please to school me on norway

hungovermulattohungovermulatto 168 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
gonna be there for 3 weeks in july and have a car... figure a week in oslo, week in stavanger/bergen, and a week just playing it by ear... any insight?

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    paging the nutsons

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    prepare to spend some serious money. everything is expensive. i'm here working for the summer, but luckily living in digs on site and only really having to buy food. heading into oslo this saturday to do some window digging. i've been told there is a nice jazz place here with a cafe upstairs.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Nice country, but as mentioned damn expensive. People are very laid back and friendly in that typical Scandanavian way. I visited Trondheim in 2009 and 2010 to DJ and had a great time.

The Atlantic Road was last year voted the most beautiful car journey in the world by British newspaper The Guardian, below is a link if you fancy driving it...

http://www.visitkristiansund.com/en/Artikler/Focus-on-the-Atlantic-Road/

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    Rishan said:
    i've been told there is a nice jazz place here with a cafe upstairs.

The place is called "Bare Jazz". Has a nice back yard with a chilled atmosphere. They're playing jazz of course.

If you have a car, and are going to stay for three weeks, I would go to see fjords on the west coast of norway. Hardangerfjorden, Geirangerfjorden etc. They're incredible. I would not consider any other options before you've done that. Especially since you have so much time and a car.

In Norway it is allowed to go camping (almost) everywhere, so if the weather is fine and you spend your time outside of the cities you can sleep for free if you have a tent. It is also safe to do so. Maybe you could do that if you're going to see the big fjords if the budget is tight? You are also allowed to barbecue in the parks in the cities. If you're not travelling alone or are meeting someone in Norway thats a nice thing to do if you don't want to eat out (which is very expensive).