They Need Killin' (Texas Death Penalty Related)

2»

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Deterrence is not the only reason for criminal punishment, including the DP. Just thought I'd remind people of that.

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Not being a Christian I don't believe that only God can judge people.

I can respect this. I say I don't believe in God, but I was raised by a 5th generation liberal Protestant minister so maybe my moral compass is genetically influenced to think this way, but I find the collective justice unjust, on balance, when I look at the big picture in this adamantly, racially biased, for-profit-incarceration nation.

I can absolutely understand the mindset of those who feel society's worst are "sub-human," who feel violent criminals and sexual predators should be punished severely, even killed for heinous crimes such as with the Nuremberg trials or The Hague, but I think we should strive to be better than killers and find alternatives to the death penalty since the cost of becoming killers (when we execute) seems higher to me than the cost of forgiveness. I can respect those who feel otherwise but I think something is flawed in their reasoning.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    sakedelic said:
    I can respect those who feel otherwise but I think something is flawed in their reasoning.

I was raised in a Lutheran Church.....I can't find forgiveness in my heart or in my mind for humans who commit heinous crimes.

Forgiveness has 7 pillars with the first one being Understanding (???Without understanding the nature and ways of our common humanity, forgiveness, has no soil in which to grow.) It is impossible for me to understand why someone would commit a heinous act beyond self defense/self preservation, therefore it is impossible for me to truly forgive them.

I understand that this makes some people, especially Christians, feel that my reasoning is flawed....I'm cool with that.

• blakatomblakatom 95 Posts
    When the guilt is obvious, such as this case, that person should be executed. Sorry but you have forfeited your right to live amongst us. But what does that make us, the ones carrying out the judgement? Deep questions.
    Anybody heard the new PuffDaddy?