Is this a Tech Bubble or a Social Media one?

PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
WTF, I have been ignoring linked in requests for a decade, now people think this shit is useful?

What is the brand loyalty for Facebook? It only took off because it wasn't Myspace. This shit will all go Angelfire.

Groupon LOL.

Does anyone subscribe to the Sothebys Canary idea?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/56153-sotheby-s-falling-stock-as-a-market-indicator

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i gave in to linked in recently to contact an academic
    have not logged on back since
    people see it as a techsavy way to have a facebook CV
    it does not hurt to have one (well maintained) but i hate they bait you into paying to contact job offers

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Shit is getting so corporate that it's really jumped the shark.

I'm a kicking and screaming guy when it comes to social media... but right now it's better than nothing.

I want to get off Facebook soooo badly, but right now it's better than email.

The crazy shit is with all this tracking.... I don't want people knowing I am somewhere. Leave me alone.

I'll say this x 1,000,000 that Twitter is thee worst shit ever.

I don't care what Shaq had for breakfast.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    RAJ said:

I'm a kicking and screaming guy when it comes to social media... but right now it's better than nothing.

The crazy shit is with all this tracking.... I don't want people knowing I am somewhere. Leave me alone.

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/shaq-misses-entire-second-half-with-pulled-pork-sa,2895/

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    RAJ said:

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/shaq-misses-entire-second-half-with-pulled-pork-sa,2895/

From The Onion Sports Network:

Shaq Sits On Celtics Bench Enjoying Garbage Bag Filled With Popcorn

Twitter is so incredibly goddamn stupid. That just bears repeating.

Supposedly execs are all about LinkedIn these days. I just had to go to an editorial offsite earlier this week, and one of the discussions was about using social networking to promote articles (barf). LinkedIn is dwarfed by Facebook overall, but it's growing very fast of late.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• AndreBretonAndreBreton 344 Posts
    Twitter has actually made my career. In producing, recording/mixing. I started networking with local fools, and the word of mouth factor blew up. Twitter is what you make it. i hate the telephone, too but i still use it.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I don't post on Twitter personally, but if I want to know what's going on with some current event, I find it really useful. When news is breaking, if it's not on any of the big news sites yet, it's probably already been on Twitter for an hour.

The bin laden raid was on there for days before anyone even knew about it! Same deal with Sully Sullenbergers plane landing. I type in the artist and venue name after a concert, and find a gang of pics.

I have no idea how they'll monetize it in the long run, but if you think Twitter's all about celeb's breakfast tweets, I think you're missing the big picture. Although these Onion articles are killing it.

That said, the only people I've seen join LinkedIn are those who just lost their job.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

HA!
    Shaq at a Five Guys!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Unherd said:

The bin laden raid was on there for days before anyone even knew about it! Same deal with Sully Sullenbergers plane landing.

It was hours, not days, and Sullenberger's landing was on television literally within minutes of it happening.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Unherd said:

The bin laden raid was on there for days before anyone even knew about it! Same deal with Sully Sullenbergers plane landing.

It was hours, not days, and Sullenberger's landing was on television literally within minutes of it happening.

And so farking what anyway? Where's my flying car dammit? And I want my watch to be a phone, not my phone to be a watch.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    IMHO we will be in a tech bubble for the next twenty years, minimum.
    Innovation will come and go, we'll be left with what people find the most useful compromise of pragmatics and aesthetics.

The social bubble has lasted since mankind learned to talk.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Wait, Shaq plays for the Celtics?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Wait, Shaq plays for the Celtics?

No, but he has a contract with the team.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Unherd said:
    Sully Sullenbergers plane landing

forchrissakesifIneverhearaboutthiseventeveragainitllbetoosoon.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Dudes hating on Twitter sound real 2007 right now.

I mean, you don't have to use it like "I'm eating a burrito!" or follow people that do. I do not get any tweets that are akin to "I am at Shake Shack and I just saw Jude Law." Maybe that's your friends or some shit. Nobody is forcing you to read Rev Run re-tweets.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Never heard of Groupon before. Sounds like some kind of messy dump and wipe residue.

I recently finally gave in and joined LinkedIn when they made another stack of my colleagues redundant and I thought it might be about time to start calling in favours from industry people I've met over the years. The site kind of creeps me out though, especially the unsolicited people who want to be linked in with you for no obvious reason (beyond that I'm a hot 18 year old female who likes to party looking for night work).

I haven't managed to get off Facebook mainly because most people I know now use it instead of bothering to send emails about meet ups and events but I try to never log in as the news feed updates tend to leave me wanting to de-friend most of the people I know for being witless morons.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Groupon have some good deals around here if you want to eat out for 60% off or get the car serviced and valeted cut price. I pass on the cake decorating course and toot whiteneringer offers. Like, there's a car show on Sunday near us, family ticket ??25 but ??10 on Groupon. Dealth.

I've not tried twitter, beyond reading that Binkie West stuff. Please succinctly tell me what I need to do to send a tweet to a specific person, follow a person, or follow something like #WINNING? The recent super-injunction bithnith seems to have been all about the twit, and such mindless celebrity goss amuses me.

Co-sine on fb revealing some "Friends" as vacuous attention whores. What is the point of "Checking in" to places on fb? Do they give you free food/drink in the US in exchange for repping? Or is it just teenage becky I'm-in-with-the-in-crowd,in-place currency?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    LinkedIn is definitely worth doing on a business front with a lot of bizdev, recruitment and headhunting going on directly based on profiles and common connections.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    twitter is entirely what you make it. it can be the most powerful tool on the internet and it can be the most pointless. its all about who you follow really. and who follows you, simple as that.

people that twit about eating nandos all day get blocked. the charlie brookers and the grace dents of this world are invaluable when theres a royal wedding on though.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I think Linked In usage varies a lot depoending on the industry you are in. I asked some friends recently how many were using it and got nearly unanimous "not me" from the creative types, but one friend (he works in water conservation/management) said that he has found it an invaluable resource for leads and that it has "literally made my business". I remain skeptical myself.

I don't tweet, but I find it entertaining/useful to read IF you follow the right people. This group doesn't include too many actors, rappers, ballplayers, etc.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    hatting on twitter is on some real old man shit at this point. i used to think it was stupid too, but now it really is the best news source on the planet

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    because i am assuming that you started this thread because of linkedin's IPO....this is an interesting post

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/05/19/at-linkedins-valuation-apple-would-be-worth-3-trillion/?mod=yahoo_hs&utm_source=Triggermail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Apple Investor&utm_campaign=AppleInvestor_Newsletter_052011

At LinkedIn???s current valuation of roughly $10 billion, LinkedIn is trading at roughly 41 times its 2010 net revenue. If Apple were trading at the same multiple, it would have a market value of $2.7 trillion.

for you twitter believers......the first twitter-information-based hedge fund started up....info here...http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/05/the-worlds-first-twitter-based-hedge-fund-is-finally-open-for-business/239097/

based on the linkedin IPO, facebook IPO is going to absolutely bonkers. im sure zuckerberg et al. was watching it very closely. i believe the latest private market shares that have been traded value facebook at around 80-90 billion and they actually have legit revenues of around 4 billion.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yeah, tech bubble... LinkedIn will be done IMO over their IPO.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/21/opinion/21nocera.html?_r=1&hp;