Recommend a Case of Beer

Comments

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    In your area, I LOVE Yards Pale Ale. A little on the citrusy side, but great in hot weather.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Frank said:
    Not a huge fan of the IPA craze. They give me a headache and sometimes even heartburn. They all seem more or less off-balance.

I like IPAs, but it seems like hardly anyone does them right. I feel like all these micros are competing to see who can make the hoppiest (and highest alc%) brew and they just turn out to be undrinkable.

I actually prefer Harpoon to almost all of the boutique versions, at least it's a balanced, quaffable brew.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    Frank said:
    vintageinfants said:
    god bless quebec and their pursuit of ridiculously cheap beer.

55 cans - $60

I wouldn't touch that carbonated piss if you'd pay me $10 a bottle. No offense but where's the point in drinking beer if you can't taste it?

no offense taken at all. i don't ride for coors at all, i was just showcasing the hilarity of the case (it's lined with rubber for pouring ice in too!).

im personally way into German wheat beers like erdinger (and their delicious dunkel). also, an ice cold kronenbourg blanc has been hitting it on the hot days lately.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    god bless quebec and their pursuit of ridiculously cheap beer.

55 cans - $60

i was just showcasing the hilarity of the case (it's lined with rubber for pouring ice in too!!

That's fucking genius!
    You buy it, fill it up with ice and by the time you're home it's chilled. Brilliant!

Funny you mention Kronenbourg. I always thought it wasn't any good until recently trying it at my new venue and I have to say it's a not a bad beer at all. I had a bunch of them just last night. Hefeweizen is my summer beer of choice. I prefer Schneider's Weisse, Weihenstephaner and Paulaner to Erdinger and in the mentioned order. At least as far as the ones widely available in the US go. Be careful though, this stuff gives you a solid beer gut with the quickness.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Sween said:
    elise said:
    I work at a French Soul Food spot and was exposed to this recently:

New Orleans styleeeeeeeee.

Don't order a Dixie if you're in N.O. Their factory was flooded by Katrina and subsequently looted, and they've never returned to the city. Not much love for the company down there right now. A friend of mine got sassed hard by a waitress a few months ago when he tried to order one, wound up with an Abita instead (can't go wrong with the Turbo Dog). Dixie is now brewed around the country by contract brewers, I get their six packs once in awhile and they taste different every time.

Interesting. I was told they are now producing in Wisconsin? Also, I was told they are trying to go back and restore the facilities back in New Orleans to produce again there. I only had a sip of it. Just an average beer. I like IPA's so I liked the Jokamo, naturally.

And, yes, the strawberry Abita. Girly? Kinda, but not really.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Settled on:

One of my favorite beers... The dropped the price of a case of this from $100 to $60... so I popped on that.

And of course for the humid, hot weekend:

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    Frank said:

Funny you mention Kronenbourg. I always thought it wasn't any good until recently trying it at my new venue and I have to say it's a not a bad beer at all. I had a bunch of them just last night. Hefeweizen is my summer beer of choice. I prefer Schneider's Weisse, Weihenstephaner and Paulaner to Erdinger and in the mentioned order. At least as far as the ones widely available in the US go. Be careful though, this stuff gives you a solid beer gut with the quickness.

look for THIS:

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    any cincinnati dudes/midwest dudes ever mess with little kings? i haven't had them since the late 90s since they aren't distributed on the west coast.
    west of the rockies dudes should try bitch creek esb(extra special brown) from grand teton brewing. this beer is SO good. i strongly recommend you guys give it a day in court.
    for the cali dudes, the california pale from firestone brewing is really good if you haven't had it.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Horseleech said:

I like IPAs, but it seems like hardly anyone does them right. I feel like all these micros are competing to see who can make the hoppiest (and highest alc%) brew and they just turn out to be undrinkable.

^

yah I agree with this. For every 10 that I try I really only will revisit 1 or 2 and that may be pushing it. For Some of these bullshit IPAs I gotta wonder if a brewmaster even tastes these turds before bottling. And if so has he/she ever had a decent IPA before to get an idea on what to try to acheive?

BAD IPAs:

KONA Castaway < Worst of the Worst
    Rahr & Sons < Forgot the hops, and from Ft Worth, I really wanted to like this
    Sam Adams Attempt < No.
    Hoppy Boy < Forgot the brewery name but this shit is just shit
    Harpoon Leviathon < Drinkable but really more forgettable. Would go for normal Harpoon IPA before "Specialty" Leviathon
    Lagunitas 90 < So syrupy, I know some ride, I've tried, I quit. Have fonder memories of 60 minute
    Broken Halo < Massest and bullshitest of the mass produced bullshit
    Brew Dog Punk IPA < the ABV content than a bottle of wine, smells, tastes and finishes like mud. Bitter, unbalanced mud.
    Hop Devil, Hop Rod, and few other clever plays on words that I can't remember.

OK, I'm done. Happy Tuesday morning.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Also, you guys realize what your breath is like after a couple of micro brewed IPAs? Holy shit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Y'all just keep talking down on Dixie. But whether produced in NOLA or BFE, "it ain't nothing like the real thing, baby". Sorry, but for a lot of us who come up in a time before Abita even existed, there is no substutute for an ice cold Dixie, preferably in a can.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    For the Pacifico, try one in pint glass with ice, half a squeezed lime, and 10 drops of this

It's like a bloody mary you can drink all day

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Also, you guys realize what your breath is like after a couple of micro brewed IPAs? Holy shit.

^

this is very true. And you get double the calories and double the alcohol so in no time at all you are magically transformed into a fat drunk idiot with dogshit breath.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    People who have issues with American IPAs are better off sticking to regular Pale Ales or British IPAs, which are more balanced. American IPAs are highly hopped, that's just the style, with Imperials and doubles pushing the extremes. I like them a lot for the most part, but agree that some are either lack luster or undrinkable.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Normally can't stand American IPAs. It's like drinking bread to me... and in the summer, this is not a thirst quenching option.

I fux with Sam Smith India Ale, though.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I rode my bike to the beer store the other night and didn't want to ride back with bottles. They have some pretty decent stuff in cans now. This Avery Lager was excellent.

• Options
    HarveyCanal said:
    Y'all just keep talking down on Dixie. But whether produced in NOLA or BFE, "it ain't nothing like the real thing, baby". Sorry, but for a lot of us who come up in a time before Abita even existed, there is no substutute for an ice cold Dixie, preferably in a can.

How did anyone talk down about Dixie? I said I buy it occasionally and it tastes different every time, which is true since it's been contracted out the past couple years. Elise said it was an average beer, also true. No one said they clean their paintbrushes with it, or wouldn't kill slugs with it since it's demeaning to slugs, or that licking a barmat at 3am on a saturday tastes better. No one's insulting your beer, take a breath. Dixie is a good beer, but the drool of Jesus it isn't.

• Options

Who rides? I'm down to two 4 packs left.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sween said:
    Dixie is a good beer, but the drool of Jesus it isn't.

It's the sweat of Archie Manning being sacked continuously by Jack Youngblood is what it is.

• Options
    HarveyCanal said:
    Sween said:
    Dixie is a good beer, but the drool of Jesus it isn't.

It's the sweat of Archie Manning being sacked continuously by Jack Youngblood is what it is.

Great, now I'm thirsty.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    SportCasual said:

yep but smoked beer has been a terrible trial experience for me are they all this bad both aftertaste and breath

pcmr said:
    SportCasual said:

yep but smoked beer has been a terrible trial experience for me are they all this bad both aftertaste and breath

Only thing smoked beer is good for is using in crock pot bbq for adding smoky flavor.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    pcmr said:
    SportCasual said:

Only thing smoked beer is good for is using in crock pot bbq for adding smoky flavor.

That's not a bad idea. The one smoked beer I had several years ago was disgusting. And I like a lot of strong-tasting beers.

bluesnag said:
    CousinLarry said:
    pcmr said:
    SportCasual said:

That's not a bad idea. The one smoked beer I had several years ago was disgusting. And I like a lot of strong-tasting beers.

I drank one once in the early 80's and told myself never again, which I've had no problem sticking to.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Is this the bacon backlash? I cannot otherwise explain grown men dissing smoked beer. It goes well with food, especially food that gives you bad breath anyway.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Is this the bacon backlash? I cannot otherwise explain grown men dissing smoked beer. It goes well with food, especially food that gives you bad breath anyway.

Yup, goes especially well with cured meats, and its more for fall/winter drinking than summer, although Aecht's Helles Rauch is pretty good. I'll concede the style doesn't lend itself well to drinking more than one or two.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Great summer ale. Slight aroma/aftertaste of melon (cantelope in the US?).

SportCasual said:
    Is this the bacon backlash?

No, I just like my bacon on the plate, not in my glass.

SportCasual said:

I love smoky scotch, but I just couldn't get down with the smoked beer. I want a beer that compliments my food, but that doesn't mean it should taste like food.