80s Theme Party

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Friend is throwing an 80s themed birthday party for his girl. Sends along a playlist. Starts out typical Becky 80s choices. Then out of left field some Backstreet Boys, Nsync, and typical 90s hip hop/r&b you hear at EVERY middle of the road party. So I texted him asking what the deal was. Was it in fact an 80s theme? Told him I was confused. He said it was kind of both. 80 Themed, but they wanna jam out too.

So of course I agreed to play whatever they wanted, being the customers (and friends). I didn't bother to continue to argue the point with him that if your gonna throw an 80s party (quiver) stick to the theme. People are gonna look dumb doing the Macarena in neon spandex. I thought it would be fun to play all 80s. There's plenty of music where I don't have to play The Humpty Dance for the zillionth time.

Nah Mean? Just DJventing. Easy gig, but was hoping for something different.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sounds like hell.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Sounds like hell.

it will be.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Hope you charged enough to let it roll off your back. :balla:

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    bring that 90s shit, except don't play it until specifically requested on the night.

hopefully people will be having so much fun in the 80s, they wont think of wanting to hit the next decade.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Theres alot of good 90s shit that folks forget about.

batmon said:

do you mean 80s?

jaymack said:
    batmon said:

do you mean 80s?

Lets say your required to play 80% 80's joints and 20% 90's just cause.

Within the 20% or so 90s maybe a solid hour, there are plenty of second tier bangers that you could pair with the main 90s bangers just to make the game fun for oneself.

Now if the crowd is too young, when it comes to the 80s, they might not remember album cuts and remixes. Just Big 80's.
    Most older folks i would assume wouldnt have a half-theme party. They would go all out and stay in the decade.

This sounds like kids that didnt party in the 80s at all or were at kid b-day parties in 87, which seems to explain the "we wanna jam out too..."comment. They only really know 90s and are using the 80s as novelty.

batmon said:
    This sounds like kids that didnt party in the 80s at all or were at kid b-day parties in 87, which seems to explain the "we wanna jam out too..."comment. They only really know 90s and are using the 80s as novelty.

this.

So then.......

60/40 80s/90s

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    You can still play 70's stuff though, can't you?

I'm playing whatever they want. The book me for enough of these gags, i mean GIGS that I tell them to send along a song list. I set up the playlist on Virtual DJ and go drink. Its that kind of thing. That's how I keep it low priced for them. They're friends. It's not that serious.