LE PIMPSTANCE DU MELVILLE

2»

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Folls, Plaese to check out films starring Jean Paul Belmondo. This dude is a real OG. Belmondo did lots of crime & action movies and did a lot of his own stunts. He was a big influence on Jackie Chan as Jackie often mentions in interviews. Check out the following Belmondo joints, Morricone did a lot of the soundtracks....

The Professional - Le Professionel

The Hunter Will Get You - L'Alpagueur

Flic ou voyou

The Night Caller - Peur sur la ville

• Just a little title to add: Themroc.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    co-sig on "The Bride Wore Black," although FT's other adaptation of a Cornell Woolrich novel, "Mississippi Mermaid," I found unwatchable. I have seen "Elevator," and there is a Malle retrospective coming to my town just next month, with something like 18 films...I finally get to see les Amants!!

and props on tha icon, Miss B - that Millie LP is a nice one.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    co-sig on "The Bride Wore Black," although FT's other adaptation of a Cornell Woolrich novel, "Mississippi Mermaid," I found unwatchable. I have seen "Elevator," and there is a Malle retrospective coming to my town just next month, with something like 18 films...I finally get to see les Amants!!

and props on tha icon, Miss B - that Millie LP is a nice one.

merci! l'??poque d'innocence pour Mlle Jackson, non?

les amants is really good. there was a Malle retrospective here about a month ago at the cinematheque - wonder if it's the same "tour"?

there was a Malle retrospective here about a month ago at the cinematheque - wonder if it's the same "tour"?

most likely...I always get frustrated because Film Forum in NYC will show a 35-film program, and the same program minus 20 films will then come to Boston/Cambridge. There was a massive Westerns series at Film Forum a few months back that had almost every obscure Western I want to see ("The Furies" with Barbara Stanwyck...aaarrrggh!), and when it came to Cambridge it turned into "The Top 15 Westerns of All Time" ie every movie you've already seen 10 times...

there was a Malle retrospective here about a month ago at the cinematheque - wonder if it's the same "tour"?

most likely...I always get frustrated because Film Forum in NYC will show a 35-film program, and the same program minus 20 films will then come to Boston/Cambridge. There was a massive Westerns series at Film Forum a few months back that had almost every obscure Western I want to see ("The Furies" with Barbara Stanwyck...aaarrrggh!), and when it came to Cambridge it turned into "The Top 15 Westerns of All Time" ie every movie you've already seen 10 times...

Is there a Cinematheque in Boston? I only found out that many cities have them - I used to think it was just a Toronto phenomenon.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    some great shit up in this thread.

i've got a large soft spot for Eric Rohmer, who in my opion gets the least props of the Truffault / Goddard triumvirate.

Claire's Knee, Pauline At The Beach

Un Flic is dope, except for the hilarious helicopter / train sequence.

• Is there a Cinematheque in Boston? I only found out that many cities have them - I used to think it was just a Toronto phenomenon.

la has two. but they are run by the same people, and share many of their movies.

When I was a kid, there were around 8 to 10 film houses showing old movies all the time around here. My Dad dragged me around to them all for years, showing me movies from the silents to jazz shorts to the OG Willie Wonka. Now we are down to only a couple. Harvard University's Film Archive has screenings around 2/3 of the year, and show all kinds of stuff, from all over the world and all time periods. In the summer they do double features of more popular (but still obscure & esoteric) films, and I have been out there a couple of times a week all summer, soaking it up. We also have The Brattle, a filmhouse that has been around for over 100 years, and where I saw countless old films that shaped my life since childhood. Unfortunately, even they have been selling out a bit lately, showing the same movies all the time and more and more recent hits. Still, they pull out at least a couple of gems every year. The French Library in downtown Boston I believe has a "cinematheque" as a department, but only co-host screenings at local theaters, without screening any on their own.

• Is there a Cinematheque in Boston? I only found out that many cities have them - I used to think it was just a Toronto phenomenon.

la has two. but they are run by the same people, and share many of their movies.

sf has one, plus a german one too, i think. and the almighty pacific film archive in berkeley. pfa is my all time favorite cuz they show all that weird art movie shit plus its relatively cheap, uh, last time i went. $5.

did you know in hollywood just getting a movie ticket can cost as much as $18? it's freekin ridiculous!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Un Flic is dope, especially the helicopter / train sequence.

Is there a Cinematheque in Boston? I only found out that many cities have them - I used to think it was just a Toronto phenomenon.

not to be corny - but it's priceless what they do. they guy who writes most of the program guide here is really good, too. sometimes he'll big up things that turn out to be duds, but his passion and love for it all make it OK. I found out about so many amazing filmmakers through Cinematheque. I thought I was going to burst when the lights came on after Shadows - that kind of shit, you know? The first film I saw there was Frida - this one, not the one with SStrut babe Salma Hayek.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I thought I was going to burst when the lights came on after Shadows

really????????

i saw it and appriciated it as a "historic moment in cinema", but honestly it left me cold... goddamn beatniks! "death of a chinese bookie", that's my shit!

• oh drat. plaese to not turn this into cassavettes thread.

I thought I was going to burst when the lights came on after Shadows

really????????

i saw it and appriciated it as a "historic moment in cinema", but honestly it left me cold... goddamn beatniks! "death of a chinese bookie", that's my shit!

chinese bookie is amazing too. i'd be hard-pressed to say i didn't like any of his films.

very much right movie right time right place.

i could have watched about an hour more of it. really! then when the whole mingus/improvised credit came up, i thought i had found the perfect movie. (this is like 12 yrs ago)

also not en francais and amazing which I first saw at Cinematheque is Sweet Smell of Success. that movie is tauter than fake tits.

oh drat. plaese to not turn this into cassavettes thread.

oops - sorry kinda guilty. i will not mention him again.

why though?

why though?

dont listen to me. i just dont like his movies.

they used to show Shadows on late night canadian TV (cbc?) all the time when i was in high school.

i've got it on tape but havent seen it in years.

I've yet to actually make it out to cinematheque here in toronto. i saw David Shrigley talk there but that's about it.

the membership is totally worth it.

i have to admit.. im a huge movie fan but i rarely go to theatres.. same as music too.. rarely go to shows.

i like to be totally immeased in the experience and i get way to distracted by shitty airconditioning, crowds, popcorn munching, etc etc.

the person i'd like to get ahold of is the programer for my local rep cinema... the revue on ronces.... i swear to god they show the WORST second run crap on the planet. great old theatre but i've been maybe 5 times in five years. and only because i've just been desperate and it's in the hood.

why though?

sorry shig.

my friend just got shadows on dvd. i havent seen it yet. but i thought woman under the influence was amazing.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

They're pretty much all based on Henri Langlois's Cinematheque Francaise in Paris; Langlois was a huge film buff and started showin' movies in a buildin' in the city to buddin' cineastes, etc. - many of the Nouvelle Vague/New Wave directors as well as Cahiers du cinema writers/scribes attended religiously; durin' WWII, Langlois famously transported films in baby carriages in order to protect 'em from the Vichy regime/German occupation troops and stored 'em in his bathtub...

The proposed 3 screen structure bein' proposed in Toronto takes its cues from the National Film Theater in London, on the South Bank of the Thames (although there have been rumblin's that it will move to Soho)...

One of the more impressive places dedicated to film I've been to is the Danish Film Institute in Copenhagen, well worth takin' in a film or 2 there...

Off-topic, Bud Boetticher is one of my fave director of Westerns alongside Anthony Mann...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Folls, Plaese to check out films starring Jean Paul Belmondo. This dude is a real OG. Belmondo did lots of crime & action movies and did a lot of his own stunts. He was a big influence on Jackie Chan as Jackie often mentions in interviews. Check out the following Belmondo joints, Morricone did a lot of the soundtracks....

The Professional - Le Professionel

The Hunter Will Get You - L'Alpagueur

Flic ou voyou

The Night Caller - Peur sur la ville

THIS is the Belmondo to see, besides Godard's Breathless

great stuff.

And who knew all you clowns were such sophisticates(well, besides Rape_Donk, anyway)....geez, ladies, yer collective slips are showing!

Seriously, co-sign on Le Cercle Rouge and Le Samourai, I still have to watch Bob le Flambeu

Any of you effete snobs into Jacques Tati while we are discussing French Cinema over wine and triskets?

a genius.
    And the Playtime DVD is some dvd raer

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    I've seen a whole ton of the aformentioned shit and I still say the best French movie of all time is The Moon in the Gutter, JJ Beineix's ultra stylized, X-rated followup to Diva. Unfortunately not on DVD except as a boot -- if you ever have a chance to see this in the theater, it will split your brain in two.

I scoff at all attempts by the French at Gangsta, especially Delon.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Any of you effete snobs into Jacques Tati while we are discussing French Cinema over wine and triskets?

a genius.
    And the Playtime DVD is some dvd raer

Tati indeed was a comic genius; the superficial description usually ascribed as him bein' the Gallic version of Buster Keaton is too glib and doesn't even begin to hint @ his social commentary on the travails of modernization that was occurrin' - evident in PLAYTIME in TRAFFIC (which pretty much bankrupted Tati since he had to front his own $ given that he found no investors to back him on that project) - MON ONCLE and MONSIEUR HULOT'S HOLIDAY also are recommended, but personal fave is JOUR DE FETE...

David Bellos's biography of Tati is well worth lookin' into if you're a fan...

From what I know, PLAYTIME will be re-released eventually; originally retired from the Criterion collection @ the behest of Tati's daughter...

• Hate is a French movie I remember enjoying..This movie has probably been mentioned already in this thread, but I only read Shigs first post...

• this thread is too long to read all of the recommendations but I have to big up francois ozon. i've only seen 3 films by him but they are all ill.

also the guy that did ridicule is pretty nice.

and classics robert bresson is heavy. only did 14 movies in his life all worth seeing. (i've only seen about 3).

kind of hard to find though. it's time they reissued the pickpocket already.

dave

• oh yeah if netflix isn't satisfying your obscure movie crave check out facets.org
    kind of weak though they charge you eight shipping for vhs tapes. and the only good stuff they have is on vhs.