freeway

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central

ISLAM
Rapper Freeway
MAJID AL-SUQAIRI

PHILADELPHIA: US rapper Leslie Edward Pridgen, better known by the stage name Freeway, a moniker he appropriated from the infamous American drug dealer ???Freeway??? Ricky Ross, has since embracing Islam become a prominent anti-drugs campaigner.
Famous across the world in rap circles, Freeway resolved to use his celebrity to combat drugs and violence, and told Okaz/Saudi Gazette from his home in Philadelphia of how he arrived at his new purpose in life.
???The name Freeway helped me get famous,??? he said. ???I lived in an environment where armed violence was common and a lot of people used drugs, and I myself had been in prison because of drugs. But after I became a Muslim I decided to use my prominence to spread awareness among youth of the dangers of drugs and violence.???
Freeway said he is currently busy with lecture tours in America and Canada at universities and other sites of youth gatherings.
???On every visit I take with me Muslim musicians to attract more fans, and I show photographs and films revealing the dangers of drugs and violence.???
He said he is also in discussions with the relevant authorities in Arab countries with a view to holding lectures and meetings in the Arab world. ???We might do a tour of Islamic centers and universities and schools, or even go out into the street to meet the youth and spread awareness,??? he said. ???A lot of Muslim rap stars will come with me to the Middle East.???
Despite his fame and wealth, Freeway admitted that he only attained happiness after visiting the two Holy Mosques in Makkah and Madina last year.
???The culture of the Arab Muslims really influenced me. I heard the call to prayer and saw people going to the mosques to pray, keeping to their good morals and treating people well, and it motivated me to learn more about Islam and call others to Islam. I joined the Canadian Dawah Association where they have a project for famous singers and musicians to inform about Islam and its principles of tolerance.???
He said he has no intention of giving up singing, however. ???Now I???m much more aware of what I say, because in Islam I???ll be more responsible for every word I utter.???
Freeway first came to the attention of the public with fellow rapper Jay-Z. After embracing Islam, he gave up singing for over three years to dedicate his time to learning more about Islam, a period during which he came to the Kingdom to perform Umrah, a visit he hopes to repeat this year as a Haj pilgrim.
??? Okaz/Saudi Gazette __

Comments

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    ?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Does this change his stance on gravy?

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    He needs to put "Line Em Up" on the youtubes.

• carlislecarlisle 11 Posts
    "when the heat stops working then my heat starts working." Classic.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    did you just find out that he's a muslim?
    or did you find the article interesting?

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    if he just became one, he already had a head start on the beard, so that was lucky.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Jamal said:

?

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Jamal said:

?

what is it?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Jamal said:
    white_tea said:
    Jamal said:

?

what is it?

?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    OHHH SHIT

BRAND NEW BY FREEWAY

SHOUTS TO MY MAN, DARREN CHANDLER UP AT THA ROC