Where does Prince stand in the pantheon of Guitar Gods?

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
Saw Prince perform recently at the Inglewood Forum and dude's shredface was so effortless and melodic, it blew me away. I'm by no means a guitar expert but I have to put him in the top 100 guitar greats (living).

Exhibit A

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Top ten easy IMO.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Top ten easy IMO.

Really?

Top 500, Maybe.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, IMO. Top ten.

Not to be a hatter but his style is some soulful pentatonic shit with a little Hendrix flash thrown in. Good, but not top 10 material or even 100, sorry.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think he deserves more respect.
    I don't care for thrashing guitar solos these days as much as I did when I was young.
    Having something to say with the guitar is as important as talking loudly.

I have no problem putting him in the top ten, but I probably haven't even heard the top ten current hot guitar players.

LaserWolf said:
    I don't care for thrashing guitar solos these days as much as I did when I was young.

I have no problem putting him in the top ten, but I probably haven't even heard the top ten current hot guitar players.

Problem with Prince was his guitar work was so entrenched in overproduction and keyboards that is hard to make him out. Live he is great... has great feel, Hendrixy. But I can think of a 100 more memorable guitar players than him. Eddie Hazel, for instance.

RAJ said:
    Not to be a hatter but his style is some soulful pentatonic shit with a little Hendrix flash thrown in.

Yeah.
    I am just putting him in top ten rock guitar players.
    Best I know, rock guitar is "pentatonic shit with a little Hendrix flash thrown in". I mean Hendrix played "pentatonic shit" didn't he? If it aint pentatonic chances are it aint rock.

But I am no rock expert so I am probably wrong.

RAJ said:
    LaserWolf said:

Problem with Prince was his guitar work was so entrenched in overproduction and keyboards that is hard to make him out. Live he is great... has great feel, Hendrixy. But I can think of a 100 more memorable guitar players than him. Eddie Hazel, for instance.

No doubt. I like Prince's guitar playing and I don't care for guitar solos that much, so I rate him.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    He stands about 5:1

Jackie Brenston spins in his grave everytime the word "pentatonic" is used.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    He's not sittin next to Jimi, so he aint Top 10 for me.

But I still get emotional at Purple Haze. Dude can fuskin' play.

I think dudes need to start listing songs that are examples of his better guitar playing.

Cosmo said:
    Top ten easy IMO.

While I don't agree, I respect the choice.....we're all turned on by and tuned in to different things.

I'd put Leslie West and Myke Jackson in my Top Ten yet I'd expect no one else would.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Raj - would put Prince above say a John Frusciante, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen?

Rockadelic said:
    Jackie Brenston spins in his grave everytime the word "pentatonic" is used.

I'm interested. Why does Pentatonic make Brenston spin?

batmon said:

I think dudes need to start listing songs that are examples of his better guitar playing.

In this song his guitar helps build tension.

phongone said:
    Raj - would put Prince above say a John Frusciante, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen?

Above Frusciante (another Hendrix biter), absolutely, but does not hold a chance agains Page / Van Halen. These dudes had very distinctive, influential styles. Prince... way too Hendrixy... and if I'm going to choose a Hendrix biter, it would be Eddie Hazel.

I skipped lunch today, can you tell?

batmon said:

Some Prince studio guitar rockers:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Problem with Prince was his guitar work was so entrenched in overproduction and keyboards that is hard to make him out. Live he is great... has great feel, Hendrixy.

See, that's the thing...most so-called "guitar heroes" emphasize it. Even if you hate Eric Clapton, you don't question why he's considered a guitar hero by some**, because the guitar is always up in the mix. He's not going to hide behind a horn section. Prince, on the other hand, can probably hold his own with any ten shredders, but his records aren't exactly shred-a-thons.

It's like when there was a Soul Strut "favorite guitarists" thread. I confused a few people by mentioning Curtis Mayfield. With and without the Impressions, his music always had a prominent guitar. But because he never took any blazing solos, a few of you wondered exactly why I would mention him. Some of y'all probably never noticed the guitar at all, except in pictures. But he did have a distinctive style, even if he was in the background most of the time.

**I just needed a random example. If you want to start an anti-Clapton argument, now ain't the time. Besides, if you don't like Clapton, I'm probably on the same side as you.

pickwick33 said:
    Problem with Prince was his guitar work was so entrenched in overproduction and keyboards that is hard to make him out. Live he is great... has great feel, Hendrixy.

See, that's the thing...most so-called "guitar heroes" emphasize it. Even if you hate Eric Clapton, you don't question why he's considered a guitar hero by some**, because the guitar is always up in the mix. He's not going to hide behind a horn section. Prince, on the other hand, can probably hold his own with any ten shredders, but his records aren't exactly shred-a-thons.

**I just needed a random example. If you want to start an anti-Clapton argument, now ain't the time. Besides, if you don't like Clapton, I'm probably on the same side as you.

I mean is this a Top 10 shredder argument or Personal Top 10 or All world Top 10. Obviously, by listening to that "I'm Yours" clip above... this dude can SHRED, but he never really stood out to me... because it was lost in all the pop shit.

He is not on my radar of 100 favorite guitar players... but neither is Yngwie Malmsteen... Some underrated players I think are better than Prince from a distinct sound / influential perspective include cats like Andy Summers, Lindsey Buckingham, Robert Fripp, Peter Green, Neil Schon....

• Options
    How much lead guitar did Prince even play on his records? I thought he generally had someone else on hand playing lead.

Who is the current guitar player who came up playing jazz/r&b and now does kind of quirky outside Morricone influenced stuff? Rendo?

He had a great quote about how people think a guitar is like a trumpet. On the trumpet it is hard to play high notes, but on the guitar it is easy, but the crowd goes nuts when you hit the high notes as if you were doing something hard.

I also like the scene in the Michael Jackson movie where he is teaching his guitar player (Jennifer Batten) the solo he wants. He keeps telling her to hit her highest note.

I will concede that Prince does not have an instantly recognizable guitar style.

LaserWolf said:
    I will concede that Prince does not have an instantly recognizable guitar style.

I disagree.......EDIT. ... agreed....instant - No.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Marc Ribot

• HamHam 872 Posts
    top ten for me too.

NomoreGarciaparra said:
    How much lead guitar did Prince even play on his records? I thought he generally had someone else on hand playing lead.

All of them. He might have had help in the SYMBOL days but dude runs the lead axe.

• leonleon 883 Posts