What music player do you use?

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
Other that when you're listening to vinyl, what apps are people using for listening and organizing mp3s and other music formats? I personally use vlc a lot, just cause its so lightweight. It's been years since I had an ipod, but I'm probably going to get an iPad soon, and I'm dreading having itunes in my life again.

Also, anyone using any subscription services like Rhapsody or Spotify? Anyone using something interesting for mobile stuff, other than default iphone/ipod app? I assume a lot of people are using itunes at home, but just wondering if anyone's got something else they prefer.

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    vlc or quicktime
    words can not describe how much i loathe itunes

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    the_dL said:

Would interpretive dance suffice?

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    ive been using rhapsody for years, absolutely love it.

works like a charm, huge catalog, and a killer iphone app that even lets you download up to 2000 songs for playback without internet access.

it's only $10 a month--100% worth it, imo.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Since about 1997..

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    iTunes isn't THAT bad

These days though i'm mostly using Spotify Premium... it's on online account so playlists etc only needs to be updated on one machine (laptop, desktop, iphone), and then they're all sync'd

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    supposedly media monkey is the one, specially if you have iphone / ipod etc cause you can sync to those.

im still using itunes sadly.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    just saw this incidentally

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/05/steve-jobs-apple-icloud

I know Spotify has been trying to launch in the US for a long time, looks like apple are going to beat them to the punch by paying off the majors

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    Since about 1997..

Yep. The ability to tweak whatever I want to the point where it's just so means that for all my dalliances with other players I always return to winamp.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Junior said:
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    Since about 1997..

Yep. The ability to tweak whatever I want to the point where it's just so means that for all my dalliances with other players I always return to winamp.

it really whips the llamas ass

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    the_dL said:

Would interpretive dance suffice?

I use google music beta mostly right now.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    buh-bump:

people still using itunes? spotify? foobar? beats??

i'm enjoying beats when i'm on the go, and have been using foobar and a few other things at home.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I got an ipod 8 years ago and started to use itunes.

I still have them but hate them so much I rarely listen to digital files.

Youtube through my computer monitor speakers describes most of my online listening.

It's good to know that there are ways to listen to digital files that people don't hate, but I don't have the motivation to learn/download/payfor them.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I got an ipod 8 years ago and started to use itunes.

I still have them but hate them so much I rarely listen to digital files.

Youtube through my computer monitor speakers describes most of my online listening.

It's good to know that there are ways to listen to digital files that people don't hate, but I don't have the motivation to learn/download/payfor them.

Moving to digital files (from records and CDs) is tough since I was spawned from a family of heavy audiophiles. I'll never be able to habituate to the 'mp3 sound.' Can't do it. Color me old and crusty!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I've been happily using iTunes for about 13 years now to manage about 20,000 well edited songs. I like it for a number of reasons. It syncs easily with my phone. I have Airport Expresses hooked up to a bunch of vintage stereo systems around the house so it's easy to have whole-house sound controlled from my phone as a remote control. I can adjust volumes individually for each room, or turn systems on and off. Playlists are easy to make and use. I use the star rating system on my phone to edit the list when I get home. One star means delete. 2 means trim the length. 3 is for playlists I'm working on currently. 4 is for general "add to playlist" for certain genres. 5 stars is to add to my personal listening playlist. My phone is set to automatically include my personal listening playlist, my "added to library in the last 30 days" playlist, and the rest with random songs that I listen to and edit on the go with the star rating system. I can add playlists for certain occasions.

I'm open to change. What's better than what I'm using currently?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    My podcast habits necessitated informationTunes. I couldn't figure out how to subscribe to podcasts without that crap junk of a shit.

I have a big folder on my computer called MUSIC. How I still can't dragon drop anything from there onto my informationPod I don't get it. I don't fucking get it and I will never fucking get it and you're starting to ruin my day.

That's all I want. Dragon dropper to device. In one pass.

The way files have to live in one place on my computer for iTunes to deal--that kills me too. Like say say say for instance say I download something to my firefox dl folder and put it in my iTunesbrary. And then I boom I move it to a happier MUSIC folder. And informationTunes loses it. Ugh. Kills me.

But yeah I use iTunes. Because there's no way maintaining podcast rss feeds to my open source gniel young yolo player is going to be achievable.

I just have too many differing file/naming formats. Unknown Artist is We Are The World in my iTunes and the motherfuckers are getting zero plays because I can't fix it.

The way I do it now boom is I'll just make a new playlist and call it JROCCMIXSTRUT and the knowledge stays within my brain.

Um yeah and this goes down on an informationPod touch, which I really do love. It's a little big when I skip rope it'll bang around in my HOOP_SHORTS so sometimes I use this lil old dragon dropper creative zen plastic jobby that actually rulz but yeah iPod touch level 4 is pretty sick I'm not going to lie to you guys. Not here. Not now.

That's for digi. Sometimes I'll plug that piece into my sQratch mixer and play it in my apartment.

Podcasts have to be either in headphones or in the car.

What else?

I never listen to music on youtube.

I can't watch movies on my laptop either. Sometimes laying in bed with my iPad, but nah. Gotta be on screen.

I washed my bike with WATER inside my apartment last week.

Coffee.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    MediaMonkey.

Being a bit anal, it's great for making sure all the files are Artist - Title.[format] and all have artwork embedded in the tag, where the format supports it. You can fix up a lot of these issues with minimal effort.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    MediaMonkey.

Being a bit anal, it's great for making sure all the files are Artist - Title.[format] and all have artwork embedded in the tag, where the format supports it. You can fix up a lot of these issues with minimal effort.

One man's minimal...

• I'm really enjoying google play. You can upload something like 20,000 songs to your cloud for free and then listen to them on the excellent app. Love how it works with my chromecast, which is hooked up to my living room stereo. Playlists are easy to make.

Still use iTunes for the star rating system.
    I like how in iTunes Radio you can choose between common and raer for each channel you make.

Here's how I use both:

Put a bunch of unrated songs on my phone and rate them using the iTunes app. Later, (using PC) upload all 4 and 5 star songs to google play (I have an iTunes playlist for all 4 and 5 star songs, and google play lets you upload by iTunes playlist if you want). Then, when listening on google play (app), I add the playing song to all playlists it belongs in.

My phone doesn't have enough storage to hold all the songs Iike, but google play enables me to have mobile access to all of them. Also, it lets you download to your phone so you can listen on the subway too (as long as there is room on your phone).

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    CBear said:
    I've been happily using iTunes for about 13 years now to manage about 20,000 well edited songs. I like it for a number of reasons. It syncs easily with my phone. I have Airport Expresses hooked up to a bunch of vintage stereo systems around the house so it's easy to have whole-house sound controlled from my phone as a remote control. I can adjust volumes individually for each room, or turn systems on and off. Playlists are easy to make and use. I use the star rating system on my phone to edit the list when I get home. One star means delete. 2 means trim the length. 3 is for playlists I'm working on currently. 4 is for general "add to playlist" for certain genres. 5 stars is to add to my personal listening playlist. My phone is set to automatically include my personal listening playlist, my "added to library in the last 30 days" playlist, and the rest with random songs that I listen to and edit on the go with the star rating system. I can add playlists for certain occasions.

I'm open to change. What's better than what I'm using currently?

Sounds like a good system.
    My system is pull a record off the shelf, put it on the turntable, go do the dishes.
    Luddite related.