MOTHERLODE - When I Die (for Big Stacks! rare video footage)

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
I was wondering when any video footage of this Canadian band would show up on Youtube, and here it is...for Big Stacks. He and I were sitting in a Chicago burrito joint about a month ago enthusing over how great his group was (not just the one hit, seen below). I was talking about how I would love to find Motherlode's Tapped Out album on Buddah, and what do I find at Dusty Groove right after the meal was over...? Record karma done smiled on me!

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    I was wondering when any video footage of this Canadian band would show up on Youtube, and here it is...for Big Stacks. He and I were sitting in a Chicago burrito joint about a month ago enthusing over how great his group was (not just the one hit, seen below). I was talking about how I would love to find Motherlode's Tapped Out album on Buddah, and what do I find at Dusty Groove right after the meal was over...? Record karma done smiled on me!

Hey Pickwick,

Thanks for posting the video, bruh. Yes, the Motherlode was a great, forgotten group among the masses (beyond record nerds and hip-hop producers). That was so crazy how you found the very LP you were talking about minutes after we discussed it. Did I find it while looking through the bins, or did you? I thought I handed it over to you, but I'm old, so I could be wrong in my recollection. Anyway, that was a crazy stroke of good fortune, and more importantly, it was a great meeting and hanging out with you and the Chicago crew.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    the Motherlode was a great, forgotten group among the masses (beyond record nerds and hip-hop producers).

"When I Die" was actually a Top 20 hit in 1969 in the US, but you hardly ever hear it on oldies shows.

It even appears on The Best Of Buddah, a TV mail-order package on GRT Records that sometimes turns up in used bins.

That was so crazy how you found the very LP you were talking about minutes after we discussed it. Did I find it while looking through the bins, or did you? I thought I handed it over to you, but I'm old, so I could be wrong in my recollection.

I was the one who found it, but I distinctly remember not wanting to spend any more money than I did that day. I was going to put it on hold, but since it was Record Store Day, they wanted to sell all the pieces they could; holding records for a week was out of the question. In the meantime, you were gently persuading me ("if you don't buy it, I will!"). So it resides in my collection now! Glad I bought it. And good hanging with you, too!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    the Motherlode was a great, forgotten group among the masses (beyond record nerds and hip-hop producers).

"When I Die" was actually a Top 20 hit in 1969 in the US, but you hardly ever hear it on oldies shows.

It even appears on The Best Of Buddah, a TV mail-order package on GRT Records that sometimes turns up in used bins.

That was so crazy how you found the very LP you were talking about minutes after we discussed it. Did I find it while looking through the bins, or did you? I thought I handed it over to you, but I'm old, so I could be wrong in my recollection.

I was the one who found it, but I distinctly remember not wanting to spend any more money than I did that day. I was going to put it on hold, but since it was Record Store Day, they wanted to sell all the pieces they could; holding records for a week was out of the question. In the meantime, you were gently persuading me ("if you don't buy it, I will!"). So it resides in my collection now! Glad I bought it. And good hanging with you, too!

Hey Pickwick,

I figured my recollection of events was inaccurate. It was a great find indeed, and I figured you'd regret it if you didn't purchase it that day. I can empathize greatly with regrets about passing over LPs, only to take years to find them again. You're right about "When I Die," but no one really brings them up when discussing great tunes (or groups) of that era. Funny enough, I had the GRT comp first, and tracked down the "When I Die" LP after the fact.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Pickwick, you may be interested/appalled to find out that Motherlode regained a little bit of currency a few years ago when DJ Shadow sampled something of theirs. For a minute there, everybody who wanted that record was either in their forties or their twenties.

And no one cares, but that Smitty Smith solo record has a nice beach/shag cut on it.

james said:
    Pickwick, you may be interested/appalled to find out that Motherlode regained a little bit of currency a few years ago when DJ Shadow sampled something of theirs. For a minute there, everybody who wanted that record was either in their forties or their twenties.

I figured that out the last time there was a Motherlode "When I Die" thread.

And no one cares, but that Smitty Smith solo record has a nice beach/shag cut on it.

That album was a common sight in used bins for the longest time - probably still is, but I'm so used to seeing it that it's no big thing. Anyway, it was a long time before I pieced it together that he was the guy from Motherlode. There's also a David Clayton-Thomas album from '72 or '73 that Smitty appears on (he's pictured in the inner gatefold laffin' it up with David), and I think he might have been active as a session musician after that.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    More well know recent use of "when i die" was a sample on Dilla's 'Donuts' as well

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Probably haven't listened to When I Die in a decade, its a lot better than I remembered...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pickwick and daddy stack convo = :feelin_it:

jaymack said:
    More well know recent use of "when i die" was a sample on Dilla's 'Donuts' as well

Hey Jaymack,

Believe it or not, I sampled it for an outro on one of my old demos back in 1993. I'll post it in a day or so.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thanks for the footage!
    i just hipped my homie to a buy it now of Tapped Out on the bay for $10.
    i rarely see Tapped out, tough to find...and it definitely shouldnt be over looked...groovers, play out tracks,breaks,samples. nice ass record! i recently pulled it out and gonna have to do the same to When I die. didnt realize there was a donut on it!

And even better: the mp3 link to "When I Die" that Day posted in that other Motherlode thread still works, and that was four years ago. Thanks, man. Just DLed, and I foresee multiple iPod plays ahead: http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/42678/