They Need Killin' (Texas Death Penalty Related)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
This should have happened 10+ years ago......not only should this kind of scum be eradicated from the earth, it will be an added bonus if it makes other scumbags think twice before directing their murderous hate towards others.

Good riddance! One down, two more to go.

Killer in Jasper hate crime gets Sept. 21 death date

JASPER, TX (KTRK) -- The execution date is now set for one of the men convicted of dragging James Byrd Jr. to death in a racially motivated hate crime 13 years ago.

Byrd's family calls the development it's been waiting for bittersweet.
Louvon Harris, who now lives in northwest Harris County, says she expected June 7 -- the 13th anniversary of her brother's murder -- to be yet another with no news. That was until Tuesday when she got an unexpected phone call.
Harris has waited 13 years for this day.
"Thirteen is a long time," he said.
And for this phone call.

"She said well I got good news," Harris said.

On Tuesday, a judge in Jasper signed an order making September 21 Lawrence Brewer's execution date. He will be the first of two men to die for the racially motivated dragging death of James Byrd Jr. in 1998.

Harris is Byrd's sister, and she's been calling the attorney general's office every three months for years. On Tuesday, they called her.

"When she called, I felt a little peace, but then sadness, too," Harris said.

All the awful details came flooding back -- the torment, the trials, and the worst, that Harris' mother isn't alive to hear the news. Stella Byrd died last October.

"It was one of those things that she was concerned, will justice ever be served?" Harris said.

In his name, Byrd's family has hoped others learn.

"There's only one race and that's the human race and that we got to have different ideas and diversity and we all have one common denominator and we're humans," Harris said.

They have carried that message of peace around the country, all while waiting for a punishment to be carried out. Harris now knows where she'll be September 21.

"I hope to be there, not because it's going to be a happy occasion, but just to see that justice is done," she said.

That justice, she says, is neither swift nor fair.

"He'll get a lot better than my brother did. In two to three minutes, a needle go in his arm and he just slips away, and my brother was tormented for three to four hours on the road and was decapitated," Harris said.

John William King also got the death penalty. His case is still on appeal.

Sean Berry was sentenced to life and he's his most recent appeal was rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1997.

Most of Byrd's family still lives in Jasper.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    APD shot 2 dudes and killed 1 in the street the other night.

• Options
    The death penalty is a disgrace to human civilization. I'm glad I don't live in a state where ignorant yahoos party outside of prison gates while waiting for the lights to dim.

And our murder rates up here generally run about half those in Texas - consistently, year after year. So much for making scumbags think twice.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    The death penalty is a disgrace to human civilization. I'm glad I don't live in a state where ignorant yahoos party outside of prison gates while waiting for the lights to dim.

And our murder rates up here generally run about half those in Texas - consistently, year after year. So much for making scumbags think twice.

We're glad you don't live here too.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yeah oldarelic is from brooklyn he knows everything so watch out

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    KILL 'EM TWICE!

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
    My only problem with this conviction is the 13 years it took to come to.

• Options
    soundsreal said:

I assume you mean "execution," not "conviction."

Yeah, we need to execute these people 3 minutes after they're convicted. A nice bullet to the back of the head, like they would do in more civilized countries. Never mind any of this sniveling about all the people on Death Row who have been exonerated years after the fact. Who cares? Never mind that the death penalty is applied in a racist fashion and that most people accused of capital murder get a rudimentary defense paid for with small change. Who cares? Executions are way cool and put hair on our national chest.

Let's put these executions on the tee-vee and make little kids watch them. That'll train the little varmints right. Hire Chuck Norris to host the show and call it "Walker, Texas Executioner."

I can hardly wait.

• NomoreGarciaparra said:
    soundsreal said:

Let's put these executions on the tee-vee and make little kids watch them. That'll train the little varmints right. Hire Chuck Norris to host the show and call it "Walker, Texas Executioner."

I can hardly wait.

Right. I understand where you're coming from and I use to feel that way too until I moved in w my girl and found out our neighbors daughter was raped and killed at 7. Her moms life was ruined. I'm not sure what happened to the guy who did it because I couldn't bring it up but we live in California so he's probably still alive. Maybe even released or rehabilitated... Or more likely out to do it again.

It's easy to be compassionate toward something you're removed from but if that happened to you or someone close to you I'm pretty sure you'd be singing a different song.

• Options
    PocketLint said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    soundsreal said:

I can hardly wait.

Right. I understand where you're coming from and I use to feel that way too until I moved in w my girl and found out our neighbors daughter was raped and killed at 7. Her moms life was ruined. I'm not sure what happened to the guy who did it because I couldn't bring it up but we live in California so he's probably still alive. Maybe even released or rehabilitated... Or more likely out to do it again.

It's easy to be compassionate toward something you're removed from but if that happened to you or someone close to you I'm pretty sure you'd be singing a different song.

I hope I'm not that weak. I don't think I am.

I'm not motivated by compassion for actual murderers. I don't care about them at all. I'm concerned about living in a decent society that doesn't behave in sick and stupid ways.

The death penalty is sick, stupid and pointless and even worse than that as it's applied in this country.

It should be pretty easy for you to find out what happened to the guy you're talking about if you really care all that much. But I guess you haven't bothered, so I have to conclude that you really don't care all that much. So before you draw conclusions about how you think I would act examine your own posturing.

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts
    I'm totally in agreement with NomoreGarciaparra on this. The death penalty has zero deterrent effect on crime and actually costs society (i.e taxpayers) more than incarceration. It's totally stupid and immoral besides. There is no question that innocent people have been executed in Texas. "Thou shalt not kill" is absolute, no exceptions. "You shouldn't kill people, so we're going to kill you" makes less sense than the War on Drugs.

Food for thought on the subject:
    http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/ctnj.php/archives/entry/op-ed_murder_victims_mother_suggests_the_big_picture_is_more_important/

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/dthrow.htm

sakedelic said:
    I'm totally in agreement with NomoreGarciaparra on this. The death penalty has zero deterrent effect on crime and actually costs society (i.e taxpayers) more than incarceration. It's totally stupid and immoral besides. There is no question that innocent people have been executed in Texas. "Thou shalt not kill" is absolute, no exceptions. "You shouldn't kill people, so we're going to kill you" makes less sense than the War on Drugs.

Food for thought on the subject:
    http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/ctnj.php/archives/entry/op-ed_murder_victims_mother_suggests_the_big_picture_is_more_important/

If you're going to use the bible to guide your morals you can't pick and choose.....or does "Thou Shalt Not Kill" somehow supercede "An Eye For An Eye"? .

As long as we have scumbags that tie a man to a truck and drag him until he is decapitated solely because of his skin color I will support the Death Penalty on a case by case basis.

And in this case, with this evidence and the scope of this crime...I support it one zillion percent.

If that makes me morally inferior or Un-Christian like, so be it.

My only problem with this case is that justice wasn't swift enough and the cost of housing this sub-human for 13 years could have put two law abiding folks through 4 years of college.

Lex Talionis

sakedelic said:

Mr. Byrd's family supports this execution and the execution of the other two scumbags who killed their brother/son.

Why should the above Mother's opinion mean any more than theirs?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    NoMore, it seems like youre against the way the death penalty system is applied, I couldn't agree more but I have no doubt that there are some crimes so bad that death is the only punishment. I wouldnt think twice about executing this dude from Jasper.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The death penalty debate is one where most folks are firmly entrenched in their beliefs, and there will be very few minds changed by arguing cases. It's cool if dudes want to express their opinions, but I wouldn't want any of you to expect that you're going to change anyone else's mind in this thread.

Carry on.

DB_Cooper said:
    The death penalty debate is one where most folks are firmly entrenched in their beliefs, and there will be very few minds changed by arguing cases. It's cool if dudes want to express their opinions, but I wouldn't want any of you to expect that you're going to change anyone else's mind in this thread.

Carry on.

I think these threads/debates are more about self righteousness and defending/expressing personal morals than changing anyone's mind.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I hear you. And if anyone is interested, I would pull the trigger on this guy myself, and sleep soundly that night with the satisfaction of a job well done. But that's just me.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I go back and forth on the death penalty. I know that it is barbaric and uncivilized. I know that it is no deterrent to criminals, and I know that there have been and will continue to be innocent people put to death. But at the same time I think of the Byrd family, or the family of Polly Klaas (who had the man who murdered their 12 year old daughter flip them the bird in the courtroom) and I totally understand their need for some sense of justice.

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    My only problem with this case is that justice wasn't swift enough and the cost of housing this sub-human for 13 years could have put two law abiding folks through 4 years of college.

Execution, median cost = $1.26 million. Non-death penalty cases through to the end of incarceration, median cost = $740,000.
    (Based on a study in Kansas: http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/death-penalty/us-death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost).

Bottom line for me is the hypocrisy of the position that "It's okay for us to kill you, but not for you to kill anyone." A society that sends this message is inherently fucked imo.

And the reality of the death penalty is that blacks (especially) or hispanics who kill whites are executed in an extreme disproportion to all other convicted murderers in the US. So in condemning this one racist act of Lawrence Brewer, you would happily support a racist system and condone the occasional execution of innocents. Pretty fucked up, me thinks.

Rockadelic said:

I think these threads/debates are more about self righteousness and defending/expressing personal morals than changing anyone's mind.

Well, you started it. Fist pumps for bloodlust! Hooray! Kill!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "If you're going to use the bible to guide your morals you can't pick and choose.....or does "Thou Shalt Not Kill" somehow supercede "An Eye For An Eye"? ."

Theologically speaking Thou Shalt Not Kill does supersede An Eye For An Eye.

And for Christians, Turn The Other Cheek supersedes An Eye For An Eye.

My opinion on the death penalty has gone back and forth several times. Both sides have compelling arguments.

My current feeling is that even though some people deserve to die I do not want the state to have that authority.

Also, I believe we should Do Onto Others...

Which brings up the current death penalty brouhaha in Oregon. Inmate on death row is asking that appeals stop and he be put to death for the crimes he admits to.

• people who believe in god are funny...

sakedelic said:

There are plenty of studies that show that the Death Penalty actually costs less than LWOP.

Of course these are statistics presented by Pro-Death Penalty organizations just as your Kansas study was done by an anti-Death Penalty group. If you would seriously like to read an opposing study you can find many, including this one here....
    http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/dp.html

What you call "Fistpumps for bloodlust" I call "Justice Being Served" and the celebration of this may be morally scrutable but is definitely on the side of the law.

Not being a Christian I don't believe that only God can judge people.

We as a society have to judge people by their actions and our society has determined that these Jasper jack-offs no longer deserve to live with the rest of us.

And I support that decision and am glad to see the victim's family getting a modicum of satisfaction from it.

I respect anyone who is morally against the Death Penalty.....and don't expect to be able to change their opinion.

Can you respect someone who supports it?

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    "If you're going to use the bible to guide your morals you can't pick and choose.....or does "Thou Shalt Not Kill" somehow supercede "An Eye For An Eye"? ."

Theologically speaking Thou Shalt Not Kill does supersede An Eye For An Eye.

And for Christians, Turn The Other Cheek supersedes An Eye For An Eye.

If we want to add historical accuracy to that, "an eye for an eye" is not from the Bible, though it's referred to in it. It's from the Code of Hammurabi, which predates the Bible by centuries, at least.

That said, I have mixed feelings about the death penalty as well. I'm somewhat inclined to agree with Rock's notion of using it on a (carefully weighed) case-by-case basis.

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Also, I believe we should Do Onto Others...

The thought of Christians doing unto me that which they would have me do unto them is repulsive. I know that this so called "Christian" moral is actually Confucian in origin, but still I'd have hoped we'd have moved beyond assuming the desires of everyone around us coincide with our own and forcing our own ideas on them.
    I also agree however that the state should not have the power to decide on capital punishment. The closest surviving relative should make the decision, as well as carry it through.

• Options
    Grandfather said:
    NoMore, it seems like youre against the way the death penalty system is applied, I couldn't agree more but I have no doubt that there are some crimes so bad that death is the only punishment. I wouldnt think twice about executing this dude from Jasper.

Sorry, but I can't justify the death penalty by pointing to one scumbag and saying, "Dude has it coming." Lots of dudes have it coming. That doesn't make it a good policy.

I'd much rather take the needle than spend the rest of my life in a maximum security prison in Texas, by the way. It's not even a close decision.

• Options
    DB_Cooper said:

Maybe so, but the fact is that support for the death penalty goes up and down in this country all the time. It has gone down over the past decade as case after case has been overthrown by DNA testing, for example.

I'm not willing to trade the execution of the occasional innocent so DP fans can have the occasional jizzfest over the death of a real scumbag. Texas gets to avenge James Byrd, fine, but who is going to avenge this guy?:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/07/090907fa_fact_grann

No one. Texas murdered him collectively, so they get to skate and move on to the next party at the fence.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    sakedelic said:

There are plenty of studies that show that the Death Penalty actually costs less than LWOP.

Of course these are statistics presented by Pro-Death Penalty organizations just as your Kansas study was done by an anti-Death Penalty group. If you would seriously like to read an opposing study you can find many, including this one here....
    http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/dp.html

That "study" made me laugh out loud. The section where they work out the respective costs is ludicrous in the extreme.

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/dp.html#D.Cost

They're positing 50 years per life sentence and just 6 years on Death Row per death sentence. Talk about cooking the books!

"DP fans can have the occasional jizzfest"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    PocketLint said:

Precisely the reason emotion has no place in logic.

• Options
    LaserWolf said:
    "DP fans can have the occasional jizzfest"

I've read too many Byron Coley reviews or something.