Reggae auctions / suctions.... has anything been done about fake bidders?

tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
So has anyone heard anything from ebay in regards to Reggae auctions being sabotaged?
These cretins seemed to have moved to LPs as well.
Just curious as to whether word has come from the folks at Ebay.

Cheers.....

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    It's (nearly) all one dude no?

The simple answer is set sales. And stop giving this dude positive negs just because you want to insult his mother. It pushes fake IDs into legit territory.

I am wondering what % of popsike listings for 60s skinhead/ska 45s are totally bogus. Carlos bid up a ska auction of mine once and I just said fuck it and sold it to a VGPlusser for $20. But the listing is still up there at $65.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I started a thread on Waxidermy not too long a go about this, there was some knowledge dropped:

http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34401&hilit=reggie

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    It's (nearly) all one dude no?

And stop giving this dude positive negs just because you want to insult his mother. It pushes fake IDs into legit territory.

I definitely don't do this. However....it was a fake pos that let me know definitively today that the bidder was a phony, so it does serve some purpose. The real deal is that the bidder does not pay, so they will get kicked off soon enough anyway so I think the fake pos doesn't mess up too much. That said... i won't do it as i understand you point as well.

I don't feel too good about this situation improving, as it seems "Carlos" gets away with it all the time. Years now.....
    How the hell does he navigate the system to make this work?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    He's like the pace car at Indy. Ebay hoping for second chance winners at inflated prices as they get more in fees. Ebay doesn't care about your other auctions where serious bidders smelled a rat and stayed away.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    But I think my main question is how way off is popsike for this shit? There are more than a few 45s that you can see are the same one being relisted and all selling in the same range, weeks or months apart. If they are all bogus, then people are being misled about how much they would lose by not selling it on ebay and doing set sales. Ebay wins again.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I only have one 45 I wanna sell, but I would rather do a buy it now to avoid this maniac, but I am unsure if it is a $10 record or a $100 record. Can anyone give me some advice on it? Its a blank white label of Slim Smith "Everybody needs Somebody" with a PAMA stamp on one side. Worth selling?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    My last round awhile back was ruined by a fake bidder. I don't believe its just one guy because a few of the auctions had at least two fakers bidding on the same listings. I called ebay as soon as I saw their names and how much stuff they won, but they weren't all that helpful.

One of the dudes who "won" a lot of the shit had bid on at least 300 items since registering a few days prior. I suggested that ebay institute a bid limit until users attain 10+ feedback and I was only given corporate speak about them noting my suggestion.

If I ever do another Jamaican auction I would make the starting bids a little higher than normal and restrict the bidding to pre-approved users

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    So why does this guy/these guys want to ruin all of the reggae auctions? I don't get it.