City Strutters - Dealing w/ Neighbors Related

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Probably could put this post in the "things that piss you off" thread but anyway...

So me and the chick live in a loft space in Brooklyn. Nothing crazy, but a 6 unit spot (its a Co-Op, and we are the only ones who rent). It was basically made in a manner where the building could have just as easily been used for offices/mix, but instead it was used for residential living (i.e. its not a brownstone or anything like that). Oh yeah, and it has wood floors.

So after 1.5 years of living here, the downstairs neighbors are starting to throw a big hissy fit with all the "noise" me and the chick make. Mind you, i am getting old and we got full time jobs, so at best we are there and awake 6-7hrs a day, and we are not having parties or staying up till 4am.

From our point of view, we are living life like proper adults. No crazy noise or loud music. We have some carpets in the spot. And we are mindful to take our shoes off usually. We even have given them heads up when we have had people over before for a surprise party. Point being, we have recognized that the building has crap insulation, so we are trying to be good neighbors.

So after several passive-aggressive comments & conversations from our downstairs neighbor (on some, "i know you aren't doing anything wrong, but its just kinda loud") they have gone and sent a letter to our landlord. I suspect they are probably sending one to the co-op board as well. Right now our landlord has our back, but as she is the only one who rents, i have a feeling that the board will probably lean to those that own rather than those that rent.

What's the Strut consensus on this type of situation? Right now , mine is on some "FU" go move to fucking Connecticut if you can't deal. I am a pretty chill dude, but this couple have me pissed. Do you think City folk need to be a lot more understanding to this type of ordeal with noise, or do you fall in the "Owners win -out" camp? Do you think I owe it to shag carpet my whole place to appease the cats? FYI, we hear our upstairs neighbors too, but don't make an issue out of it.

Personally, I suspect my neighbors are just pissed that they invested heavily in a spot with shit insulation. To make matters worse, they have a lofted bed within their space, so their bed is even closer to the ceiling than would be. I told my landlord that if the board wants to re-insulate the space fine, but i am not about to put my money down just for my space when the whole construction of the building is at fault.

/rant

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    try and speak to the asshole couple and explain it's an insulation issue not you are loud
    anyone living there would be loud
    you have to endure the pussyfooting and excessive complaints of people with thin walls and no patience

we have similar neighbors and they tried to pull some shit
    they work in a restaurant so they come home late and have to sleep until 11am
    they sent a letter to our landlord since i played music (not loud and like mellow harp jazz) in the morning...they could have told us in person
    then they wrote a passive aggressive letter
    i myself do not party much (inhouse) and am respectful so we agreed to not play anything (i even kept the morning news at below audible levels) before 11
    after something like 14 months we forgot what time it was and played classic guitar record at 10:15
    two tracks in the women rings our doorbell...i tell her i forgot and we have been respectful for over a year...and she says her sleep is disturbed and her husband said ''not again''
    they are an elderly couple so i apologized and swallowed my pride and inner steam
    but basically you have to cool the fire and expect no compromise or the nagging continues

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    chill with the irish jigs and riverdancing, son.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Go to the mattresses. This aggression will not stand.

No, for real, it sounds like you've done everything you can short of throwing acoustic insulation foam on your floors and walls. Does the condo board have an open-style meeting where you can plead your side?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    you're renting, so why would u put money into insulating a place you don't own? fuck that...

i had a friend who had similar issues (lived in a converted loft in BK) and his downstairs neighbors bought him a plush rug... it solved things, b/c every time he walked on the rug (which was a damn nice rug, actually), it served 2 purposes:

1) muffled footsteps really well
    2) reminded him to be mindful of the guy downstairs

honestly, if you aren't actually being noisy, i don't know what they can do to you, although i have zero experience w/ co-op boards...

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    they have board meetings each month or so, but as we are not owners, I don't know how much say we would even have. Also, this Co-Op is included with a few others on the block that are strangely inter connected without actually being apart of the same structure, so other board members probably don't even realize the acoustic issue with our specific building.

i am not about to lose sleep over this, but I'd also prefer not to live in a place where i have to mean mug my neighbors each time i see them. i get the feeling, its just the nature of how they are.

its just annoying, because aside from them, pretty much everything else about our spot (and other neighbors) is very cool. to me this just reeks of people that don't want to grasp that there is always a downside to living in a city and a building with neighbors. by a fucking house in the country if you don't want to hear anyone.

jlee said:
    by a fucking house in the country if you don't want to hear anyone.

Seriously. It's New York City. Might as well be pissed that the sky is blue.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    have you talked to neighbors who have similar issues? if so, how do they get around it? is this the only interaction you've had with the downstairs neighbors? you said that this is something recent, so have you guys changed something up? have you approached them man to (wo)man during a time when they're not complaining to discuss the situation, asking what the possibilities are to appease them or how they keep quiet for the neighbors below them?

it doesn't hurt to ask questions and show that you're making attempts to do something about it as opposed to having what could be perceived as passive-aggressive exchange. it sucks to make enemies with the people that you live with / around.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Have one of them walk around your place while the other listens in the apartment down below. They need to understand that it's gravity, not you.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Chick?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Throw an all-nighter with the biggest PA you can find.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Don't be an Okie your whole life. You know what to do.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Chick?

ha...meant as a term of endearment for my GF.

As for dealings with the neighbors themselves, we have had some discussion over the months. truth be told, this has come up about 3-5 times in the total time we have been living there (so once every 3 mos or so, they will make a comment).

i have no problem being mindful of them, and also getting checked IF i am in the wrong (which i admit, have been when i first moved in). but this really seems like an issue where they are mad at the building acoustics and taking it out on us as a result. the fact that they have a lofted bed is doing them no favors either.

we've toyed with the idea of having them come over and walk around just to hear, but i really would like to avoid the, "well just put a carpet here, or here, or here. I suppose we are going to have to go down that road though, just to try and avoid things going forward.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Don't be an Okie your whole life. You know what to do.

haha...sayin. bout to have a fucking break dancing contest in this bitch.

b/w
    OKC in 6. fusk dallas.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    jlee said:
    OKC in 6. fusk dallas.

I'm with you all the way on that, hoss.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i feel your pain. i own two house on a row of 3. the last one is owned by a lady and her 8 year old (and her two cute college daughters who are semi moved out). she goes to work at 5am and is a sleep by 9pm. so when i was working on the middle house, which for years was an abandoned moldy squatters drug house, she was up my ass constantly about noise. i tried my damdest to not work after 9pm. we get along decent tho and i thought she would be happy to have a wonderful family i have known for years move in next door to her when i started renting it in october. this fam has 2 beautiful daughters, 7 & 2 and is the most peaceful kind family unit ever. my old neighbor hates them. "theyre ignorant" "they make too much noise" "he was rude to me" "tony, i know i can be a bitch, but i dont like them". i swear she was happier living next to a crack house.

anyway, all that being said. its your neighbor and you dont want to put your mad face on the second you walk out the door. kill them with kindness. by all means dont start buying shit or hampering your life excessively. yo ushouldnt have to tiptoe around an apt you probably pay lots of money for. invite them over for tea...show them how you and your girl live and walk...talk about possible solutions. they need to understand that you cant afford to go carpeting your floors or insulating them. they are fools, but they arent your enemy. the shoddy corner cutting work of the condo rehabbers/investors are the enemy. they knew damn well how much money they would save by not insulating between floors

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Tell them they should have bought both floors if they want it quiet.
    Put your speakers facedown on the floor and leave some Eurotrance CD on autorepeat before going to work.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Frank said:

Put your speakers facedown on the floor and leave some Eurotrance CD on autorepeat before going to work.

^^^^^^^

This

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    while i appreciate all the recommendations for getting all GABBER up in this bitch and making them nutz with the Euroman music, i think 3double probably hit it on the head with this....

tripledouble said:
    they are fools, but they arent your enemy. the shoddy corner cutting work of the condo rehabbers/investors are the enemy. they knew damn well how much money they would save by not insulating between floors

I suspect that they have a bigger issue with our landlord (who renovated the place just before we moved in too). i suspect its probably been an ongoing issue with them, and unfortunately we are the ones that are having to deal with them now.

not trying to get walked on by them either, but i'll probably try to err on the side of understanding (at least for now).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Have they specified what kind of noisy, though?
    Your walking? Doors banging? Music?
    I mean, has it been specified so you can all come to an understanding/compromise/solution?

Them sleeping closer to the ceiling, and your floor, is definitely not helping and that decision is really on them.

edit - Tom's post about hating folks having to make it all self-referential has me on my toes, but here goes..I had never wanted to own a house and after living in two back-to-back horrible rental situations in downtown Toronto, I realized the only way to get away from other people's schedules and habits is to buy a fully detached house.
    to me this just reeks of people that don't want to grasp that there is always a downside to living in a city and a building with neighbors. by a fucking house in the country if you don't want to hear anyone.
    So there is stock in that; you can't change people, you have to just get away from them.

The last place before the house, I lived on the middle floor of a three-storey. The dude upstairs walked so hard that all the glass in my place shook. I am not even exaggerating. His deck was above the bedroom so every time he dragged the patio furniture around and banged in and out of the place - it meant hours of no sleep. How do you even have that conversation? It's basically telling someone how to live! I finally had to say something about the stomping when something fell off the mantle. I started with "This is going to sound ridiculous, but..." He was totally embarrassed, and so was I, but his gallop got a lot lighter after that.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    bassie said:
    Have they specified what kind of noisy, though?
    Your walking? Doors banging? Music?
    I mean, has it been specified so you can all come to an understanding/compromise/solution?.

just walking around seems to be the big issue. again, we are mindful enough to take our shoes off and stuff, but it the end i think anything we do won't be good enough because of the acoustics of the place.

now that this issue is escalating, i am really going to focus on keeping this issue between owners. based on past conversations, i am pretty sure dude realizes its hardly a party up at our place, so i am hoping his issue is with the structure of the building more than an issue with its occupants.

i'm down to work with them, but not trying to take on additional costs or go out of my way to change what should be considered "normal living for the city". i'm gonna move some rugs around tonight and see if that helps.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Sounds like the contractor AND the landlord are at fault. And if the house was once a single family unit, I'm sure the contractor and the building's owner cut some corners i.e. not properly bracing the joist to lessen bouncing and squeaking, sound dampening insulation/drywall etc.

• AndreBretonAndreBreton 344 Posts
    Tell them they are 100% correct. You don't have a right to walk in your own apartment. Learn to levitate.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    under NO circumstances should you be putting any money whatsoever towards home improvement. just not your responsibility as a renter. this is a slippery situation, but it's actually very simple. they cant evict you for walking around in your own house. while it would be great if you guys could get on without every having this discussion again, it's just not going to happen. the fact that you've even entertained their complaints, and still they continue, has maybe shown them that you do in fact care, and now they're going to see if they can walk all over you. you will never be playing on the same field as them in their eyes because you're "just a renter".

in my opinion, i'd say smile and wave...... but dont make any changes to your life just to meet their fragile needs.

also...... send them a cc: of this thread here. not even for the suggestions that people have been giving you, but i'm sure you've said things in here that you would never tell them, but they desperately need to hear.

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Frank said:

^^^^^^^

This

Agree. What they need is some context. They're probably spoiled due to you being overly well behaved most of the time. Show them what a real reason to complain is, then go back back to your normal incredibly polite selves and see if they get it. This is a lesson they'll have to learn eventually, and not everyone is going to be so nice about it as you have been.

• marwal_bustmarwal_bust 195 Posts
    This thread sounds like a bunch of people that don't live below stompers/loud people who don't realize how loud they are. ME = I live below a dopey 'Flyer' and his GF and little shit yappy dogz...I have to listen to their life daily, dogs runing into walls for food, being left, especially when they leave---yapyapyap-dogs (over and over again).

In my case, not fully knowing your situation, sayin', it is painful to listen to other's noise when u live below it no matter how quiet U think it is...all I hear when the people above me are home is 'running down the stairs when ur 13 at ur mom's house' (unintentional right?)

Grown steez all day/why I hate it.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    PUT IN A CALL TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD ELDERS

my building is pretty old, with wood floors and shitty insulation. sound travels vertically but not side to side through the walls, so I always have to remind myself that it could be even worse. Luckily, my loud upstairs neighbors are jesus freaks and while they're loud (they sing...they actually sing. horrible white churchy singing.), they follow the rules and always shut up by 9pm. They only fuck about once every three months, so that's good for me too.
    I'm an adult that lives in an apartment in the city (and occasionally drinks a few beers and blasts records), so I can't really tell them to shut up too often. We're all in this together.* That "move to Connecticut" angle really is all you have to say.
    I had a friend that was a loud asshole and would tell neighbors, "oh, you can't sleep?--well you're just not tired enough!" LOL

*except for when that rapture shit happens and I'm left behind or whatever

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Almond said:
    Have one of them walk around your place while the other listens in the apartment down below. They need to understand that it's gravity, not you.

Yeah, this one.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think this is on them to fix. You're renting. They are the ones that bought the place without doing their due diligence. As long as there isn't proper insulation between floors, the problem will persist whether you live there or not, and the next tenants may not go to such efforts to minimize the noise. If they are going to ever get a satisfactory solution to the problem beyond complaining to the upstairs neighbor, they are either going to have to get a third party to insulate above their ceilings, or do it themselves. They're in it for the long-term. It behooves them to fix their living quarters to their satisfaction. It's not your responsibility beyond the observance of common courtesy.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    not your responsibility especially as i dont think this problem is going to be fixed by replacing you with any other renters (you know people who will actually walk around their apartment). so fuck the downstairs neighbor, i learned to deal with two girls who seemed to walk around in high heels all the time above me.

• I used to live on the top floor of a Victorian House, flat conversion. Yes, wooden floors. The old boy downstairs was knocking on 75+, having respect for elders I befriended him and helped him out when possible, generally just gave him the time of day.

Over the course of 2 years he gradually started moaning more and more about noise, even though my partner and I were extremely considerate in that regard. Especially considering our collective interests here, it was a real pain in the arse constantly keeping music down.

I eventually decided that a dwelling lacking in the correct insulation was more detrimental to my own lifestyle than it was to the moaning neighbours. Hence I took the decision to move out.

My final week in that property was, well, loud to say the least. You really shouldn't moan about noise to a man with a Marshall stack..

Dosn't sound like your property suits your needs.. Fuck the neighbours, make some noise and move on...