This ISN'T a remix (Definition of a remix)

DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Over the past few years (maybe longer) the concept of a remix has changed and is all outta wack. I recall remixes with new beats (not always better but definitely different) and sometimes different lyrics, but mainly it was a different beat. Now, all the remixes coming out just add more rappers/singers to the same track - so should this be called a remix? I'm sketchy on this, cuz a remix as I know it to be has a different beat, but does a track constitute as a remix if it only has different rhymes (but the same beat)? I say hell nah... Then again it is mainly the jiggy/mainstream katz that do this (i.e. chingy, 50/all of g-unit, dupri, etc), but I guess my thang is, if you're gonna call it a remix, then that shit needs to sound different.... And there are some indy heads doin this too - I guess I'm venting... But my ultimate question is:What is considered a remix???

Comments

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    the beauty of a remix is that Its the mothafunking remix. anything goes and I say keep it that way.

• the terms are definitely convoluted these days because a lot of labels and artists seem to use the terms more loosely than before.

Still, there are differences. When you have the same musical track that has a whole bunch of different singers or emcee's on the same beat, that's usually considered a "version" not a remix.

in my mind a remix is taking at least some element of the original song and making it into your own creation. Whether it be grabbing just the bassline, a keyboard riff or what have you. Really, it all depends on the what the remixer has in mind, but thats pretty much it. It's not that strict of a line to follow.

then you have the 're-edit' where this is more like grabbing an original track and extending something of it to make it more DJ friendly, like extending the beginning of the track or extending the break, so you can mix easily in or out of it.

Then you got your mash-up where i'm not even going to get into, but that pretty much is comprised of mashing up two tracks in real-time or doing that in te studio (where some ould consider that to fall in the 're-edit' category.

anyway, hope this helps.

peas.

• yeah the whole "lets just have more people rap on it and call that a remix" thing is stupid to me, but I guess if thats what people are calling it these days, then so be it. Like if I said "yeah i do remixes", then what does that mean? I rap on other peoples tracks?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    in summary

differant vocals over same beat = version
    differant beat under original vocals = remix
    differant structure than original but still uses the orginal for the source = re-edit
    taking beat from track 1 and putting it under vocals from completely differant track 2 = mashup

• dayday 9,611 Posts

What is considered a remix???

this is a remix

THIS IS A REMIX

WE WILL NOW TAKE THE TIME

to remix it

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    MUTHA FUCKING REEEEEEEEEEEEEMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

this is a remix

THIS IS A REMIX

to remix it
    +

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

this is a remix

THIS IS A REMIX

to remix it

Break It Down Like This!!!

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts

taking beat from track 1 and putting it under vocals from completely differant track 2 = mashup

I always called this a blend. Is this a new word?

blend is also acceptable.

you might want to crawl out from that rock though

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    the beauty of a remix is that Its the mothafunking remix. anything goes and I say keep it that way.

in my mind a remix is taking at least some element of the original song and making it into your own creation.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts

I'm kind of stuck under the rock. Hopefully the internet will help me the learn the latest terms for matching bpms

• On that note. What would you reall call what A Tribe Called Quest did with the Scenario Remix with completely different vocals and beat. Whole track says scenario like 3 times. Dope as hell but why not just name it something new.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    On that note. What would you reall call what A Tribe Called Quest did with the Scenario Remix with completely different vocals and beat. Whole track says scenario like 3 times. Dope as hell but why not just name it something new.

I think they were just trying to capitalize on the success of the origional.

• On that note. What would you reall call what A Tribe Called Quest did with the Scenario Remix with completely different vocals and beat. Whole track says scenario like 3 times. Dope as hell but why not just name it something new.

I think they were just trying to capitalize on the success of the origional.

those tracks where both on the single (cassette version) so I don't how it would be ATCQ trying to capitalize.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

I'm much happier w/ "blend". "mashup" is some buzz word vice magazine made up to make an old technic sound like it was something new for those out of the loop. I hate that fucking word.

i agree blend is a much better term.. but i always thought of a blend as more of a live dj technique.. francis grasso laying the orgasms from whole lotta love over chicago is a blend. and it's also not for the whole track.. just sections.

anyhow as for the mash-up phenom any inkling for what the first comercially released one woulda been?

• I am just thankful that Puffy invented remixes...thanks diddy..see you in Miami at the show!