying.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This degree will rank just above degrees in........

Art History
    Philosophy
    Bartending School
    Music Therapy
    English Lit

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Philosophy

#1 most successful college majors in law school.

but go ahead and believe it's for idiots...

• Rockadelic said:

Philosophy
    English Lit

please be joking.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Philosophy

No one said they were for idiots....

But after reading your post I Googled "Most Worthless Degrees" and sure as shit English Lit and Philosophy were in the Top Ten..along with American Studies, Film, Religion and Dance...at the very least it's humorous.......sorry if my attempt at comedy hit too close to home for some of you.

Philosophy
    Why It Won???t Help You Get a Job: This isn???t ancient Greece: No one is going to pay you money, or allow you to sodomize their attractive son, in exchange for your knowledge of existence. Never has there been an employer who???s said ???Man, we???re having all kinds of problems, I wish we had someone on our team who could reference and draw conclusions from the story of Siddhartha that would pull up our fourth quarter numbers. I took many philosophy classes and it involved reading and smoking a shit pile of weed. You don???t need to pay 20,000 dollars a year to do that. All you need is twenty dollars and a library card.

What Job You???ll End Up With: Thanks to your extensive knowledge of philosophy, you???re now self-aware enough to know that most jobs out there will make you totally miserable. So most likely you???ll wait tables part time and hope someone starts paying you for the bi-monthly entries on your blog.

English Lit
    Why It Won???t Help You Get a Job: If someone can spend a weekend with a box of Cliff???s Notes and have only a slightly less conversational knowledge of what you spent 4 years studying, you probably don???t have the most employer friendly degree. Having an English Lit degree is like being a member of the Kansas City Royals: No one cares and the best you can hope for is every once in a while someone buys you a beer because of it.

What Job You???ll End Up With: You can read and comprehend, so that gives you an advantage over 99.5% of the people that peruse Craig???s list job listings. Therefore, you???ll most likely end up landing an entry level position at a random small company, or showing up to your interview and being raped repeatedly by a group of masked men.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    willie_fugal said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Philosophy

But after reading your post I Googled "Most Worthless Degrees" and sure as shit English Lit and Philosophy were in the Top Ten..along with American Studies, Film, Religion and Dance...at the very least it's humorous.......sorry if my attempt at comedy hit too close to home for some of you.

Philosophy
    Why It Won???t Help You Get a Job: This isn???t ancient Greece: No one is going to pay you money, or allow you to sodomize their attractive son, in exchange for your knowledge of existence. Never has there been an employer who???s said ???Man, we???re having all kinds of problems, I wish we had someone on our team who could reference and draw conclusions from the story of Siddhartha that would pull up our fourth quarter numbers. I took many philosophy classes and it involved reading and smoking a shit pile of weed. You don???t need to pay 20,000 dollars a year to do that. All you need is twenty dollars and a library card.

What Job You???ll End Up With: Thanks to your extensive knowledge of philosophy, you???re now self-aware enough to know that most jobs out there will make you totally miserable. So most likely you???ll wait tables part time and hope someone starts paying you for the bi-monthly entries on your blog.

English Lit
    Why It Won???t Help You Get a Job: If someone can spend a weekend with a box of Cliff???s Notes and have only a slightly less conversational knowledge of what you spent 4 years studying, you probably don???t have the most employer friendly degree. Having an English Lit degree is like being a member of the Kansas City Royals: No one cares and the best you can hope for is every once in a while someone buys you a beer because of it.

What Job You???ll End Up With: You can read and comprehend, so that gives you an advantage over 99.5% of the people that peruse Craig???s list job listings. Therefore, you???ll most likely end up landing an entry level position at a random small company, or showing up to your interview and being raped repeatedly by a group of masked men.

Neither of these are worthless to anyone interested in a career in education.

For all the things wealth can buy, one of the best would be to go to school for the simple pursuit of knowledge as opposed to the means to a job.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    willie_fugal said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Philosophy

Philosophy

English Lit

yeah, i mean i know this is kind of a joke, but the really sad part is that most people actually hold this attitude towards these disciplines.

i sincerely believe that the disregard for the importance of philosophical study is one of the root problems of modern society.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    bassie said:
    Rockadelic said:
    willie_fugal said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Philosophy

Philosophy

English Lit

Neither of these are worthless to anyone interested in a career in education.

For all the things wealth can buy, one of the best would be to go to school for the simple pursuit of knowledge as opposed to the means to a job.

word
    that supposedly funny article is more clich?? than midlife figures with toup??s

• vinegarvinegar 56 Posts
    Do you need to wear karl kani baggy jeans to attend to thoses
    hip hop lessons?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    their graduation

LEAVE HIPHOP ALONE

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Herm said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Is that a butch lesbian on the left??

I think so, yes