record-dandruff

TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
So I gots this record my Dad wants me to record to CD. Its an old bluegrass record from the fiftes. I first cleaned it with a nostatic brush. Then with some "quality vinyl cleaner" and a soft cloth. The record now looks pretty clean.But when I play it, the record gets covered in some white stuff. Looks like somebody put dandruff all over the record. Do any of you knows what this is? What is this stuff? Is it because the needle cleans out the grooves? Or is it destroying the grooves? I've seen this stuff before, but only after I was scratching the hell out of a record. Is it time for a new needle or what?any dropped knowledge will be appreciated.

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    the EXACT same thing happens with a battle record that I have (and no other record). My guess is that once upon a time I cleaned it and added too much soap into the formula? or the solution had some bad chemical reaction and it is eating away at the vinyl?

Once you wipe all of that shit off, you play it again, and it comes back! but just where the needle has gone over right?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Yep, sounds like some kind of residue from your cleaning solution. A good rinse with distilled water could solve the problem. Also, it could be linth from your soft cloth. Was it white?

As long as the residue is not black, you're not destroying the record.
    I think to produce "vinyl residue" you have to play with a tracking force of 100 g

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It's gunk coming outta the grooves when you play it. happens to me with dirty records & I just use water to clean mine.