Digging Alone Vs. With Someone

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Took a little road trip Saturday with 3 Strutters to dig for records at a new spot. I had a blast and everyone walked away with a nice pile of records. Having mentioned this to a few folks I was met with "Why are you digging with others, don't you want all the records for yourself?". And quite frankly the answer is no...I enjoy the camraderie and I've always thought it was more fun to share the experience than to do it alone.

I do understand that if you do this for a living you may not want to share....but my experience is if you share your leads with folks who in turn share their leads with you you wind up getting just as many records by virtue of having more spots to dig.

I'm lucky that our local scene has really embraced the share and share alike mentality and that works great especially when each person specializes in different genres.

So how do you roll....Solo Digger or The More The Merrier?

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    In a trip situation i will always prefer company
    It helps that the people i do it with are close friends and dig other genres
    Also it helps that i have brought a couple of these folks along so that they show some gratitude and it benefits me just as my knowledge and larger collection benefits them.
    In the city, regular spot circuit i prefer to dig alone for the time constraint reasons...
    It's always better with others and i believe you gain a lot more from sharing than from shut-in type things.
    However if i get a call to peruse a dead jazz musicians collection i am not texting 6 dudes either.

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
    pcmr said:
    However if i get a call to peruse a dead jazz musicians collection i am not texting 6 dudes either.

I would assume the private collection on sale would be viewed at someone's house or personal property. I think the seller would be deciding who is invited. Ask ahead if you can bring a friend in, or I would assume it's not okay.

But digging at stores or markets, that's way better with friends! "I'll buy that if you aren't planning to" and either way you're listening to it at the end of the day. Good times. Don't you like showing your friends what you scooped anyway?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    pcmr said:

Agreed.....but as soon as I pick out what I want from the collection I'm calling them...and even paving the way for them to come look with the dead musicians family by vouching for them up front.

I'll be very happy if I get to go through anyone's sloppy seconds.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Lady Gaga = Liza Minelli 2011

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Always best to dig with someone whose knowledge intersects with, but does not completely duplicate your own. Many fine records have been unearthed for others by me and vice versa.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    i'd love to go dig with someone/people, but unfortunatly West Texas is deprived of culture. On that note: if any Strutters roll through West Texas send me a pm. I know a few spots around Abilene.

Peace

Jason

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    psst here in Cleveland it is dog eat dog no one shares anything and everyone is trying to out "scoop" the next person...this is why what little scene that existed here in the mid to late 90's is long dead. It's pretty pathetic and if you have been here to any extent you already know who the main culprit is.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Rock,

Usually, when shopping locally, I dig alone. It's not a preference, just that I don't have any record collector buddies in the immediate vicinity. When I take trips, I'll meet up with a Strutter or two and dig with them. It's always great to dig with them, as they'll hip me to things I'm unfamiliar with and vice-versa. I used to go diggin' with my brother William and his friend Charles back in the day, and we all used to have great finds (and times). Plus, it's always nice to break bread and have drank with your peeps after a productive day of grippin' vinyls.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    as long as I'm headed somewhere that has ample records (i.e. not a thrift with one or two crates), I always prefer company. I learn a lot, a little friendly competition keeps me focused, and it makes what may too often be a solitary nerd activity feel more like a team sport.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    On my own more than not. Once in a while, it's cool - if someone comes to visit Toronto, for example - but it's a solo endeavour for me. Not because I want first dibs or don't want the competition, but I like moving at my own pace and it's goofy to me when people are constantly showing each other this record and that and making quips here and there - I don't want to be on the receiving end of that lol.
    It's a ritual thing, too; I went looking for records on my own for so long when I first started, it's just what I am used to and prefer.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    It depends. If I find a 'new' or relatively obscure spot (way easier here than in the States) I always go by myself.
    If it's a common flea market or store or whatever, company is cool, although just close friends. I must confess I rarely do it, but when it happens, I enjoy it. As someone said before, the friendly competition (looking at your friend's stack) puts a little extra rush in your digging. Also, I think it's cool to dig with more knowledgable dudes who'll school you and visceversa...

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    in a perfect world, the comradeship would be the go!
    unfortunately, it's a person by person affair
    share and share alike is a nice idea tho

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
    Rock, where are you? It sounds like you have an enviable scene and a good group of people you roll with.
    9 times out of ten I'm on time constraints so I guess I haven't fostered the kinds of ties with ppl that would make for good digging partners, and most of the people I grew up with and dug with in the past just aren't feelin it the way they used to. I find as a solitary effort its a good way to get some 'me' time while getting out of the house at the same time. On principle I agree that there is plenty to go around and the more spots you introduce ppl to the more you'll get back in return but in practice its a difficult thing to organize what with planning around work etc.
    What I will find myself doing is grabbing things I wouldn't otherwise pick up but that I know one or another trading partner would be happy to see and they do the same for me so we tend to cross fertilize each others collections that way even when we can't bring each other out.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I've always enjoyed digging with others. As others have pointed out, you can talk about records, get suggestions on things you haven't heard, etc.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    JATX said:
    West Texas

Can you find me a Little Jimmy Tyson please?

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    JATX said:
    i'd love to go dig with someone/people, but unfortunatly West Texas is deprived of culture. On that note: if any Strutters roll through West Texas send me a pm. I know a few spots around Abilene.

Peace

Jason

I'm in Lubbock

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    funky16corners said:
    Always best to dig with someone whose knowledge intersects with, but does not completely duplicate your own. Many fine records have been unearthed for others by me and vice versa.

this

I tend to head to new/bigger spots with just 1 local dude that i have been digging with for 11 years. There are a few other dudes that when I have the time we might go out for a day. These days I am basically so pushed for time that digging is normally done by myself purely for the fact that I do it on the way to work or appointments if I am ahead of time enough to stop. I also travel a lot for work so instead of stopping for lunch I will stop for a dig if I find anywhere I like.

• Options
    I like to drive and always try to go with friends. For me, seeing them come up on a score is like better than me coming up on a score. Makes the memories have more souls, too. I, also, like digging with kids around, especially ones that start flipping through the records, playing, and having fun. That is why I like going through boxes on the floor an wearing fun t-shirts with pictures on them.

Today I was wearing a tan t-shirt with lots of Southpole hightop sneaker all over it. Jayshawn was the boy. I would tilt the records towards him so I could look at the covers and he would tilt them back towards me. Then, his papa, Jared told him to stop. He got up, walked by me, and brushed my shirt. Then he got a half of a plastic Easter egg and started eating skittles out of it. I told him that I like skittles too. He asked if he could go outside and ride his bike. They said, in a little bit. I went back to diggin'. Then I felt him brush my back again. I maintained focus until he started making chompin noises back there. I asked him what he was doing. He said eating the shoes off your shirt. I laughed and he said he liked those shoes.

NorthernDealer10 said:
    I like to drive and always try to go with friends. For me, seeing them come up on a score is like better than me coming up on a score. Makes the memories have more souls, too. I, also, like digging with kids around, especially ones that start flipping through the records, playing, and having fun. That is why I like going through boxes on the floor an wearing fun t-shirts with pictures on them.

Today I was wearing a tan t-shirt with lots of Southpole hightop sneaker all over it. Jayshawn was the boy. I would tilt the records towards him so I could look at the covers and he would tilt them back towards me. Then, his papa, Jared told him to stop. He got up, walked by me, and brushed my shirt. Then he got a half of a plastic Easter egg and started eating skittles out of it. I told him that I like skittles too. He asked if he could go outside and ride his bike. They said, in a little bit. I went back to diggin'. Then I felt him brush my back again. I maintained focus until he started making chompin noises back there. I asked him what he was doing. He said eating the shoes off your shirt. I laughed and he said he liked those shoes.

Are you the guy who was posting as frisky_something or other awhile ago? what is this about?

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    I've had some of the most memorable trips w/dudes who didn't want to dig alone. Plus, it's fun to come up on a record/s in a group. Plus, give some love/education to those who may not know. Personally, records don't mean anything to me. I love them but, the experience of being with people and having fun is more than the value of any record. Doesn't mean I don't get excited when I come up and my dude doesn't. It just means that, that's part of the fun. And I think we both know it. Enjoy digging

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    This weekend I am digging with my twin brother for the first time ever and I can't wait. Him and I pretty much have shared the same hobbies throughout our life, we even have the same job. I've been on him to start buying up some vinyl and over the past few months he got hooked on it. Should be a great time of just being bros and maybe showing him the ropes.

NorthernDealer10 said:

no disrespect, i dont know you.......BUT that sounds a little paedophilic

Murdock said:
    Doesn't mean I don't get excited when I come up and my dude doesn't. It just means that, that's part of the fun. And I think we both know it.

glad you guys are enjoying those special moments ;)

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    NorthernDealer10 said:

BAN.... damn child molester

• Options
    Lol. I've never had record people say that about me before.

;)

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    NorthernDealer10 said:

This might be one of the funniest things I've read

NorthernDealer10 said:

;)

you're totally that same weirdo that was posting nonsense in the anxiety column before. not to be completely undiplomatic but why do you keep coming back and posting with different names?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    soundsreal said:
    NorthernDealer10 said:

;)

you're totally that same weirdo that was posting nonsense in the anxiety column before. not to be completely undiplomatic but why do you keep coming back and posting with different names?

And why do you keep using that winking gremlin?

• Options
    I like the winking gremlin, have been restraining myself from it's overuse, and will use it even less now to show that I try to be considerate.